Expected perceptual difference between Scorpio and PS4 Pro *spin-off*

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
720p vs 1080p+ is a huge difference in clarity.
If you are want to buy a console now, Pro is no brainer. +$50 gives 2.3x PS4, 3x Xbox One S.
720p isnt the Standard for XBOX One games. And neither is 900p. It is getting plenty of 1080p content and its biggest games are running on that resolution.

I think this thread should be renamed "Official xbox versus playstation speculation". :LOL:

720p isnt the Standard for XBOX One games. And neither is 900p. It is getting plenty of 1080p content and its biggest games are running on that resolution.

For cross plats there's loads of examples of 1080p vs 900p isn't there?

Forza Horizon? Gears of War? Rise of the Tomb Raider? Are 900p??

Also a lot of multiplatform games seem to operate at 1080p too

This year (nearly 3 years into the cycle), we are starting to see more 1080p games appearing on the Xbox One, whereas up to the tail end of last year, most One titles were 900p or even 720p. It's becoming apparent that developers are getting to grips with the hardware and are starting to push more pixels on both platforms, but they can only do it so far. It seems that graphical quality or framerates are suffering. I wonder if MS is pushing this more on developers as the resolution difference between One and PS4 doesnt seem to be there anymore.

Over the last few years the PS4's graphical advantage has normally seen it having better resolution and better framerate compared to the One version; now that developers are getting better are pushing a higher resolution on the One, I do wonder if we will start to see a bigger difference in framerate or even graphically.

That being said, it has to be good in general that the standard is now moving more towards 1080p on both platforms which now means that pseudo-4k or real 4k on the PS4Pro and Scorpio should be more achievable seeing as developers engines are getting more refined.

And a lot that are 1080p on both

Well of course, but at a cost - and we're still seeing 900p vs 1080p (Deus Ex) and even 900p vs 720p (Mirrors Edge). For anything engines pushing the hardware it's fairly normal to expect this kind of difference and if there's a match then a clear performance advantage. I understand the initital issue was the comment of 720p vs 1080p - I get that, but to suggest the gap has closed is just as wrong a statement.

Well of course, but at a cost - and we're still seeing 900p vs 1080p (Deus Ex) and even 900p vs 720p (Mirrors Edge). For anything engines pushing the hardware it's fairly normal to expect this kind of difference and if there's a match then a clear performance advantage. I understand the initital issue was the comment of 720p vs 1080p - I get that, but to suggest the gap has closed is just as wrong a statement.
To be honest? Based on most face offs the gap did narrow in my book. I wouldnt count games that under perform in both platforms

Graph is even built in. But the site could be more user friendly. And I stopped updating apparently somewhere in May. So some work needs to be done to get the latest data in there.

While seeing if I can quickly update the data in there, I notice that generally the differences haven't changed much, but they do become less visible in my basic graphic, simply because dynamic resolution is becoming more popular. It's harder to capture that in a graphic.

Like for Doom,
Getting down to the basics, as with id Tech 5 before it, Doom brings a dynamic pixel-count to the table. The idea is simple - adjust the internal rendering resolution based on the load in order to maximise performance. This helps keep the performance up even in the busiest of scenes - the same areas where a drop in resolution will be harder to pick-up visually. This highlights one area where a PS4 exhibits an advantage over Xbox One: it boasts a full 1080p output for the vast majority of the duration, with minor drops in resolution occurring in select circumstances. In contrast, Xbox One regularly struggles to hit full 1080p, more often coming in around 1472x828 or lower.

This year (nearly 3 years into the cycle), we are starting to see more 1080p games appearing on the Xbox One, whereas up to the tail end of last year, most One titles were 900p or even 720p. It's becoming apparent that developers are getting to grips with the hardware and are starting to push more pixels on both platforms, but they can only do it so far. It seems that graphical quality or framerates are suffering. I wonder if MS is pushing this more on developers as the resolution difference between One and PS4 doesnt seem to be there anymore.

