F1 2001 and side mirror reflection rendering

Reverend

Banned
I'm not sure if this should go in the "games" forum but what the hell :

Does anyone know how EA implements the reflection on the side mirrors of the F1 cars? I have a reason for asking this obviously.

Hey, thanks in advance, ATI-ISV. You with dev rel?

I probably should have stated why I asked this question in the first place but those who know this game would know that there's a problem regarding the wing mirrors when a GF3 is used. Actually, the problem exists as well with the GF4 Tis but work with the GF4 MXs. This is one of the potential problems for developers to deal with in terms of tech support with regards to NVIDIA's naming scheme of their latest "GF4" products.

On 2002-03-06 17:25, ATI-ISV wrote:
Yes, I work in the Developer Relations group.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Oh, I need to have ATI send me their latest cards everytime, all the time.

:D

Reverend,

I assume you have the latest patch for it installed? (I'm not sure wether it addresses the issue, the readme claims to fix some issues with GeForces, but as far as I remember it doesn't mention which ones....)

Reverend, they are Rendering-to-Texture for the mirrors. Meaning, they are using a texture as a Render Target.

Does that help you in any way?

I imagine it's similar technology EA uses to put the hockey player reflections on the ice in NHL 2002, looks sweet :smile:

Rendering to texture is a relatively new concept for a lot of developers. We are seeing more and more use this technique as it is a very good thing to do. We use it in our Nature demo a lot for rendering the reflections and refractions.

On 2002-03-07 16:41, Doomtrooper wrote:I imagine it's similar technology EA uses to put the hockey player reflections on the ice in NHL 2002, looks sweet :smile:

I haven't seen NHL2002, but the usual trick with reflective floors is to mirror the geometry and put in a translucent floor surface.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Simon F on 2002-03-07 18:47 ]</font>

The mirros in F1 2001 are not correct, if you change you POV, but it is cheaper, instead of rendering the geometry for every mirror.

I had probs wiht my gf3, without the patch.

Thomas

ATI-ISV, then there's something wrong with the GF3 and GF4Ti.

I haven't installed the patch but I will do that later (once I've gotten everything fixed in my first-time experience with WinXP). I've looked at the FAQ at EA and using their 16-bit workaround doesn't solve the problem on either a GF3 or a GF4 Ti.

What exactly is the problem you are encountering? Is it not being rendered correctly, at all, wrong?

1st, I suggest trying the patch.
2nd, realize that they use only a subset of the environment to derive the mirrored image so it won't be perfect.

There is absolutely nothing on the mirrors, just black, like when they are turned off.

I will try the patch and see.

Anyone else find it ironic that, when facing a problem with an EA game on an nVidia card, Rev asks ATi dev rel? :smile:

Ati-isv, you rock.

Thanx, but Reverend didn't specifically ask me but since I work with the developers who write that game, it just made sense for me to investigate it for him.

Yes how often do we get a chance to talk with actual engineers/dev relation people here from a video card company :smile:
Very cool, now here's a good question...will warcraft 3 support truform as the Radeon 128 meg PP Presentation showed Blizzard supporting the 8500 features :p

Frequently...

Doomtrooper said:
Yes how often do we get a chance to talk with actual engineers/dev relation people here from a video card company :smile:
Fairly often, I would have said. (Or perhaps I'm just talking to myself ;) )

Back