Far texture flickering ..

Discussion in 'Beginners Zone' started by DavidGraham, Feb 26, 2013.

1. DavidGraham

Veteran

Sometimes in the distance of some scenes , certain textures flicker regularly , that happens independent of the AF or texture resolution setting used .. it is constant in many view angles , and could disappear when getting close to it.

I know this is probably a bug in the game , but I was wondering what could have caused it ? insufficient mip-map samples ?

I have a near pathetic sample of this problem , it doesn't closely represent the issue , but it is similar , notice the base of the impaler :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wyTtksDpTVg#t=33s

#1 DavidGraham, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
  2. DavidGraham

Veteran

Some explanations reveal that these are z-fighting issues which happens where overlapping textures of equal z-buffer values flicker into view alternately .. it sounds reasonable , but I am not sure .

3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Probably Z-precision related, from what you describe. It happens in some games, usually with quite far view distances, and typically involving things like lakes and such that have two parallel surfaces close together where the water and lake bottom polygons will flicker in and out, or clip through one another, often in a feather-like distortion-pattern.

4. DavidGraham

Veteran

5. Andrew Lauritzen

Moderator Veteran

The issue in the ME video is massive shadow map fail, but I agree in general it's mostly z-fighting. There's really no excuse for these days, but yeah.

6. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I wanna make a reality show called "Z-FIGHTS!" now for some reason...

7. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

You can see raster trash z-fight on Vertex Springer every week. It's so pathetic.