"Fast Triangle Reordering for Vertex Locality and Reduced Overdraw" implementation

gjaegy

Newcomer
Hi,

I would like to know if someone has already implemented the following paper and would like to share the source code for it, of knows an already existing open source implementation (don't want to use ATI Tootle - closed source):

Fast Triangle Reordering for Vertex Locality and Reduced Overdraw
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/gfx/pubs/Sander_2007_>TR/tipsy.pdf

What do you think of this algorithm ?

Cheers,
Gregory

Hi,

I implemented this paper one year ago. With a G80, I observed a gain only with few meshes whose triangles are not well organized. For instance, I had a subdivided object where subdivided triangles are not drawn according to their locality. As expected, I obtained a significant improvement by using this triangle reordering. On the other hand, I think that common modelers (Maya, 3DS etc.) save meshes with respect to the locality of the triangles. As a consequence, I didn't improve the efficiency in common situations. In fact, in order to exhibit a performance gain, I had to reorder the triangle indexes in a chaotic manner.

Have you also implemented the overdraw reduction part ?

I guess one has to update the index buffers each frames to achieve this, right ?

This is the part I am interested to reduce the pixel shading processing time...

No, I didn't...

I have only implemented the first part of the paper since the targeted renderer was based on differed shading.

No, that's the beauty of the technique: it's view independent
Really ?? I should then definitively take time to have a closer look at the paper then ;) I expected to have the clusters being reordered each frames...

So, nobody has fully implemented it yet, appart ATI Tootle ?

Back