Fall software lineup seems weak

Is it just me, or is the fall lineup on all three consoles a little weak this year. There doesn't seem to be much that is capable of moving any serious hardware. Price drops are pretty much inevitable I think.

Sure Sony has Jak 2 and Socom 2, and MS has Counterstrike and Project Gotham 2, but these aren't really hardware movers at this point IMO. Nintendo doesn't really have anything that Nintendo fans haven't already picked up a Cube to play. I mean, if you're a Pokemon nut you probably already got your Cube for Zelda.

What does everyone else think?

Well I'm not fully versed on the PS2 lineup, but I think the xbox has a great lineup. The sports titles with XSN will kick some heavy butt :)

Fall looks very good for the consoles I have. GameCube's getting a handful of must-buys (IMO of course) and Xbox has Ninja Gaiden 4 to name one must-buy. PC is toting Half-Life 2, of course.. I've got that pre-ordered already..

Psychonauts, is that coming this fall? That might be one to invest in.

Psychonauts is delayed to 2004, I think.

How could I forget SSX3! My favorite sports game series of all time, and now it's even online.

Qroach said:
The sports titles with XSN will kick some heavy butt :)

And all ultimatly outsold by Madden2004. I'm sorry, it had to be said. My thinking is that Counter-Strike could be a mover, as opposed to XSN.

Nobody is going to take top spot from madden, and I wasn't actually talking about football. I was talking about Amped, Top spin, NHL rivals, and link 2004. Those are the games that I want because of the multiplayer potential and XSN leages and championships.

EA is going to do well, like every year, but the multiplayer side isn't going to be nearly as robust as what xbox live and xsn will provide the sports area IMO...

You know, this fall lineup does seem kind of morbid from an industry standpoint. There seem to be no big blockbuster titles coming out this season. Ninja Gaiden will be an obvious success for the Xbox and that's really the only thing I can think of right now that has the potential. There is no GTA this year and to be honest that might be why some of this is brought up. The fall lineup will sell fine for the most part. Sales of this year may be a little down from last year, but I know this for sure, next year will pick up and fast.

but the multiplayer side isn't going to be nearly as robust as what xbox live and xsn will provide the sports area IMO...
Well, they've copied Live features almost point for point, and even most of the XSN features (tournaments, list and whatnot) are also available through their site.

Still some decent games to look forward too (outside Half-Life 2 of course).

(GameCube)Mario Kart:Double Dash, Pikmin2, Viewtiful Joe, MGS:Twin Snakes, SWRS3:Rebel Strike, Billy Hactcher. In addition to getting F-Zero GX and Soul Calibur2 this month. (Xbox) Ninja Gaiden and PGR2. Still have to pick up KOTOR. (PS2) GT4 and MGS3:Snake Eater.

My most wanted is Mario Kart:DD, the multiplayer potential (mixed with alcohol); simply unbeatable. Its a highly recommend experience (JVD can attest to it :D)

I think GT4 and MGS3 will move some PS2, unless the world is tired of those two franchises. Mario Kart has the same burden for GC. Hopefully, Ninja Gaiden will push some Xbox too, it seems like Live! is their focus this season though. If Halo2 were released this winter, it would have had a nice window to take the spotlight.

*edit* did Gran Turismo 4 get delayed to January 2004 (US release date)? Whats with all these heavy titles slipping to the first half of '04. Did christmas get delayed?

Titles I am looking forward to this Christmas season: (N.B. I am a UK PS2 owner.)

Ghost Hunter - SCEE - Cambridge Studio
A Dogs Life - SCEE - Frontier Developments
Champions of Norrath: Realms of EverQuest - SCEA – Snowblind
Jak II - SCEA - Naughty Dog
GT4 - SCEJ - Polyphony (not out this year?)
Siren - SCEJ - Deep Space Nine
ZOE2 - Konami (a lot of changes are being made for European release)
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence - Konami
MGS3 - Konami (not out this year?)
Beyond Good & Evil UBI - UBI Paris
Prince of Persia - UBI - UBI Toronto
SSX3 - EABig
Return of the King - EA
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun - EA
Legacy of Kain: Defiance - Edios
Secret Weapons Over Normandy - Lucasarts
Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon - THQ – Revolutions

Titles I will definitely buy:

Everquest – Already have Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance
GT4 – Already have GT1, GT2, GT3, GT Concept. Big Fan of this series
Jak II – Already have Jak & Daxter
MGS3 – Already have MGS, MGS2 and MGS Substance. Big fan of this series
Return of the King – Already have Two Towers. Big fan of Tolkien and the Peter Jackson movies
Medal of Honor – Already have MOH Frontline. Big fan of WWII movies
SSX3 – Already have SSX. Big fan of this game.

Titles where I have high expectations based on the developers previous accomplishments
Secret Weapons over Normanday – From the guy that gave us X-Wing & Tie-Fighter on the PC
Broken Sword – Continuation of a much loved series.
Beyond Good & Evil – From the creator of Rayman
Prince of Persia – 3D sequel to classic platform game.

I'm really looking forward to the titles availabe this Christmas.

I will have to say that I am really hyped about this year's christmas, as a PS2 owner. Nick mentioned just about those few games that are right up on my most wanted list:

Everquest - of course, also because of being a owner of Baulder's Gate and loved every minute of it.
Jak II - this is my most anticipated game. I simply can't wait! Damnit!! :D
ZOE2 - still waiting for this one... Nick, what changes are being applied to the PAL release?

SSX3 is also a game that I might get. Got the first, but never bought Tricky. I'll see how it turns out...
Of course MGS3 and GT4 are among my most wanted next to Jak II, but they're not quite released this year I think.

Oh and the other most-hyped up game for me would have to be Final Fantasy X-2 - when's it coming out in Europe?? I'm guessing not until next year though. :(

Phil said:
Everquest - of course, also because of being a owner of Baulder's Gate and loved every minute of it...
What has Everquest and BG:DA has in common, except Snowblind studios :?
EQ will be a MMORPG in first person, and quite different from BG:DA.
Or have I missed something?

marconelly! said:
What has Everquest and BG:DA has in common, except Snowblind studios
EQ will be a MMORPG in first person, and quite different from BG:DA.
Or have I missed something?
Yep you did :) Champions of Norrath is basically a much improved online version of BG:DA. It really has nothing to do with the MMORPG Everquest except for the name and the characters.

http://championsofnorrath.station.sony.com/
Thanks! I can't believe I've missed it completely!
This went straight to my top 5 list of most waited games.

My most wanted is Mario Kart:DD, the multiplayer potential (mixed with alcohol); simply unbeatable. Its a highly recommend experience (JVD can attest to it )

Yes this weekend i won 800$ in our yearly mario kart gathering. We had 50 friends all pilled into the local vfw . I came in second place. My little sister beat me some how and took the 1000$ prize .

I really think that alot of the big devs are starting work on the next gen games . As for the pc . Its more of an adult platform and i don't really see a huge spike in sales at quater 4 . So whenever pc tittles come out they sell well .

But man i can't stop playing this viewfull joe demo. This game is a must have for me .

Back