Explain retina display scaling on macbook

Discussion in 'Unix, Mac, & BSD (3D)' started by Scott_Arm, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Scott_Arm

Legend

How exactly does the retina display on a macbook work. I've read the 15" macbooks run at 1440 x 900 and upscale to 2880 x 1800. You have a perfect resolution doubling, both horizontal and vertical. But why does it look sharp? If the UI is running at 1440x900, how do you get increased sharpness? Why would a photo look any better on a retina display if it's just upscaled? For whatever reason I can't wrap my head around how this is supposed to work.

*maybe I'm totally misunderstanding how this works, and it's not actually rending the UI at 1440x900*

2. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

It's not the display that runs at 1440*900, it's some applications that haven't been updated to support the new pixel density.

Text rendering is vectorized so that will always scale "perfectly".
    AFAIK, the icons in MacOS/iOS have been redesigned to higher resolution pictures when "retina" screens started appearing with iphone 4.

3. idsn6

Regular

The display is 1440x900 virtual points, where each point is backed by 4 physical pixels. You can find more details by skimming through this document.

4. Scott_Arm

Legend

Thanks guys. Makes sense now.