Fallout 3

The TES games have the worst dialogue system ever created...
I’m guessing that atmosphere is the most important thing old time fans of the games want, but since I’ve never played them I can’t really commend.
But knowing Bethesda from the TES series, I think that humour, dark or otherwise, is not one of their stronger qualities.

..And I'll look forward to inexplicable loss of performance when standing in particular spots and/or looking in certain directions and randomly falling through the world and buggered quests and screwy NPC pathfinding and memory leaks and generally terrible performance and ALL the other stff we've come to expect from Bethesda.

..In about eight months to a year AFTER their projected due date because of various game/buug issues (a la Oblivion). Which still won't fi xnearly the amount of game/bug issues present (also a la Oblivion).

IMO they are the worst thing that could ever have happebned to the once-glorious Fallout series.

Peace.

Im sorry you feel that way. I sat in the demo with about 30 others who were all mesmerized by the game at this early point and I havent heard really any bad comments from the media associated with the title. Im sure there is going to be some bug issues initially upon release and a potential delay is always a possibility but I really cant see these things alone tarnishing the title beyond "not playing" it.

Like most things that receive a generational update I am sure fans of the old series are either going to love or hate the title. If anything though the developer interview really left me with the impression that the game is being developed by Fallout fans.

..And I'll look forward to inexplicable loss of performance when standing in particular spots and/or looking in certain directions and randomly falling through the world and buggered quests and screwy NPC pathfinding and memory leaks and generally terrible performance and ALL the other stff we've come to expect from Bethesda.

Meh. Other than poor framerates in some outdoor areas, and the occasional freeze-up during load screens, Oblivion ran just fine on the 360.

Hopefully the framerate will be a little more solid since they don't need to render nearly as much trees, grass and foliage, which is really what dragged down Oblivion.

Well, you'd hope those software engineers aren't just twiddling their thumbs with platform optimizations too. ;)

Meh. Other than poor framerates in some outdoor areas, and the occasional freeze-up during load screens, Oblivion ran just fine on the 360.
It also has a a habit of pausing to load all over the place, even mid battle. Between that and the law framerates the game runs notably worse than any other game I've seen on the 360. Granted it isn't nearly as bad as Morrowind the Xbox, so hopefully Fallout 3 will turn out better as well.

a snippet from the latest OXM with an article on Bethesda/F3...

sorry I'm reading and typing. ;)

That doesn't help, they are still going with the same ****ty system. The problem with Oblivion (and morrowind) was that there is no dialoge, its a Monologe. Your just choosing a topic and the other guy rambles on about it.

Which completely ruins Fallout, seing how the dialoge tree determined the result of whatever your talking about. You could piss people off, you could lure information out of them, if you had high speech skill\charisma\intelligence you could lure information, manage to trick people into doing stuff, etc etc.

The game was so well made, that if you made a particularly dumb character, the character would speak differently, (if you made him super dumb, he spoke like a troll).

This game, is probably going to have that worthless "persude minigame" and not be based on skill level etc.

A world that doesn't scale with you when you level up but instead a world where you start like a 'nobody' and work your way up the 'the mighty one'. Like the previous Fallout games or BG series. :smile:

A world that doesn't scale with you when you level up but instead a world where you start like a 'nobody' and work your way up the 'the mighty one'. Like the previous Fallout games or BG series. :smile:

I cannot see how they will capture the essence of fallout as a 3d FPS. It cannot be as gory as the prior fallouts (ah the gore was great). Since its an FPS, what stops me from aiming at someones head at lvl 1 and blow it off? How are they going to prevent this?

Are they going to gimp the damage i do when shooting a gun because im low level? That would be incredibly dumb, why would a gun have a weaker shot because im not an expert marksman? The damage it does is the same, thought my aim would be worse. Are they going to screw with my aim, but its an fps, if i point the gun at somebody's head and pull it off, i should hit.

I just dont see how this can translate at all into something thats supposed to be a sequel for one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Aspecially not when Besethdas (spelling??) own "rpg" Oblivion, is more like an semi-amusing hack-n-slash, rather than RPG.

I cannot see how they will capture the essence of fallout as a 3d FPS. It cannot be as gory as the prior fallouts (ah the gore was great). Since its an FPS, what stops me from aiming at someones head at lvl 1 and blow it off? How are they going to prevent this?

Read an article where the described this. You can go from realtime action to a KOTOR like command queuing system where the outcome is based on your stats. So if you max out headshot you'll be able to turn somebody's head into a fountain of gibs. That to me sounded like a fair compromise.

The most important thing to preserve from the old games is the dark and gritty humour which defines the atmosphere. It's not an impossible task, Bethesda just needs to completely abandon their usual style of story telling (or rather, lack of).

Cheers

I cannot see how they will capture the essence of fallout as a 3d FPS. Since its an FPS, what stops me from aiming at someones head at lvl 1 and blow it off? How are they going to prevent this?
i guess you missed my earlier post.

nufaust said:
-The game will use both first-person and third-person perspective.

-The Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System, or V.A.T.S. will be implemented. Various actions cost action points, and both the player and enemies can target specific body areas for attacks, inflicting specific injuries. While using V.A.T.S., real-time combat is paused creating a combat system that the Bethesda developers have described as a hybrid between turn-based and real-time combat.

It also has a a habit of pausing to load all over the place, even mid battle. Between that and the law framerates the game runs notably worse than any other game I've seen on the 360. Granted it isn't nearly as bad as Morrowind the Xbox, so hopefully Fallout 3 will turn out better as well.

I never had it happen much mid battle, but ya the loads were also annoying, though more of a design decision than a bug.

My point was, it wasn't nearly the disaster Rainbow Man described.

Hopefully the framerate will be a little more solid since they don't need to render nearly as much trees, grass and foliage, which is really what dragged down Oblivion.

Well, I have to say, that all the loading every few steps (at least it felt so) coupled with the occasional freeze during loading (a bit too many times for my taste anyway) made me stop playing Oblivion. I hope that they will be able to fix that for Fallout because it looks to be a VERY promising game...

Well, I have to say, that all the loading every few steps (at least it felt so) coupled with the occasional freeze during loading (a bit too many times for my taste anyway) made me stop playing Oblivion. I hope that they will be able to fix that for Fallout because it looks to be a VERY promising game...

Yeah, the freezes during loading was a pain in the neck until one learned to press the 'A' button during startup to clear the file-cache.

The patch released a few months back fixed all loading problems for me, and improved worst case frame rate quite a bit. Cleaning the DVD helped load-times too :)

Cheers

Yeah, the freezes during loading was a pain in the neck until one learned to press the 'A' button during startup to clear the file-cache.

The patch released a few months back fixed all loading problems for me, and improved worst case frame rate quite a bit. Cleaning the DVD helped load-times too :)

Cheers

I should probably start playing Oblivion again and finish it. I really enjoyed the game, except for the Oblivion gate parts, and the performance of the game just got really bad on my antiquated computer the further I played into it. Hopefully some patches might fix things for me.

Cheers

Ohh, I might give that a try. I did get the patch as soon as I started playing oblivion but didn't know about the press A trick...

I should probably start playing Oblivion again and finish it. I really enjoyed the game, except for the Oblivion gate parts, and the performance of the game just got really bad on my antiquated computer the further I played into it. Hopefully some patches might fix things for me.

You can always just cast invisible on yourself and blow through the gates, collecting the Sigil stones.

The stones are random too, so you can save just before you grab it, and if you don't get one you like, just reload and try again.

Back