Extremely odd problem I need help diagnosing...

So here's the deal, recently I've started to notice some corruption on my pretty much bran new (~4 months old) BenQ FP241VW. The corruptions comes as lines across my screen in any app, 2d 3d whatever. It's not constant, it comes and goes seemingly randomly. So I hooked up the monitor to a friends PC and the same things occurred so it seems the monitor is dead. Which is pretty odd in itself considering how new it is and that nothing happened to the monitor itself. Just sitting on my desk.

Then today my computer just froze and rebooted and I was greeted with 1 long and 2 short beeps, something was up with my vid card. I moved it over to the PCI E 2x slot and my comp posted so now it seems me 16x slot is dead too.

Now the question is, is it just a coincidence? I'm thinking my PSU might be going which might be able to explain the issues I've been having but I'd like some other opinions before I start taring apart my comp.

Thanks in advance!

Properly grounded? I believe so. Although I guess I could have a few screws loose in the case, I'll check it out when I get back home. Could a faulty PSU be causing these problems though?

hm it might have just been a bad LCD then. I took apart my comp today after I got back (the comp had been off for about a day) and put it all back together and now my 16x PCIe slot is back up and running so who knows what the problem was. Hopefully it doesn't come back any time soon.

I've found that my 24" Dell sometimes gets funny horizontal lines which sounds similar.
When its doing it, flexing the DVI cable encourages the lines.

Hasn't done it again since last time I tightened the thumbscrews, touch wood ;)

Back