Fallout 4 [PS4, XO]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by DSoup, Jun 2, 2015.

1. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Bethesda's http://fallout.bethsoft.com is now showing an animated countdown.

[​IMG]

It's current due to clock out in 18 hours, 20 minutes and 32 seconds. :runaway:

FarticusMaximus and Cyan like this.
  2. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

I'm fearful that this will be crossgen game. I am also fearful that F4 will emulate dumbed down design of F3.

I expect minimal announcement tomorrow and full unveil at E3.

3. DSoup

DSoup meh

I would be astonished if Fallout 4 is cross-gen.

The Elder Scrolls Online isn't on previous gen, nor is Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - despite being a standalone expansion to The New Order which was on 360 and PS3. Doom 4 (as just 'Doom' now) has only been announced for PC, PS4 and XBO as well.

I believe Bethesda are well glad that the 512mb consoles are mostly history now.

4. insanepunkclown

Newcomer

I hope that it will be like New Vegas though I wish it was like Fallout 1 or 2 in design of the world, but that ain't happening sadly... :/

5. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Please no, not like New Vegas. Fallout 3 was infinitely better. i liked how you really felt alone in that game and advanced all the way from walking around among some small villages with people scraping by all the way to working together with the Brotherhood with their more advanced tech and everything in between.

New Vegas didn't feel like a post apocalyptic world at all.

Fallout 3 with modern graphics for me, please.

6. insanepunkclown

Newcomer

New Vegas was more like Fallout 1 and 2 while Fallout 3 had element of what you're describing, but it was watered down casual shit.

7. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

It will be interesting to see what changes there are compared to F3. They do observe the modding community. It could be quite an overhaul considering what they did with Skyrim.

8. DSoup

DSoup meh

Yup, the underlying tech and even UI design decisions, are worlds apart between Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Throw in a new generation of consoles as well. I really hope there are barrier to exploration, i.e. interiors and exteriors seamlessly blended like in the Witcher 3.

9. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Hopefully they will also renew their engine. No more loading times between interiors and the entire world of the game, no more so so lighting and ancient engines that just can't deliver if they aren't modded.

Weren't Skyrim and the other Bethesda games using an engine based on Quake 2? Excuse me if I am wrong.

I also wish they took note of the best mods in the community.

I am not into Fallout, for now at least, but from what I understood some people preferred Fallout 3 because of similar reasons, and there was another group -the hardcore RPG fans- of people that preferred New Vegas a lot more, because of the decision making and how the plot branched a lot more and it felt very RPGish.

10. FarticusMaximus

Newcomer

I loved both Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

F3 had more of a desolate irradiated wasteland feel to it, but in my opinion New Vegas had a stronger, more coherent storyline.

I'd be quite happy with a similar engine for Fallout 4. I liked pretty much all the game systems, especially VATS.

I would be extremely pissed off if the RPG elements were dumbed down or scope reduced to accommodate visual bling though.

11. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

I never played a Fallout game. Is it good? Why should I care?

12. FarticusMaximus

Newcomer

Gameplay-wise there are many similarities to Oblivion/Skyrim, probably due to sharing much of the game engine.

If you like first-person open-world single-player RPG's with stats, loot, and all that jazz then chances are you'll get a kick out of it.

The Fallout games have a strong identity and a fair bit of humour.

I'd say that games have been pretty well received by the public. 'Is it good' is a question that only you can answer though.

Your level of 'care' should be proportional to your interest in post-apocalyptic first-person open-world RPG's...

13. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Nice. Next question would be, could I start with number 4?

14. FarticusMaximus

Newcomer

That should be no problem. In the same vein as Bliv/Skyrim there will probably be reference to previous events in the Fallout games but the games are more about individual stories in that world rather than a Mass Effect style multi-game story arc.

London-boy likes this.
  15. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

My bet would also be a new engine. Must be part of the reason why it's taking them so long. If not, I wish them luck ...

16. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

FarticusMaximus likes this.
  17. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Some screens are out on the Neogaf thread. They released the website too early. Or it's down from all the traffic. But from what I understand should be up 8AM MT. Or 10am EDT/ 7AM PDT

18. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

19. Scott_Arm

Legend

20. loekf

Regular

There's something strange with the trailer. Environments look nice, but the characters (the dog, people) look a bit low(er)-res, low(er) polygon with not very smooth animation. Or is just Youtube compression ? There's also something weird with the shadows. There are mostly no shadows for light sources from above, For example, I only see reflection of the dog on a wall, not the floor.