Fallout 3: Oblivion with guns and perfect review scores

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Frank, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

This might be useful for those running F3 with large quantity of texture packs. Since this game engine seems limited it craps out quite fast on PC with tweaks and mods (graphical textures filling RAM). had some CTD in some spots due to this. But I'll rather bath in plasma waste than run F3 without decent texture detail.

So fix for me has been to enable large address aware by using the utility in the link, fast and easy to do it.

http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6510

Works perfectly fine and I even exchanged my 2048x2048 texture set for 4096x4096 set. My texture mod folder is now 2.4GB.

#441 Neb, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
  2. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

Okay im downloading a GNR radio 'extender' now. Are there some 'racy' adult like mods anyone can recommend? the name? the nexus mod search isn't all that good.

3. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

You mean like meshes for women or such?

You could try this in the searchbox at nexus,

"type3" or "type4" or "type5" without quotes and perhaps a space inbetween letters and number.

Also there is this good pinup a la 50's posters. Really nothing nude just classy. Well maybe some bare "grapfruits" or such. Nothing wrong with some acid cocktail. :lol:

4. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

It's even better now, go into the Top 100 and filter Adult mods on.

Not that I'd know much about it of course. [​IMG]

5. PhilB

Regular

I wonder if they're ever going to release another patch for the game?

I know there's still a ton of bugs that the community has resorted to trying to iron out but an official patch would be nice.

I probably won't play the game again without one.

6. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I doubt it. Oblivion is loaded with unfixed bugs too.

Thing is though that these games are so big that I imagine they could bug fix forever. Gotta move on at some point and they did release quite a few updates for FO3. Besides, their community is willing to do it for free anyway.

7. PhilB

Regular

Most the updates released were just to prepare the game for dlc. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they only ever released one bug fix patch and the changes weren't too significant (well besides 'partly' fixing the broken vats and perks months after they broke them).

True about open world games and bug fixing but I at least think they should've ironed out the essential ones.

8. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

Pretty soon after I proclaimed it to be the best game ever, I lost interest. After spending less hours on it than Morrowind, or Fallout: Tactics. And not even close to games like Deus Ex, NOLF, Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment. Or many other, even older ones (my most played game ever: Manic Miner on the ZX Spectrum, while listening to Sons and Fascination / Sister Feelings Call from Simple Minds).

I played some of the DLC's recently, but they didn't hold my interest for long.

9. Scott_Arm

Legend

I found it didn't have a great reward system. At a certain point you get tired of finding bags of potato chips, more 9mm bullets and killing raiders. They needed a system that made you feel constantly rewarded to keep you playing in the later stages of the game. Having a level cap of 20 seemed to be a bad choice because people hit it way before they completed the game.

10. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I agree. When hitting the level 20 cap it feels a bit less interesting to go into combat. However the suspence of exploring new locations does counter it for me. Always exited to find strange, hilarious etc stuff in random locations.

11. Richard

Veteran

By Random you mean copy-pasted locations right? I also lost interest though I was far more sceptical: the copy & pasted underground stations, butchered SPECIAL, sloppy physics, 1994 animations, less than stellar dialogue, grinding combat... bah. At least with Oblivion you could install a mod and get an instant nature screensaver.

12. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Well they had differences in some ocassions. However it never really bothered me as it didn't capture my attention. However the tapes, info, experiment stuff etc made me exited aswell as strange living things etc.

I found dialogs OK and from tiem to time entertaining. I also found Davros repbulic. Though not his game stash ;(

EDIT: Chalk it up to athmospheric sensation.

#452 Neb, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2009
  13. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

Sorry for the bump, but Nebula, are there any new texture mods worth dling? I'm going to start playing this again, since I've beaten ME1 for the millionth time.

14. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Several good ones. I think I lsited them and other mods in this thread somewhere, I'll dig it up. Also be aware that if yo ucram in lots of 4096x4096/2048x2048 texture mods the game might crash due to 2GB RAM use limit. However there is a simple program that patches the exe file to support 'largeawareadress' and thus be able to use 3GB RAM for 32Bit systems or 4GB for 64Bit systems.

Also this site below is the biggest mod site for Fallout 3. It hosts a huge amount of mods (probably all released).

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/

15. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

I saw your last post, but was wondering if there were new ones :)
    I'm also not sure which texture packs to gets.
    I have a 512MB 4850 and 2GB of ram- what are your suggestions?

16. Richard

Veteran

Speaking of FO3, I've re-picked it up with a new character this time. While I'm enjoying it a lot more now with all the unofficial patches it still doesn't grab me like Oblivion did where I could spend HOURS just walking through the woods and riding my horse through the beautiful landscapes doing absolutely no quests! (I still hate a lot of stuff about Oblivion mind you)

FO3's landscapes are sometimes unnerving and occasionally well designed but I can't shake the feeling that it's mostly just a jumbled mess of boulders with the occasional brown patch of grass and burnt tree. Apart from dawn/dusk the game is practically monochrome.

BTW, doesn't anyone else find strange that even though the game is supposed to take place 200 years after the bombs the buildings, people's knowledge, state of equipment like vending machines, etc. feel out of place? Take Springvale as an example. The burnt wooden houses make it seem like the bombs hit last week, the Gomez' mailbox still has their Vault-Tec acceptance letter so we know this isn't a new, post-bomb, settlement. With so many raiders in the world (including in the nearby elementary school) why are there so many valuable items left laying around? Why do the burnt wooden beams still stand after 200 years of neglect, weather and looting? Doesn't anyone need timber in the winter?

After two hundred years why aren't there any green trees? In Hiroshima there were green trees born right after the bomb and there still are. Even if FO's bombs were markedly deadlier, aren't 200 years enough to have _some_ green vegetation back?

Anyway, don't mind me. I love FO but this East Coast rendition doesn't ring true. Hopefully New Vegas will be closer to what I expected and be a little more... believable.

17. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Go for 1024x1024 mixed with 2048x2048 texture res versions of texture mods.

18. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

You are right Richard. And also how is it possible to eat the pre-war food without getting messed up. Sure is a strange world!

19. KimB

Legend

Find the Oasis :)