Fallout 3: Oblivion with guns and perfect review scores

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Frank, Oct 26, 2008.

1. user542745831

Veteran

2. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

They really have talented artist.

3. obonicus

Veteran

Bethesda? They got better on faces, true, but have they figured out human character models yet?

4. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I am mainly refering to how they setup the settings and design the artwork for the world. Only game to look so good without sun shadows (PC version atleast, screenshot thread -> godness). Actors looks far better than oblivion.

5. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

The DLC is up on the marketplace. I _was_ going to buy it but since my Live account is registered to the UK and MS doesn't provide any means to change it (even though I can change the Windows Live ID country it is linked to) I would have to order a point card from old Blighty.

Having to do that isn't even a financial problem because it'd actually be cheaper than buying a local card (22 euros versus 30 for a 2100 point card); but I'm stunned MS doesn't believe people can physically move to another country.

I'm betting all the warez kiddies are having tons of problems with the DLC too. :roll:

6. Davros

Legend

Im betting they're having no problems whatsoever

7. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

Operation Anchorage is up on all the torrent sites, took about a day.

8. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Just here to confirm it's a PITA to get it through GFWL. And to mention that you can buy points from the Zune site in 400 point increments. Use your GFWL email and password to sign in. The points are universal.
    https://live.zune.net/en-US/accounts/BuyPoints.aspx?Check=true

One day Microsoft will realize, what works on Xbox doesn't fly on PC.

9. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

You'd bet rightly, from the chatter there seems to be no protection.

10. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Thanks. Unfortunately Zune is only available in NA so this won't help me.

I'd be content if they realised regional restrictions are the spawn of lucifer.

On a brighter note, it seems the DLC expansion isn't all that good (Eurogamer gave it 5/10 for instance) so I might just save up and buy the inevitable 3-in-1 expansion.

11. joker454

Veteran

I'm reviving the slightly old Fallout 3 thread for a bit. Does anyone know of a solution to the crashing/freezing issues on the PC version? I completed the game just fine without issues, then I recently patched the game and added Operation Anchorage. Now within seconds the game will freeze every time as I walk around. I've googled around and tried some of the suggestions, like disabling fallout3.exe in the ffdshow audio and video configurations but that didn't work, and so far I'm not getting very far with Bethesda tech support. Anyways, if anyone has found a solution or workaround to this I'd be interested in hearing it!

12. PhilB

Regular

Here's some suggestions that I can think of - some of these might be a little obvious (sorry if you've already done most of this):

First off, what's your specs? Supposedly the latest Nvidia drivers (if you have an Nvidia card) fixed a lot of the crashing/freezing issues for some (I believe it's the 182.06s). I'd suggest if you haven't already, to update and do a clean install of the recent drivers. Also, I remember people saying setting the water multisampling option to low fixed freezing problems that a lot of people where having. Then there's those who've had problems with gfwl (updating to the latest version has helped some). And there's this that fixed the freezing for some (if it's indeed a problem with gfwl).

That's all I can think of at the moment, but just to let you know, you're not alone in having problems with the patch/dlc - looking around on the forums, it seems to be a wide spread problem for a lot of people.

13. RenegadeRocks

Legend

I just got Fallout 3 . not a fan of RPGs, but want to give it a try.
    My question: Does Fallout 3 benefit from DX10?
    I have Vista 64bit and XP64bit on my system and mostly use XP for work and boot in vista only when I want to play. But if the game doesn't benefit from DX10, then I would like to install it in XP.

Please guide !

14. KimB

Legend

No, no benefit from DX10.

15. RenegadeRocks

Legend

Thanx ! XP it is then :wink:

16. joker454

Veteran

It's a q6600, 4gb, ati 4850, vista64, on board realtek audio, single hdmi cable to a panasonic plasma running at 1280x720. I usually use my bluetooth keyboard and mouse to play pc games from the couch, but for this game i actually use a 360 controller. I tried a lot of the forum recommendations, like the ffdshow tweak, deleting save games, resetting default controls, eating a ham sandwich while playing, resetting video drivers, etc. None really worked, although the sandwich tasted good. The ones I haven't tried are the ones the required me scaling back the graphics, like no AA, etc, because I think I'd rather wait until they fixed it rather than detract from the visuals. I hadn't heard about the gfwl fix, but then again I really like that I get 360 achievements from a pc game and that I can see 360 friends online and what they are doing, so I don't want to disable that either.

Anyways thanks for the help, it does indeed seem like a widespread issue from what I see. I'll probably just wait for a patch. Maybe that's a good thing I guess, I was probably playing this game a bit too much anyways :)

17. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

Are you using D3DOverrider.exe? If so then disable LoadLibrary Hooking.

18. joker454

Veteran

Nopers, not using that.

19. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Some things to check.

Disable Vista Sidebar feature.

Disable force tripple buffering in NVCP.

Check in the Fallout.ini/FalloutPrefs.ini settings.

bMultiThreadAudio=0
    bUseThreadedAI=0
    uGridsToLoad=5
    uInterior Cell Buffer=3
    uExterior Cell Buffer=36

20. RenegadeRocks

Legend

Why doesn't the game let me choose 1360X768 as my resolution?
    I have a 32" bravia as my monitor and I alsways play PC games at that res as it suits my monitor-TV.
    I am being forced to play 1024X768 (i think) which is so annoying!

Also, I am going to need a lot of help for this game. I a shooter liking person, and RPGs have never been my forte, but Fallout 3 intrigues me. All the skills and perks just confuse me and I am always out of Health and Ammo :( !