Fallout 3: Oblivion with guns and perfect review scores

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Frank, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Jesus Christ! Bethseda fucks us over again!

Am I wrong to consider that sort of shit a real game-breaker? Why bother with blood when you shoot someone if they take 32 headshots to actually feel it and keel over? Why bother with individual hitzones at all?

Yet another game that makes combat a tiresome chore that is merely there to make the game appear longer than it is.

2. L233

Veteran

3. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yes but I don't find RPGs without leveling up much fun. I hit level 50 on my first (and only) playthrough of Mass Effect well before I even started the final mission and it was a total bummer.

I don't like to complain about games before I've played them so I'll stop here :smile:.

4. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Well that's what happens when you use a BB gun!

5. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Ah so that's the reason why we need nuke catapults ... all the normal weapons in the game are BB.

This game needs mods. With reasonable weapons (such as that rifle) unarmored humans would be instagibbed in FO1/2 at close range.

6. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Actually, I hadn't given Fallout 3 any of my time until this thread; looking around the web it sounds like it could've been great. But geez, after seeing these two movies, I really don't want it now.

7. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

those vids oooooze Oblivion animation/reaction. Icky. Reminds me of sticking 30 arrows into enemies' heads.

Why bother moving away from the way Morrowind played just to go to something which teases with "realism" but is equally as fake in the end.

8. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

Anybody got this game?

If so, please tell me if the dialoge system is like in oblivion or like in originial fallout games.

9. L233

Veteran

Well, judging from the videos, dialogues are a lot better than in Oblivion, where they really didn't do anything. In Oblivion, dialogue options were just cues for NPCs to spout a bunch of badly written and badly voice acted lines. In FO3, it looks like more of an actual conversation tree with maybe slightly better written und voice acted lines.

Having read a few reviews I noticed that many of them talk about FO3 fixing or improving on many of Oblivion's problems. That's quite interesting, considering that most of these review sites sure as hell didn't bother to inform us about Oblivion's shortcomings when it was released. It used to be almost 100% unequivocal praise and 9+/10 ratings...

I wonder when the first realistic reviews of FO3 will start popping up. I simply don't trust the Bethesda cocksucking circus that is going on every time that company releases one of their soulless pseudo-RPGs.

10. obonicus

Veteran

Probably never, other than from tiny blogs. It's not like there's been any comeuppance to any of the other extremely-overrated games released this year.

11. swaaye

Legend

I think what you see is that people who review games are just not very, ummmm, logical / empirical. I think they throw hype into the score they give. There is also probably a bit of vested interest in making their industry/genre look good. Justification of their chosen profession, or some such. I'm not entirely willing to buy into the belief that they are paid off, but I am willing to believe that they are not entirely thorough or care about the past. ;)

Actually, I think that some reader reviews are worthwhile. You run into people who are obviously fans of the genre and have lots of experience with games within it. Once you filter out the reviews written by people who have no grasp of paragraphs or sentence structure, you can usually find stuff written with a less ridiculous agenda (maybe more inline with your own!) I almost always ignore the "pro" reviews out there.

12. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

Agreed

13. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Gaming journalism is basically too dependent upon the goodwill of the pub/dev and usually end up acting as proxies for their PR/marketing.

14. L233

Veteran

Yeah, with thousands of websites competing for early information, review copies and invitations to press events and such.... the "professional" gaming media is great for providing news and previews and shit but they cannot be trusted to publish unbiased and fair reviews - they simply cannot afford to.

15. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

There's definitely that, but some games are simply not suited to rushing through the game in a short time as reviewers often do. Reviewers either miss out on the good stuff of a large game, or don't see the problems and issues that come with extended play of a big and complex game, creating an incomplete review that doesn't address what it pretends to.

For instance, Rockstar used it to their advantage with GTA 4, by not giving the reviewers enough time to see behind the thin veneer of the immediate game to the empty core. The result was rave reviews based on the first few hours of play, which later turned out to be overhyping in the extreme.

Websites just can't be trusted, with their vested interest, publisher pressure and manipulated reviews to be anything other than an extension of the publisher's marketing department.

16. swaaye

Legend

Yeah that is a good point.

The last professional level game review source I really trusted was probably the CGW mag. They were tough on games and most of the writers definitely knew their stuff. They had a lot of power, I think, because they were one of the few top notch popular sources for game info. Maybe not so much after ~2002 though. Things changed. The industry itself has obviously changed a lot from the '90s to now.

#36 swaaye, Oct 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2008
  17. Crusher

Crusher Aptitudinal Constituent
    Regular

I'm not too far in yet, but I haven't seen anything like that video occur. I beat up plenty of people with just a few swings of a baseball bat so far, and with a 10mm pistol it usually only takes 1-3 headshots to kill a person. Watching my BBs fly towards mole rats from a sniping post was also great fun :)

18. swaaye

Legend

Does it have a difficulty slider like Oblivion? If the people who made those vids jacked that way up, it would make the baddies much harder than is typical.

19. Crusher

Crusher Aptitudinal Constituent
    Regular

There are 4 difficulty settings: Easy, Normal, Hard, and Very Hard. I'm playing on Normal. Even if the video was taken on Very Hard difficulty, it's pretty easy to avoid by simply not selecting that.

20. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

to be homnest they looked like a merchant and a guard, not necesarily a baddie, so they could have been super tough as they are meant to die!

EG reviewer has made the point that the game gets better after 40+ hours, more reveals, shocks etc and don't try and level quickly to get the best out of it.