Fafalada and co == oWn3d!

G

Sorry for singling you out faf, :p but Xbox can run hi res games!
Sega Sports NBA 2k3 can be played at 1280 x 720. Not bad. Wonder what frame rates it is running.

Halo 2 to run at 720p too!?! :oops:

To bad that most HDTV's can't display 720p :)

Here is a Quote from a HDTV "expert"

I am still a little skeptical about its HD ability too, since the conexant chip they are using is limited to 1024x768 input, and then does interpolation to 1080i or 720p - which is still a lot better than 480p but not true HD.

And

in the US, about 0.05% own sets that can support 720p natively - and the XBOX DOES NOT UPCONVERT TO 1080i. Why oh why. Well I guess it's a little tougher for them to support the additional overhead imposed by 1080i, as well as it being an interlaced format... still I don't see why put all that effort into supporting 720p if noone can use it.

But in technical terms it's pretty cool :)

Yeah, simply because it's a higher number, 1080i is far more common...

Screw DTV! It's all about the HDTV! :LOL:

chap - talk about a non-sequitur. Faf isn't a Sony partisan, he's a developer developing for the platform that he expects will make him the most money. You'd do the same if you were in his shoes.

tkf - Your "expert" is not entirely correct. The Xbox hardware is perfectly capable of displaying games on both 720p and 1080i. However, as you say, the game has to be specially written to support the higher resolutions. Those games are a little slow coming to market, but they're starting to come out. And quite a few Xbox games support 640p, the lowest form of HD.

Here's a web site that lists what games support HDTV on each platform:

High Definition Games

It's a fan site, so there's a bunch of mis-information, but it appears to list two Xbox games that support 720p: Street Hoops and NBA 2K3.

Hey, did you notice that this board automatically censors the word f a n b o y from posts? When did that start happening?

This is not the first Xbox game that supports 720p. Street Hoops did it too, if I remember. Also, Dragon's Lair is said to support 1080i (again, probably through upscaling of 1024x768 input?)

The thing is, only few TVs support 720p signal natively - others just convert it to 1080i, and if the signal was already converted from 1024x768 to 720p and then to 1080i, I don't know how good it looks like?

I guess you can expect this feature from the games that don't have very high end graphics, multiplatform games and such, as I think spending fillrate and memory space for a feature like that, is the last thing developer of a graphically high end game will choose to do.

duffer said:
Hey, did you notice that this board automatically censors the word f a n b o y from posts? When did that start happening?

It's been doing that for a good bit of a while now :)

duffer,

faf and a few around said that you cannot run good looking Xbox games in hi res with good performnace.

Granted that NBA2k3 is no bumpmap galore, it is still a good looking game. Now i am curious what framerates is it running at 720p and whether the game cut back on any effects when you chose to go 720p over normal 480p.

Most HDTVs support 720, it's just typically upscaled to 1080. The "expert" is playing with semantics.

There's a noticable difference between 480p and 720p on my WEGA XBR TV, even though it doesn't support 720p natively.

I don't understand why he'd expect the Xbox to upconvert it to 1080 -- that's the TV's job.

Glonk said:
Most HDTVs support 720, it's just typically upscaled to 1080. The "expert" is playing with semantics.

There's a noticable difference between 480p and 720p on my WEGA XBR TV, even though it doesn't support 720p natively.

I don't understand why he'd expect the Xbox to upconvert it to 1080 -- that's the TV's job.

My TV complains when it gets a 720p input :(

Tagrineth said:
Glonk said:

My TV complains when it gets a 720p input :(

As do lots of other HDTV's that was actually the point :)

duffer said:

The day I set them up! Currently its the only censored word!

Back