Fallout 4's Stunning Lighting

lefantome

Newcomer
Fallout 4 engines has so many issues but there is one thing I really love: its lighting.
I love the colors, I love the bloom, I love how the PBR materials react.
What's their secret?

In this post they have revealed that the game is using filmic tonemapping but nothing else.

latest
latest
Fallout4_graph02.jpg

I heard they use a tiled deferred lightning, but I am not aware of any other details.. At least they quitted with pure forward

I think this is a much better example of what this super duper "stunning" lighting actually aimed to achieve.

2mn2ds3.jpg

Over tesselated baked in lighting under a bed? Sure no problem no one will notice and as long as it gives us a performance advantage it's fine.

Last edited:
I think this is a much better example of what this super duper "stunning" lighting actually aimed to achieve.
Over tesselated baked in lighting under a bed? Sure no problem no one will notice and as long as it gives us a performance advantage it's fine.
If I'm not mistaken, NV only pushed tessellation to godrays, not all lightsources

Aside from outdoors in the sunlight, and the occasional light source that does do shadows, I would say the lighting is definitely not impressive. Static, mysteriously consistent lighting that makes me think of 10 year old games. Rooms that should be pitch black but instead have mystery ambient light. Who woulda thunk this would still be the case in 2015.

The lasers don't seem to cause any illumination. Quake 2 did more than that. ;)

Last edited:
Aside from outdoors in the sunlight, and the occasional light source that does do shadows, I would say the lighting is definitely not impressive. Static, mysteriously consistent lighting that makes me think of 10 year old games. Rooms that should be pitch black but instead have mystery ambient light. Who woulda thunk this would still be the case in 2015.

The lasers don't seem to cause any illumination. Quake 2 did more than that. ;)
I'd agree definitely. The outdoors effects are well done and create a beautiful image. The indoors are just woeful with almost no shadowing, entire rooms and objects lit up by seemingly single ambient light source, it looks very dated.

ultmate bullshit lighting !
i love the fact i can tag readonly the ini file (to keep bVolumetricLightingEnable variable to 0), and run the game with 2560x1600 downsampling , and get 30fps LOCKED , for a 'nearly' stutter' free game flow... with a 7850 amd gpu .

So that option is forced on every time the game is run? Any comparison screens showing difference?

Once you turn on godrays, they can only be turned off by changing to low in the global settings in the launcher, or by changing that setting in the ini file. As I said in the Fallout thread, godrays make the color looked washed out IMO, turning them off has allowed me to use 4K VSR.

Back