Fallout 4 [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Just started playing (the base game), and I must say it's quite confusing.Am I correct that the points in the Specials don't do anything on their own, they only allow you to later spend points to get a higher level perk?
No, the SPECIAL stats do have actual impact even if you don't take any perks. Just a few, not exhaustive list, of examples for each:

More Strength means more carry capacity and more damage from melee weapons.
More Perception means you can detect things further off, locks are easier to pick (larger sweet spot), and terminals are easier to hack (less initial duds).
More Endurance means you have more base HP and are generally more resistant to everything bad.
More Charm means you are more likely going to pass speech checks during conversations and you can push your luck further without antagonising people.
More Intelligence mens you'll gain more experience for any action.
More Agility means you'll have more AP, AP regenerates faster, you can sneak better, evade more damage and your aim is better.
More Luck means you you'll have more lucky escapes, find more stuff and have more lucky encounters.

I'd recommend you watch each of the SPECIAL videos (page 2 of this thread on) which outlines how the base stat impacts gameplay.

Whaaaaat? I got to level 7 last night and was having a ball skipping down the skill tree and just grabbing what I wanted. Now you tell me the base special points do actually matter?

I don't remember it saying that I got x% more anything when I put points into specials. My character is Str: 3 Per: 5 End: 2 Chr: 6 Int: 6 Agi: 6 Lck: 3

Did I already screw everything up?

Ugh. Thanks, I will go watch those vids now!

Last edited:
Okay, so those vids didn't help so much because they combine basic SPECIAL attributes with the abilities gained from PERKS and don't give any real numbers, but I did find what I was looking for by finding a Fallout Wiki.

For example, Strength defines the amount you can carry and the formula is something like 200+ STRx10 So for my character, I can carry 200+3(10)=230 so adding more points to strength over the 3 points I have in there now would let me carry more things.

So you're right Campbell's Chicken Soup Dude. Putting points into the base SPECIAL do actually impact what your character can do above and beyond unlocking the perks vertically. I did not know that.

I wish it would tell you when you got an extra skill point that you if you placed it Agility, it's going to increase your action points (even if it doesn't tell you the exact number). Rather than picking a perk from the agility tree.

Don't you think that's kind of important to know? Do you want to grab a perk or do you want to increase your agility from 6 to 7 because Action Points are 60+10xAG?

60+10x6=120. 60+10x7=130

That might be a lot more important to somebody who runs a lot or uses VATS a great deal than just grabbing some random Perk.

This being the first Fallout game I've played, I'm finding the skill system to be rather obtuse and unfriendly.

Thanks for your help, DSOUP

I wish it would tell you when you got an extra skill point that you if you placed it Agility, it's going to increase your action points (even if it doesn't tell you the exact number). Rather than picking a perk from the agility tree.
I thought it did on the screen where you assign your SPECIAL point distribution. As you move up and down the SPECIALs you get an animation and brief explanatory text!?!?! Did I imagine that?

Anyway, you're welcome. Your initial distribution looks OK (pretty close to my first playthrough), of course it depends on your preferred play style but you will be boosting your SPECIAL stats anyway. Bobbleheads will boost each by 1 plus the You're Special book in your kid's room let's you boost any of them plus you can use a perk point to boost any SPECIAL.

It does tell u in the perk chart but yes it's not clear at all. From the chart it seems perks are what u need to unlock with ur level points.
It took me a while too to realise that perks are just bonuses.

Also, I am very unhappy that Strength does not increase ur overall damage. It's unintuitive. I carry a lot of stuff, so need strength but it feels wasted to invest points in it as it does nothing else for me. I do not use melee weapons.

Also, Agility increases AP but also helps u sneak better. Again. I feel torn , I need AP as I play with VATS but sneaking isn't for me at all. If I an to increase damage then it comes from the perks for rifles/pistols/ARs etc which AR again divisive. As an RPG guy I want to increase my damage output but there is no straight way to do it at all !
What I like best is luck, it does what it says ! Rest stats are very confusing and mismatched.

It does tell u in the perk chart but yes it's not clear at all. From the chart it seems perks are what u need to unlock with ur level points.

Not the perk chart, the screen where assign how many points will go into your SPECIAL distribution.

