Feature requests for 28nm GPUs?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by gongo, Feb 26, 2011.

1. gongo

Regular

Do you think AMD/Nvidia will listen.....?

Imho, Cayman is a huge improvement over RV770 in non-graphics related features....things like Powerplay working as it should..better blower etc...Have not used Nvidia since G8x generation, no comments there.

Do we have more things AMD/Nvidia can add to their next gen GPU? I think for a start...like to see some power gating....AFAIK GPUs today go idle by having 2-3 clocks and voltage stages...rudimentary. I thought by nature GPUs are easier to power gate? There are many processors units....just shutting down half of them should have enough power left for Flash acceleration......and GPUs do not need instant on state when loading DX3D games....no?

The other thing i like to see is independent HD Video and HD Audio outputs..i know Dave mentioned that HDMI standards are followed presently....but what about Displayports? DVI-D? Thunderbolt? I think PC is a product where one can expect....more options and tweak-ability...

2. Davros

Legend

In a way I think ms buggered it up with using pixel shaders for the os
    imagine a card with a separate 2d chip and a memory chip using todays processes we could make the chip incredibly tiny then we could shut the whole gfx card down more or less

3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I think they do use clock gating in addition to reducing clocks, and voltage. Power gating is another thing entirely however it would seem.

Apparantly, a CPU like the Core i7 series uses millions of power gate trannies. And CPUs are relatively light-weight in logic transistors, the majority is cache which doesn't draw that much power. With today's multi-billion transistor GPUs, where the vast majority is powerhungry logic I can't even imagine how many power gates would be needed to shut those things down. Reasons of practicality may be why they're not gated; at least at the moment.

4. Davros

Legend

Exactly wouldnt it be simpler to have a separate 2d only chip on the card, now days something like that would be very small and cheap(the nv3 only had 3.5m transistors and even that is far too complex for our needs), that way you could shut the whole gpu off

5. DarthShader

Regular

I am afraid, the 28nm design are in such stage of development, that adding something significant is not possible anymore. :)

But if you change the 28nm to 20nm, we might have a chance! :D

6. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I'd like a revolution in quiet radial fan airflow. ;) Otherwise they seem to have everything under control lol.

7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Someone convince Dyson to make a video card sized version of...

http://www.dyson.com/fans/

:)

Regards,
    SB

8. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

You need a $300 gpu cooler?

9. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Those things have like zero static pressure. They couldn't push air throgh a sieve, much less a large complex heatsink like used in today's PC hardware. Besides, they're enormous, and how much power do they use? Radials have huge static pressure (and quite high airflow too), which is why they're used.

10. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That may be true with regards to static pressure I haven't tried one myself. But according to reviews it's much quieter (which is what the person I was replying to was interested in), has much smoother airflow, produces the same airflow as similarly sized fans, does it more efficiently (hence less power use), etc.

The downside, of course, is that it's by Dyson. A company that regularly overprices their products. They are basically the Apple of the vacuum, hairdryer, and fan world. :p It was interesting seeing quite a few reviews mentioning they finally had a nicely designed fan to go with their nicely designed Apple products. :D

Regards,
    SB