'Failing at your Entertainment'

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by passby, May 21, 2005.

1. passby

Newcomer

Link
    Additional comments from http://grumpygamer.com/

2. doob

Regular

I agree 100%

I came to think of the same conclusion weeks ago... games are becoming so "complex" that the huge majority of developers forget or just disregard/forget the basic roots of what a game has to deliver! fun, challenging & i have to add realism(adquated to the type of game if its cartoony or photorealistic)

while thinking about the path the gaming industry has taken, i tried to remmember the last funny game i've played .... :? and dam... i had a hard time trying to remmember one (yup 1 game:!: ) ... after almost an hour..... nothing... :cry: .... heck i was really feeling frustated with myself thinking about how innocently i letted myself go with the action & boredom of todays games and noticed my gaming habbits were just, play fps & mmrpgs (stress & Boring games).

Later on i had some flashes of one game (2D platform a bit old, i think its around 1998) that had a kid that somehow went to some fantasy land thats being controled by evil (CG intro, btw the Evil Master had a really stupid servent wich was like a tiny pink elephant lol that was always with a "yucky" cold stumbling around) and had some funny shadow creatures that followed you with a sneaky walk on you back while u walked. The player had some kind of lightning gun that could use i cant remmeber the games name (with huge sadness :cry:)
    If any1 can remmember it, let us know.

The last funny game i could remmember playing it is http://www.stupidinvaders.com/ :lol: :lol: :lol: The instant i remmeber it i couldn´t help containing myself laughting like an idiot ending up sad since i couldn't re-play it cuz i dunno what i've done with the cds.
    .oO(i wonder if i can get it somewhere :( )

Anyway its games like these that i miss alot :!:
    I just wish that developpers could start adding more fun/hilarious content to their games (like the MGS4 movie presented at E3 joking around with snake etc lol) even in fps (like duke nukems and serious sams taunts ... ok unreal tournament series in some way...but do something beyond that) add somekind of easter bunny model/skin uhmm a clown... jajajaajaja imagine (this would be a flame thrower) having a little FAT piggy on one hand with its twirly tail lol and u would point the piggys but (facing foward and the face looking @us) so... to make a kill you would have to squeeze the little pig with one hand to make him fart (somewhat liek the squeeze from the ant lions in HL2), and light a lighter with the other hand near his ass so it would .... oink oink :twisted: light up the methane farted by the ping into anhuge flame lmao xD :lol: ok .... my mind tends to have some twisted ideas sometimes but this1 i couldnt avoid it, it made me laugh picturing it in my mind running on a map during multiplayer squeezing a little pig to burn the enemy...

Another idea, imagine having a skinny model firing a huge cannon/rocket type launcher (somewhat like tim sweenie or whatever his name is, the leadprogrammer of UE3 (no bad intentions, hes a great talented guy) and being drawed back in the opposite direction of the fire with a huge speed(making him loose health) lol now that was funny to see in a online match xD, each caracter with visible funny advantages/disavantages

3. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Easy and entertaining is one thing, but "winning"? Does the guy forget just how often one died in Frogger and Super Mario Bros? :p Heck, old games tended to be HARDER and frequently more tedious because for a long time they lacked any form of save function, so you had to continually replay the portions you could easily do to get to the more challenging sections again. And since "limited continues" was also the standard for a while if there was any continuing at all...

What the guy seems to really be wishing for is "simple gameplay" and perhaps "fast gameplay," which also frequently carries along with it "deaths that don't matter." But offhand, I think a big complaint about modern games is they ARE too easy. (Easy from a living and completion standpoint.) There are very few games that come out now that ever drive me as nuts as, say, the first Castlevania. And games like Mega Man and SMB were about continual dying until you figured out just how to play, where to go, etc... How many games these days have any sort of "one-hit-kill" system or "bottomless pits" that kill you instantly?