Over the last few years the PS4's graphical advantage has normally seen it having better resolution and better framerate compared to the One version; now that developers are getting better are pushing a higher resolution on the One, I do wonder if we will start to see a bigger difference in framerate or even graphically.

That being said, it has to be good in general that the standard is now moving more towards 1080p on both platforms which now means that pseudo-4k or real 4k on the PS4Pro and Scorpio should be more achievable seeing as developers engines are getting more refined.
Well games that manage to push 1080p on both platforms dont show a significant difference in framerate. It is usually a slight disadvantage. Not much different between the framerate disadvantage PS3 was seeing compared to the 360 versions back in the day

People dont tend to focus on something like the "silent majority" of XBO titles that are 1080P. All the annual sports titles, for example. That's a lot of titles. Tons of remasters. That's a lot more. And many less demanding titles. Most indie or downloadable titles. Add all those up and I think the clear majority on XBO is 1080P. At least the titles in my older sig, more are 1080P than any other resolution.

That said, the very biggest 3D multiplat triple A's, do tend to be 900P on XBO and 1080 on PS4 (or 720/900 in the case of BF games). Still. Deus Ex Mankind Divided being a recent example. And these are the most well known, probably popular, titles.

Also, there's been a increase in dynamic resolution titles, making it harder to classify particular games.

I remember this thread should not start with that post.

I was talking about games like Battlefield where xbo is 720p and PS4 Pro will be 1080p+. Still og PS4 is better too rendering 1.6x pixels.

People dont tend to focus on something like the "silent majority" of XBO titles that are 1080P. All the annual sports titles, for example. That's a lot of titles. Tons of remasters. That's a lot more. And many less demanding titles. Most indie or downloadable titles. Add all those up and I think the clear majority on XBO is 1080P. At least the titles in my older sig, more are 1080P than any other resolution.

That said, the very biggest 3D multiplat triple A's, do tend to be 900P on XBO and 1080 on PS4 (or 720/900 in the case of BF games). Still. Deus Ex Mankind Divided being a recent example. And these are the most well known, probably popular, titles.

Also, there's been a increase in dynamic resolution titles, making it harder to classify particular games.

Yep. There's also a game that is 1440x1080 on Xbox, would show up as 1080p in my graph. It needs to be updated to something that just calculates the average number of pixels shown from both real and dynamic resolutions or something, but I get a headache just thinking about it. Perhaps just work with min-maxes, as at least those are somewhat known ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forza Horizon? Gears of War? Rise of the Tomb Raider? Are 900p??

Also a lot of multiplatform games seem to operate at 1080p too

Gears of War = dynamic resolution

ROTR = 900p resolution in cutscenes

How many AAA exclusives really runs at full 1080p on XB1 ? Answer : only racing games... the hardware is what it is...

To be honest? Based on most face offs the gap did narrow in my book. I wouldnt count games that under perform in both platforms

In my opinion, the gap is larger than before.

Some recent examples :

- http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-mirrors-edge-catalyst : better effects, 900p vs 720p and better framerate on PS4.

- "This highlights one area where a PS4 exhibits an advantage over Xbox One: it boasts a full 1080p output for the vast majority of the duration, with minor drops in resolution occurring in select circumstances. In contrast, Xbox One regularly struggles to hit full 1080p, more often coming in around 1472x828 or lower [...] We've already presented one of the worst-case scenarios in video form, but the overall experience feels perceptually rock solid to the point where we were surprised to find any drops at all after analysing the footage. On Xbox One, performance isn't quite as robust but it still manages to feel great. During many of the larger battles, frame-rates tumble into the mid-50s with some dips all the way down into the 40s."

So, basically 70% more pixels on PS4 and still a much better framerate.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-doom-face-off

- http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-f1-2016-face-off : better effects, 1080p vs 900p and much better framerate on PS4.

I really don't understand why some people are keep saying that the gap was larger between the PS3/360... this is completely false.

Back