Fallout 3: Oblivion with guns and perfect review scores

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Frank, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

While I really dug Morrowind (it being a first in sandbox with realistic graphics) and I was disappointed with Oblivion, I still look forward to playing Fallout 3.

I'm a big Fallout fan (but not of the NMA kind ;) ), and while I think I'm going to be really impressed with it at first, I also think I'm going to be rather disappointed after the first exhilaration wears off.

Game reviews have become rather political and a big focus of the marketing department, as the initial hype, perfect scores and rush to buy the game are what makes almost all of the money.

Thinking about how Oblivion and BioShock went, everyone praised those into heaven in the first few weeks, at the time when the bulk of sales happened. And only after that time popular opinion started to swing from "the best EVAH!!!" to: "Well, it could have been great, if not for all the bugs, inconsistencies, streamlined gameplay and interface."

So, it's all about front-loading, make it easy to get into, overwhelm with stunning visuals and a sheer endlessly looking list of possibilities. Lasting appeal doesn't make money, unless it's a MMOG. It only has to last for a few weeks at most.

Games have become like interactive movies: run through them in a few hours (follow the arrow while pressing the fire-button when you see movement, and potentially switching your currently equipped stuff with better drops).

While I'm pretty sure I'll like Fallout 3, when mods make it into a game I can dig, reviews, trailers, demo's and reviews are becoming more and more like movie trailers: if you've seen those, you've seen all the good bits. And when the euphoric feeling that you were able to finally play this marvelous game dims, it turns out just to be yet another streamlined console port with lots of issues.

Like all the discussions of the tv series, like Battlestar Galactica and Heroes.

And while they still have to deliver to get more money, (PC) game sales profits die within weeks.

In short: new AA games are geared to be a streamlined successor of one of the persistent genres, with better visuals and lots of potential to awe for about 8 hours.

Which nets you about as much value for money as going to five movies. Which, I think, is a sure way to proclaim that the games industry has grown up and become mainstream entertainment for the masses.

2. MfA

MfA
    Legend

I'm not touching a Bethesda game without mod tools with a 10 foot pole.

3. Frank

Veteran

Agreed.

4. Bajzel

Newcomer

Yep, if they release an editor that is.

5. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I'm sure it will have the usual issues that games from that company have, especially seeing as it is basically looking to be the same kind of game as Oblivion and Morrowind. That there will initially be no construction set is very not-good indeed....It's strange that they are not shipping it with the game immediately as usual.

6. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

I'm also down-grading this from must-buy to wait-until-editor-comes-out status:

Next Buy Bias Meter
    Far Cry 2 [-X------------] Fallout 3

Anyway, I expect much of the same problems Oblivion had with floating props, characters, stupid A.I., bland main storyline quests but interesting side quests, etc. I read they finally fixed the leveling though.

7. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

The only thing that really excites me about Fallout 3 is the Lunchbox that comes with the collectors editions of the game.

8. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

You're looking forward to the inevitable ass-kicking you'll receive when seen in public with it? :razz:

I'm getting cheap in my old age, so doubt I shell out $50 for the game. $35 sounds about right.

9. L233

Veteran

Maybe they'll bundle it with video cards like they did Morrowind? At one point, I owned four copies of that game...

10. Frank

Veteran

After some consideration and research, I think you'll find that FC2 will suffer from the same problems. Like most AA games nowadays. ;)

That's why the Eastern Europe games are so refreshing: sure, they generally have even more bugs on release, but at least they try to recapture the things we really liked about those old classics. And they tend to stick to the plan, instead of trying to be something for everyone and their mother.

11. Miksu

Regular

12. L233

Veteran

*yawn* Who would have thought? I am surprised though that the hacks didn't find a way to give it MORE than 10/10. It will take the hacks probably another twelve months until they begin to admit that there are severe flaws and stuff.

Until then, we'll have the Bethesda fantards trying to convince everyone that FO3 is the best RPG ever made (despite the fact that they've never even played a RPG).

#12 L233, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
  13. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I give Fallout 3 11/10! :D

(No, I haven't played it.)

14. Operation Mindcrime

Newcomer

15. L233

Veteran

16. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

http://pc.ign.com/articles/924/924346p4.html

No way! I'm a completionist and I rarely play games twice. The first play-through level cap killed Mass Effect for me :sad:. Hopefully this won't be hard to mod.

17. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

LOL, and yet *sigh*, at the requisite 32 shots to the face in order to kill a baddy.

:(

18. Scott_Arm

Legend

But there's nothing preventing you from finishing everything, even if you hit the cap earlier.

19. Scott_Arm

Legend

That video does not inspire confidence ...

20. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

:| Lemme guess, the bullets of the future are made of rubber?