You know, the screen you guys didn't pay any attention too! ;-)

I'm glad they modified Strength to no longer impact ballistic or energy weapon damage (other than bash) because that never made sense in old fallout games. The harder you pull the trigger the more damage the bullet does? Madness!

bah ! looks just like the main game ..... I really was hoping for a aesthetically "new" area....meh ! I might just sell off my copy now.

I tried to get into Far Harbour last night but got distracted on the way to the starting mission.

Well played, Fallout! :yep2: The introduction of the Rust Devils in Automatron really has introduced a new dynamic in NPC vs NPC events. The robo lovers always seem to be in a fight with raiders, Gunners, super mutants or ghouls. I think they ramped up the number of 'random' events in that first DLC. There is an almost guranteed random event when you fast travel to the Mass Pike Interchange. Last night there was a swam of stingwings fighting a radscorpion :runaway:

@RenegadeRocks - this DLC really looks nothing like Boston. :???: Were you watching the trailer on a tiny screen?

The performance of the dlc is really bumming me out (PS4). As soon as you enter a foggy area (not exactly an uncommon thing in Far Harbour. It's rather one of the dlc's big hooks. Unlike the swamp in The Witcher 3 for example), the framerate tanks. The main game runs reasonably well at this point. Heck, by Bethesda standards it ran reasonably well right from the get go. Sad to see the shoddy practice of releasing something in a state like that rear its ugly head once again. Heck, it's not like these are some never before seen amazeballs kind of effects here. It's a bit of fog, and it's not like the PS4 is bandwidth-staved. It's rather astonishing how this was considered to be release-worthy.

Last edited:
Yeah, the framerate tumbles for me in a few places as well. It seems worst during the day when the game is doing its GI thing. Nighttime exploration is better and Bethesda are supposedly working on it. How they managed to release it in that state though.. :???:

I'm loving the stories and quests of the DLC itself. This is definitely a step up on the main game.

Nope. No mods as of yet. Wondering how extensive mod support is gonna be on consoles anyway. I doubt there'll be support for any kind of graphical mod.

Nope. No mods as of yet. Wondering how extensive mod support is gonna be on consoles anyway. I doubt there'll be support for any kind of graphical mod.
Having played with Fallout 4's Creation Kit (CK) there are no obvious restrictions for consoles. My guess would be any restrictions coming from Microsoft and Sony. I've not really used the previous versions of CK though so it may be CK for FO4 has more limitations than previous games and the real distinction will be Creation Kit mods vs. non-CK mods.

I'm trying to hold off playing more Far Harbour until Bethesda patch the fog. Maybe replace it creepy clowns or something.

Well, I too think we will not have graphical mods, in the sense that enhance gfx, but post filters shouldn't be much of an issue. A black and white/wild West/ noire/toon mod should be doable without much performance issues. The mod menu that I saw from a video of the PC version had quite a lot of mods, actually. Don't remember clearly if they had visual mods or not, though.

Want to see #Fallout4Mods running on #Xbox One. We will be streaming on @Twitch tomorrow at 4pm ET
CjZ-7JTW0AA6EYv.jpg
https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/735915581086523393

Tommy McClain

The 2GB limit is laughable, head scratching and ultimately the limiting factor. Quest mods that use a lot of the stock assets would be fine as well as world placeable objects and items. You can forget about overhauls, mass asset replacers and anything that uses external libraries like ENB, or script extenders as well as any multi-mod setup that would require advanced plugin management for compatibility reasons.

I doubt there'll be support for any kind of graphical mod.

Considering the performance of the game on consoles, any graphics overhaul would probably bring the game to its knees. However, sad part is that if someone wanted to, they could do a massive asset and or plugin optimization like some of the PC projects for Oblivion/Skyrim but again, the 2GB limit would cripple or make a project like that difficult/impossible.

I heard there is a flora mod out there on the xbox right now which fills th eworld with extra vegetation. Wonder how it performs though.

I heard there is a flora mod out there on the xbox right now which fills th eworld with extra vegetation. Wonder how it performs though.
As I said above, having used FO4 CK, I can't see any obvious reasons why things like this can't work on console. The only limitation that I'm aware of is that there is a maximum of 2Gb usage for mods on Xbox - I believe that's a total for all mods, rather than 2Gb each. This would make texture packs trickier but only if you're looking to mod all the textures in the game.

Back