Eyefinity 3x1 Portrait or Landscape?

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
I'm considering buying two more 19x12, 24" LCDs for eyefinity.
I've seen people running 3x1 displays in both portrait and landscape modes...anyone who's gamed with both have a preference?

What monitor are you using? If it has a TN panel, you can probably forget about portrait, as angle variations would induce annoying color shifts.

My preference goes to landscape, but I don't really have a choice because the bottom bezels on mine are quite thick (because of the buttons). Plus, they're 1920×1080 panels, which wouldn't be enough in portrait. To be honest, I think even 1200 pixels wouldn't be enough. Eyefinity is great but you don't want anything essential to be behind the bezels.

Run in landscape if you want wide FOV. Run in portrait if you want a BIG picture.
Landscape (3x 16:9) = 48:9
Portrait (3x 9:16) = 27:16 ~ 15:9

My current monitor is a Dell 2405FPW and I'm thinking of relegating it to a side monitor and getting two IPS panels for front and the other side.

I'm thinking "in real life" we tend to be vertically limited so the really wide FOV might be more "realistic"...

As to portrait, you'd wind up with 3600x1920 which wouldn't suck...I assume you get a higher vertical FOV with that just as you do a horizontal FOV if you go 5760x1200...

Most of the pivoting monitors have thinner bezels all around - as do all the ones I'm considering

Most of the pivoting monitors have thinner bezels all around - as do all the ones I'm considering

Be careful, some might have thin bottom bezels, but the buttons might only be accessible on the bottom side. That would be pretty awkward in portrait Eyefinity.

Back