FAH adds X1800 & X1600 support

Discussion in 'Folding For Beyond3D Team #32377' started by Geo, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Hmmm, now I almost feel obliged to try....

3. digitalwanderer

Legend

Damn it, looks real tricky to set it up for GPU processing. GPU processing is quicker I take it?

4. SugarCoat

Veteran

wasnt tricky at all, just downloaded and opened like a regular client. Still wants to suck down the processor cycles though (i'm ignorant to how this works).

Works with 6.11s btw despite what the Faq says.

5. digitalwanderer

Legend

I was thinking since it was using 100% of my CPU that it wasn't using my GPU, using the 6.11s too.

6. SugarCoat

Veteran

well i'm monitoring the cards temps and the core is toasty so i'm just assuming its working.

7. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Yeah, there's been discussion of why it still has to lean on the cpu some. Anyway, that's not unexpected. I didn't find it hurt me doing anything else, tho I was doing it with an X2.

8. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

If you're not using the graphical client, there should still be a .txt log file in the work directory that you can open up and check on progress.

9. Miksu

Regular

Sounds excellent, but this doesn't work with Vista, does it? :(

10. SugarCoat

Veteran

Its not that its not progressing forward, i'm just curious how much of it is actually done by the GPU. Did about 10% in two and a half hours. Most times i can run two clients for about the same output on my X2 as well. Some of the bigger projects can take most of a week of course.

FahCore_10.exe
    Expanded 87057 -> 443725 (decompressed 509.6 percent)
    Project: 2731 (Run 8, Clone 28, Gen 2)
    Working on GPU_lambda

No idea if this is cruising or if its still mainly functioning off the CPU cycles. Temp stayed pretty consistant around 73C (55C is idle), card was sucking down a good 144 Watts as well judging from the jump in the 12V so like i said, it wasnt doing nothing, but exactly how much, i'm not sure.

11. digitalwanderer

Legend

Mine crashed sometime overnight, how do I check to see if it did anything?

Oh, and it totally chugs my machine down to run it...100% CPU useage and everything runs slow. :(

12. SugarCoat

Veteran

its running slow because the 2D clocks are beaing eaten by it. The cards acting like its running a program as well as trying to maintain 2D performance. Since you cant set the affinity on it like you can a central processor, or, i believe, how much it utilizes, its to be expected. Its acting like how it does when you leave a 3D game rendering windowed in the background while trying to use the desktop.

What i'm going to test right now is running the GPU client with 1% CPU utilization and running two regular F@Hs as well both using one processor. We'll see if the GPU client advances at the same pace it did last night and if not then how much slower. I'm just really curious how much the CPU is actually doing. Oddly enough i am noticing increased desktop performance (looking at webpage and opening files and the like) running 3 clients right now with the GPU client taking almost no CPU utilization. Little bit strange. It was operating off core 1 yesterday and i had bad performance same as Digi. Early guess would be that CPU cycles are feeding the work to it. I'm essentially strangling it right now so its not doing much.

You should have a logfile to check in the same directory as your client digi, and if you were using the GUI version, if you open it, it usually tells you the progress; 52000 out of 500000 for example.

Anyway i'll report back in a couple hours.

#12 SugarCoat, Dec 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2006
  13. digitalwanderer

Legend

Dumb question, but how does my rig running in Crossfire with two X1800GTOs affect it? :-|

14. SugarCoat

Veteran

with 1% CPU utilization its completeing 1% roughly every 50 minutes.

with 100% CPU utilization it does 1% every 16-18 minutes.

make of it what you will, certainly isnt making use of that much more powerful GPU yet.

15. digitalwanderer

Legend

Yesterday at midnight I turned it on before going to bed.

Then:

Now:
    Is that good or bad? I got crossfire disabled too running the graphical version on 6.11.

Oh, and my logfile is just riddled with "EARLY_UNIT_END"....

16. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

EARLY_UNIT_END was a known problem early on, but I thought they'd gotten that licked. That's certainly the only thing I can think of that would have caused your WU count to jump like that tho.

Maybe Mike will stop by, or Jawed's seen something on the FAH boards. You've got X1800 and Cat 6.11, right?

17. mhouston

mhouston A little of this and that
    Regular

You'll likely get faster responses in the FAH forums.

I'm successfully running on an X1800XT and X1900XTX at the moment with 6.11s. I've been able to run as single boards in separate machines as well as together in the same machine running 2 GPU clients.

Do you have an X1800XL or XT? Are you running under Windows XP? Do you have the latest DX9 SDK installed? Do things EUE immediately, or is there a delay. If there is a delay, it's likely a bad WU, if it's immediately, the driver is unhappy. Are you running a CPU client along side the GPU client? You need to be careful about machine id and directory structure.

There is a fair amount of commentary about X1800 issues and gotchas on the FAH forums, as well a lots of other information.

The biggest reason to add 1600s was that the are R580 derivatives, and can breath new life into older AGP systems at low cost. 1600's run 1/3 to 1/4 of the performance of the X1900s and as long as the have a full CPU feeding them, the performance seems largely independent of processor speed.

18. digitalwanderer

Legend

My rig: 3500+ Venice @ 2.4Ghz, Asus A8R32-MVP, OCZ EL platinum rev 2 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200, 2xATi Radeon X1800GTOs, Audigy2, Altec-Lansing ADA885, DVDR, 80GB, 200GB, 200GB running XP SP2.

I don't have DX SDK currently installed, and I don't know much about anything else you asked me. :oops:

19. SugarCoat

Veteran

Thats for X1900s so the voltage wont be the same for X1800XLs (i believe its 1.3V).

He was also just commenting about machine ID if you're running more then one client at once and, i believe, making sure that you had F@H installed to seperate directories if you are using more then one client.

Basically whats happening is your WUs are ending before they have a chance to finish.