Now the process of gameplay is much harder. More dimensions, more controls, more length and breadth to most games, and more "stuff" that developers try to put in to experiment. And that does indeed seem to be his major complaint (which is why some simple and entertaining games like Katamari Damacy are so refreshing), but I found his initial comments weird considering I've no doubt come nowhere near the amount of "dying" and "losing" this past decade than I did during my first decade of gaming. ;)

Overall, though, it's simply a matter of good game design. Many simple games were utterly tedious and insipid, and many complex games hit a great balance that keeps the game fresh and entertaining by letting you play with more in more environments. We get more games coming from the "long and more complex" end of the spectrum now, of course, since games in general have trended that way. (Similar to 2D-to3D. That, in fact, added a whole lot of complexity that games are STILL nowhere near close to filling out. ;) )

But ultimately, what one really wants are "good games." Long, short, complex, or simple... getting it just right is damn hard. Now after you've filled your collection with enough Good Games(TM), you'll have the right ones to flip between depending on your mood, how long you can play for, etc. ^_^

4. doob

Regular

5. Diplo

Veteran

Try Psychonauts...

6. accidentalsuccess

Newcomer

I, for one, feel that games have to be FAAAAAR more inventive. Spore, psychonauts, etc look great.

Hardcore gamers are alienated by how EASY games are now b/c designers tend to reuse the same game mechanics/puzzles, etc. For example HL2 was great but I didn't get "stuck" once in the game 'cause any of the "find-your-way" puzzles could be answered by easily looking for the tube up over, turn on the water, etc etc etc problems. I don't know how this kind of thing will be addressed. Especially since apparently the general public wants a dumbing-down of games? gah.

I hope people can successfully (read: $$$) develop games that challenge the mind AND are fun. . . . . .

7. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

I'd think that's what difficulty settings are for...

If he's talking about more games like the Sims, somebody hand me a weapon, please.

8. Ichneumon

Regular

I bet you're talking about Heart of Darkness. A game that I really enjoyed. It was inspired by an earlier game, for which I won't remember the name I'm sure, that had a similar story line and gameplay. I actually pulled out that CD a few months ago and played some of it again. I just wish I could raise the resolution now.

P.S. Someone please fix the broken link in the thread thats arsing up the page formatting.

9. Reverend

Banned

What's frustrating for one can be intriguing to another.

BTW, I think all id Software games fall into the "I wanna go home and just easily blast away monsters without having to figure out a lot of stuff".

10. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Yeah, but CroTeam does that better. ;)

11. _xxx_

Banned

Unfortunately, not good enough anymore. If they made an optically upgraded Doom2, that would have been THE thing for the old fans like me. I do like D3, I just think it should have been branded differently, since it resembles _nothing_ Doom/Doom2 was.

I'm the kind of guy who likes to blow stuff up without much thinking and especially WITHOUT F###ING JUMP'N'RUN BULL in a fps, being raised on Wolf/Doom/Duke...

12. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Heh, perhaps you'll like this then:

http://www.battleteam.net/tech/fis/gallery.html

Play DOOM 1 from inside DOOM 3. :p

13. Fox5

Veteran

I dunno, I always found frogger and super mario bros quite hard, but they were simple to play. I actually find myself picking up handhelds now or playing simple games(like mario party), just because they don't require you to get really into them to enjoy them, yet you can if you like.

It just takes too much effort to boot up a console or pc, load up a game that requires significant amounts of effort, and then continue to play it, even if it is easy.

Except games on the whole aren't as in depth as they could be, I'm still waiting for console games to catch up with the likes of old PC rpgs like fallout and deus ex.

14. representation3

Newcomer

A game without challenge just isn't fun. Who enjoys random battles in japanese rpgs.

15. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

I agree. A lot of places were hard on D3 for not advancing the genre... but my dad, who loved D1 and D2, loved D3. He liked the new feel and he liked just shooting stuff and no worries. Just point, click, move one.

He had lost all interest in FPS games until D3. They just were too hard for him and after working 12hrs doing net work admin junk all he wanted to do was blow something up, not think and use a ton of skill.

Some games are just not meant for the average hard core gamer. Sony/MS/Nintendo have all noted this at E3 and have all talked about broadening the types of games they offer.