Fallout 76 [XO, PS4]

Kotaku's Jason Schrier says he has heard that it is going to be "an online game of some sort". Hype levels falling. :/

Ooof, I wonder if they are deliberately using low poly models for the trailer, or if that was all in engine (game?) and the engine is still that limited? So many sharp polygon angles on what should be curved surfaces.

[edit] And yeah, reports are that it'll be based on an online "service model."

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Kotaku's Jason Schrier says he has heard that it is going to be "an online game of some sort". Hype levels falling. :/
Yup.

Obsidian (New Vegas' dev team) had already stated they weren't working on anything related to this reveal, and looking at how they iterate between franchises, Bethesda's main team should be working on the next Elder Scrolls.

Apparently there's a 4chan user from back in December 2017 that said Bethesda was going to present a game titled Fallout 76:

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/401449791/#401465240
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/416037430/#416041628
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/418017607/#418029052

The only other info the user had to give was that the game was a Rust clone and it's set along the interstate highway.

Rust is an indie multiplayer FPS where characters start off using sticks and stones and throughout the game they gather resources to evolve their weapons and armor. They can also build structures at some point.
From the makers of Garry's Mod.

It sure looks like something that would fit the Fallout universe.

EDIT: oh and in case any of you wondered, yes. Rust does have a battle royale mode.

Obsidian (New Vegas' dev team) had already stated they weren't working on anything related to this reveal, and looking at how they iterate between franchises, Bethesda's main team should be working on the next Elder Scrolls.

I've also been hearing rumors that Bethesda might not make a new TES game as long as they are still developing and promoting ESO.

The thinking behind that is that any new TES game would take away users (money) from ESO, and that is something that Bethesda doesn't want to happen.

So, I'd be happy if those people were wrong and Bethesda gave up on ESO and made a mainline TES game.

If those people are correct, I can't even imagine what Bethesda would have to announce at E3 now that they've announced this Fallout side project and Rage 2. So, my money is still on a new TES game, but I do have some doubts now.

Regards,
SB

I've also been hearing rumors that Bethesda might not make a new TES game as long as they are still developing and promoting ESO.

The thinking behind that is that any new TES game would take away users (money) from ESO, and that is something that Bethesda doesn't want to happen.
This sounds terrible.. Is Bethesda making that much money with ESO? The thing is 4 years old now..

Seems like it's a Rust-alike Fallout game, ie. online survival.

This sounds terrible.. Is Bethesda making that much money with ESO? The thing is 4 years old now..

I've heard reports that it's one of the top 3 Western MMOs (WoW, FFXIV, and ESO). While it's not even remotely close to being as popular as WoW, it does have a lot of players. When it went Buy Once to Play (like GW2) it got a large boost in player count and player retention. Instead of a monthly subscription, they now use micro-transactions like GW2 for cosmetics and convenience items.

This can prove more profitable than a subscription based service as long as you can retain player interest. WoW gets the best of both worlds, they have a subscription service AND micro-transaction based cosmetics and convenience items.

Regards,
SB

Every time Todd Howard is asked about TES6 he says "it's a very long way off".

Starfield
, an openworld space-based RPG, is likely going to be their next big game. Todd Howard keeps re-iterating that BGS don't want to be a two-IP studio which is kind of what they've become. Pete Hines said just in February that BGS would release "two big games" before TES6 so the next Elder Scrolls game is years off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, 72 better than the current game.

Seems like it's a Rust-alike Fallout game, ie. online survival.

Rust-like seems a given but the degree of its online / multiplayer nature seems to be drawing more reserved comments from the people who seem to be familiar with more details than are public. I don't game online but a game that works as a single player experience or non-PVP where I can largely ignore other players works for me - assuming I even like what they show! :yep2:

If it's a modern Fallout game, no. It's it's spin-off, yes.
they need a new engine for either of them. Their current engine is just a mess. I rather they start filling in the gap with a survial game for art work and what not and then have it ready for a mainline fallout game in the future then them continuing with the current engine.

they need a new engine for either of them. Their current engine is just a mess. I rather they start filling in the gap with a survial game for art work and what not and then have it ready for a mainline fallout game in the future then them continuing with the current engine.

I'd say, and have argued before, that Bethesda's current iteration of the Creation engine (built on Gamebryo) with all it's all faults, is well suited for Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Games where there are literally tens of millions of individual assets that need to be tracked and rendered. If you want a game where moving tiny assets around gameplay environments for gameplay purposes isn't your bailiwick then another engine may do.

If you still want/need to do that, what are yours options? Because I don't see any. :nope:

I'd say, and have argued before, that Bethesda's current iteration of the Creation engine (built on Gamebryo) with all it's all faults, is well suited for Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Games where there are literally tens of millions of individual assets that need to be tracked and rendered. If you want a game where moving tiny assets around gameplay environments for gameplay purposes isn't your bailiwick then another engine may do.

If you still want/need to do that, what are yours options? Because I don't see any. :nope:

How do you know that ID Tech 6 can't do it or can't be modified. Gamebryo is a buggy mess and its having trouble scaling in terms of visuals.

How do you know that ID Tech 6 can't do it or can't be modified. Gamebryo is a buggy mess and its having trouble scaling in terms of visuals.

id Tech 6 can certainly be modified but who can say whether it would turn it better performance post-modification than what Bethesda have now. And even if it did, would the time out in terms of productivity and and devs learning now tools be worth it?

Gamebryo was an engine which, in my experience, crashed often. Creation Engine is an engine which, in my experience crashes far far less.

id Tech 6 can certainly be modified but who can say whether it would turn it better performance post-modification than what Bethesda have now. And even if it did, would the time out in terms of productivity and and devs learning now tools be worth it?

Gamebryo was an engine which, in my experience, crashed often. Creation Engine is an engine which, in my experience crashes far far less.
Well Id tech 6 would be a more modern engine with a lot better engine. Creation engine as found in fallout 4 still crashed and was buggy while the new doom ran flawlessly on even old hardware.

Creation engine as found in fallout 4 still crashed and was buggy while the new doom ran flawlessly on even old hardware.

I don't disagree, but the the challenges each engine is designed to solve is very different. If you stretch id Tech 6 to render an 100,000 individual objects each frame (which its not what it's designed for) and throw in more complex scripting and AI, will it run better? If you say yes, please provide evidence.

Back