Fallout 3: Oblivion with guns and perfect review scores

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Frank, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

Ok I've sunk like 55 hours into the game now and explored ~90 locations and still only 9 bobble heads. these things are very hard to find.

2. KimB

Legend

Heh, there's no way in hell I'm even going to try to get all of those without looking up a walkthrough.

3. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

Bethesda went through great pains to make sure nobody could blame them for nude or (especially) child killing mods, as it seems that included content that gets unlocked by a mod might be reason for reclassification to Mature.

And I got the same vibes about a construction set, with M$ being the main problem. Edit: Not because of reclassification, but simply because of lost X360 sales versus PC sales.

But even without an official CS, we already have all the tools needed, except a script compiler. And I'll write one if needed, but I expect one to surface soon in any case.

The only things the construction set would do better than the homemade tools we have now (including the growing XML with property descriptions) and a script compiler, are a render window with drag-drop placing and property sheets for each class that make things more friendly.

So, the experienced modders don't really need an official CS, but it would allow inexperienced ones to make mods as well.

#343 Frank, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  4. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

And thats why I love the mod community.

5. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

my main monkey, in this economy...fearing layoff...etc. I think (gothic 2) is the economic decisions you have to make. im a fiscal conservative (really), and i seem to do quite well....over time.

6. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Has your account been hijacked?

7. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Yeah, that was a weird post.

8. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Probably belongs to a different thread. That's happened to me a few times before.

9. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

10. kyleb

Veteran

I doubt it, over the years I've noticed I've seen him make at least a few of such incoherent posts.

11. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Thanks Frank. great to see the fan created modding tools are shaping up to be real good. :Bow: for Timeslip's dedication to making a FO3 editor.

12. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Got far enough into the campaign last night to get my PBA training and got a plasma rifle off an Enclave soldier. Actually picked up enough sets of PBA Enclave suits to use my 100 repair skill to max one suit's condition out, so my DR rating went through the roof compared to my old armor. Just need more plasma rifles so I can repair the one I've got, which is at roughly 50% condition. Fun, fun.

Edit: And after this post, I finally finished the Replicated Man quest and got an even better plasma rifle. Woot!

#352 John Reynolds, Nov 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2008
  13. Hollywood

Newcomer

Nebula,

Thanks for submitting your fBlockLoadDistance and similar LOD parameters. I had found the , and was working with it, though I could not decide on what settingst to finalize with.

The main reason being, and it only occured to me recently, after much head scratching, is that those variables control objects and suchat at really long distances.

Thus I'm still on the hunt to increasing LOD texture and object count for more medium range distance, so that when I'm in motion coming over a small hill, the valley before me doesn't suddenly pop up on screen and so forth.

This can be quick fixed by using a larger grid size, but like with Oblivion, I'm not in favor of that.

I imagine someone is already working on a medium range LOD texture pack, but even then, that doesn't solve the object/housing/rock formation issue.

14. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Hello!

I settled for these settings below which I find to be perfectly stable with Ugrids 5 and some rather extreme LOD distances for mapping and detail. Makes buildings and trees appear almost across the gameworld. Higher settings might introduce crashes as the engine cant cope with the load!

And I agree Ugrids might not be a good cure for close up LOD transitions. From my test it seems it is prone to crash with the above *.ini settings (needs to be lowered quite a bit) and it introduces some errors making saved games crash if saved outside.

For this a mod is needed much like the one for Oblivion where a low detail building/object is used on the landscape outside the Ugrid cells. Though most buildings are included already there are some taht are not there. Also the smoothness/speed/'fade-blending time' of the low->high detail meshes/textures could be tweaked in the [BackgroundLoad] section. I haven't tested this yet.

For mapping/lighting/shadow/LOD draw distance/detail I have these below. i put the same settings in both fallout.ini and falloutprefs.ini since the game seems to read from both (or so is my impression). Of course some of the settigns below might not have a function in Fallout but are left overs from Oblivion.

15. Hollywood

Newcomer

Hi Nebula,

Thanks for sharing, unfortunatley it seems to make no difference.

I know that adjusting the .ini does have results, as the first set of parameters you gave, do increase the rendering a very long ways away, and other misc things like FOV and PipBoy FOV are changed; just not the LOD.

I've attached a screenshot here http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2645/fallout3200811241757226tz6.jpg, that shows me running down a road. Just over the slight downgrade, you can see the blurred, bland and undetailed landscape, which really isn't that far away.

With or without the settings you gave, the results are the same.

When viewing the ini files, there seems to be quite a few distance related variables that aren't mentioned here.

Do you have any screenshots depicting your results?

#355 Hollywood, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2008
  16. Hollywood

Newcomer

Eep! Something up with the forums, can't seem to post.

Third try!

Anyways, the settings do not work for me at the medium range. I know adjustments to the .ini files are being read, as FOV and similar parameters are changed; but not the medium, which is a shame, as that's all I am after really.

No Edit options ?

I hate to double post!

In this picture you can see what I mean, as the land up ahead is obviously lacking in object content. A few feet forward and it'll pop into view:

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/517/fallout3200811241757226yt8.jpg

Mod Note: Your first couple posts will be moderated hence your first posts not showing up at all. You'll gain editing privileges as time goes on and you post more often. -AlS

17. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

So, because of the toolkit announcement I went to a store and bought the game. Yay. Found it for 45 euros too. Just got home and installed it, first had to manually accept to add a firewall exception then I had to disable automatic Live login to be able to insert the cd key but I guess that's yet another thing MS needs to correct with G4WLive. :roll: But after that I login, it tells me there's a patch for the game (the small one to correct the crashes) so I accept to patch, the game drops to the desktop, downloads the patch and starts it up. So far, so good. Game restarts, G4WLive logs in correctly and because I can't play right now I quit from the main menu. Game drops to the desktop and promptly crashes.

I wonder if the crash was because of the patch to fix the crashes. :razz: Anyway, I'll probably only be able to sit down and play it this Sunday but I'll try and sneak in half an hour tomorrow. :smile:

18. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

enjoy it, probably one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long long time. This and mgs4 have blown everything else out of the water for '08 imo.

19. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Finished the game. Very abrupt, unsatisfying ending, but I loved the final piece set with the Brotherhood's assault against the Enclave.

20. KimB

Legend

I agree. That final assault was very cool. But the very ending? Complete, unadulterated shit.