Fallout 4 [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

It looks like Skyrim+. It's not mindblowing, but what can we expect when they reuse the engine and just incrementally update it?

I think the scripting and world-building tools they have are more important to them than glossier graphics. I would still expect physics wonkiness to remain, especially considering the scene in the trailer with the shopping cart being pushed out of the way; it screams Havok.

I'll gladly take the graphics (really not that bad) if I get a game that works straight out of the gate. Besides, maybe Bethesda took a different approach to marketing after all the downgrade hubbub that's been happening recently and went with a conservative estimation of what they'll be able to deliver on release. Might even look better come release.

who am I kidding here

I'll gladly take the graphics (really not that bad) if I get a game that works straight out of the gate. Besides, maybe Bethesda took a different approach to marketing after all the downgrade hubbub that's been happening recently and went with a conservative estimation of what they'll be able to deliver on release. Might even look better come release.

who am I kidding here

Really ? The models of the dog and humans look really bad. Maybe it's indeed a tweaked Tech5 engine taken from Wolfenstein New Order, but then it still looks worse than that game. I would expect a polished trailer and then worse graphics in the real game, but maybe they are trying to do it the other way around this time.

Hopefully they can get the PS4 and XB1 1080p/60fps locked (i.e. Metro Redux). Other than that, it's a PC buy for me.

Really ? The models of the dog and humans look really bad. Maybe it's indeed a tweaked Tech5 engine taken from Wolfenstein New Order, but then it still looks worse than that game. I would expect a polished trailer and then worse graphics in the real game, but maybe they are trying to do it the other way around this time.

I have a feeling this was cross-gen at one point and time in development...

It looks like Skyrim+. It's not mindblowing, but what can we expect when they reuse the engine and just incrementally update it?
Agreed, I think the visuals are quite understated - although I wouldn't go as far as to say disappointing. The animation on the dog looks off though, almost like it's an automata.

I think the scripting and world-building tools they have are more important to them than glossier graphics. I would still expect physics wonkiness to remain, especially considering the scene in the trailer with the shopping cart being pushed out of the way; it screams Havok.
Also agreed. Although the visuals are important for helping the atmosphere, it's the game mechanics that are important. I liked both Fallout 3 and New Vegas (different teams, I know) and will lap up more of the same with better mechanics.

Post apocalyptic is a genre I genre I really enjoy so it doesn't take a lot to suck me in.

Yeah, I mean they did release Skyrim in 2011. Wonder if they rebooted at some point.

A few games have dropped old gen along the dev path - Dying Light was the last.

Hopefully they can get the PS4 and XB1 1080p/60fps locked (i.e. Metro Redux). Other than that, it's a PC buy for me.
Not sure why you need 60fps for a slow paced survival game like this, I'd say 30fps and crank up the shit out of the graphics before release, or at least get the dog some furs..

I'm big open world game fan and I've loved Fallout setting since the first game in 1997 but oh boy... those graphics scream Gamebryo to me like a howling supermutant. You know, before GTA 5, Witcher 3, Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity, Dying Light ect ect, i would have just said - It is what it is, graphics, character interactions or animation just can't be good in open world games like Bethesda makes. Now ante is so high, that Bethesda looks like struggling indie developer compared rest of the peers. Bethesda brands are in same league (games that sell 10+ million or close to it) but they can't, for some reason or the other, get graphics (in larger context, from art design to technical to animation) right.

I don't really understand it.

They need to renew the engine. If not, expect the orthopedic moves again.

They might be going for 60fps?
I hope so, I never played a Fallout game, save the first one -which I got at GoG.com- and I only tried it for about ten minutes.

Not sure why you need 60fps for a slow paced survival game like this, I'd say 30fps and crank up the shit out of the graphics before release, or at least get the dog some furs..
lol, still I hope they keep the game at 60 fps, not difficult with that engine and graphics.

I hope so, I never played a Fallout game, save the first one -which I got at GoG.com- and I only tried it for about ten minutes.
I played through the main quest of Fallout 1 for the first time a few months ago. Wanted to satisfy my curiosity about the game that gets so much praise on the intarwebz. Fallout didn't register on my radar back in the '90s. I also tried Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics since they came with the Fallout 1 purchase, but I wasn't really interested in more retro Fallout after finishing up the original. Fallout 2 is basically the same engine technology and I was sick of looking at it. :)

I also tried Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel on the original Xbox. Meh.

If you play Fallout NV after Fallout 1/2, you will definitely notice nods to the oldies. They even used some of the creepy Fallout 1 background music/audio.

I'm hoping for some fresh ideas/gameplay with Fallout 4.

Last edited:
Don't be so pessimistic guys! I have just watched the Gamersyde video.

This engine has potential! It just needs a few things to look great. They just have to borrow the fur tech from Far Cry 4, The dynamic lighting / shadows and vegetation tech from The Witcher 3, the lighting / textures tech from AC Unity, the advanced AA tech from FC4 or TW3, the animation tech from... any of those games...or any of the previous games (indies included) released this year...

No biggies.

Back