Everything Must Change

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

We don’t often use the news at Beyond3D for personal announcements, but as the eagle eyed among you may have noticed my activity in generating articles or news has died down of late which bears some explanation.

As you may be aware Beyond3D has always been a secondary “job” for me (although it has certainly been my primary concern), but with article pressures it can consume a very large quantity of time, leaving little spare. Following the releases of the latest round of high end graphics chips, approaches from the IHVs for a job position became a little more serious and the notion of combining my obvious fascination for new 3D technologies with a career ultimately became too tempting to pass over, on multiple levels. When weighing up all the available options a position of "Technical Marketing Manager" at ATI in Canada has been taken up as it appears to best suit my career aspirations and represents a new adventure for my wife and me; we are due to emigrate in early July.

The process of receiving a Canadian work permit, once accepting the position, has taken a number of months, which is why there has been little activity on the site from me over this period. Now, of course, as the application has been successfully processed and the position is confirmed my inactivity will obviously become somewhat more long-term!

While, at times, the past 4 years of running Beyond3D have been tough, we’ve seen a great change in the graphics industry. On the back of those changes I’m immensely proud what has been achieved at by all at Beyond3D over this period, the calibre of the community that it has generated which, of course, is a massive element of it. Thanks to all those that have made it what it has been over this period, and especially those that have taken time out of their personal lives to contribute.

While I shall be stepping aside from editorial duties as a result of my career move Beyond3D will obviously still go on. In fact, moves behind the scenes have put Beyond3D on a more secure footing than it has been for a long time and we soon we’ll be able to announce who will carry on steering the site toward its next stage of development and growth. Stay tuned.

2. Entropy

Veteran

Congratulations and good luck with your decision.

3. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

Best wishes on your future endeavours, Dave.

You've done a fantastic job at the helm of B3D over the years.

4. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

Well Congrats!

Good luck and have fun with your new job.

Although i'm little concerned about b3d now :???:

Seems all b3d workers leave for a IHV sooner or later :smile:

I vote for digi or geo as new chief ;)

digitalwanderer likes this.
  5. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Wavey--

Thank you for your invaluable contributions to the education and betterment of the community over many years, and by extension the industry, since they are and will always be to some extent interwoven. Which of course means you haven't ended those contributions by taking the new job, just changed their nature and presentation.

I hope your new employer will allow you to still stop by once in awhile and drop the same maddening hints as always. :wink:

B3D plays much too much a valuable role on multiple levels to be allowed to die, so I'm quite relieved to hear that the gears are grinding away in the background to ensure that it will not. Not to mention who else would put up with me?

Shall I start the rumor going on that account by throwing out some names that would be interesting as new EIC at B3D? :twisted:

On a personal level, congratulations for finding a way to bring your life more into harmony by combining your passion with your profession --it's always the best way to go when it can be achieved, tho all too few get that opportunity (most of us end up holding our noses and paying the bills).

But did they get you with the XGI acquistion, or the BitBoys one? Enquiring minds want to know. :wink:

And, hey, welcome to my continent! Come on in, the water's fine. :grin:

6. Mark

Mark aka Ratchet
    Regular

Congrats Dave, if there was ever anyone in this silly little community who deseves a career doing this stuff it's definitely you.

*/me cries*

7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Congratulations Dave and best of luck to you and your family on the job change/move. It'll be a tough transition, but I'm hoping it works out fantastically for you in the long run. :)

Oh, and if anyone at ATi gives ya any grief just let me know and I'll take care of 'em for ya.... :twisted: ;)

8. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

Congrats, and the best of luck in your Canadian endeavours!

9. nelg

Veteran

Does that mean all senior members get free R600's?

I kid.

Congrats.

10. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Congratulations on getting your dream job Dave. I hope it's everything you want it to be.

11. Hanners

Regular

I'm sure it goes without saying that you have my sincere congratulations, a mind of your calibre deserves a job such as the one you've accepted in the industry, and I'm sure you'll be an invaluable asset to ATI in your new position there.

On top of that, I owe you my sincere thanks and gratitude for granting me the opportunity to contribute to this site, which has never been anything but an honour and a pleasure.

The best of luck to you in the future, and whatever you do, don't be a stranger! If nothing else, make sure they send you to the UK press events! ;)

12. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Congratulations! That is awesome news for you and your family as well as for ATI and their community supporters! I wish you the best in your continued efforts.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

Congrats Dave! Don't forget to drop by my cube and say hello once you get here. :smile:

14. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Oh, and Dave? My most heartfelt thanks for everything you've taught me and for putting up with me without banning me. :)

I really learned a lot here, and I really appreciate it all.

15. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Congratulations, Dave! I've heard Canadadia isn't such a bad place. Thanks for all the work you've done for us here at B3D.

16. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Congratulations, sir! Best wishes with emigration.

And I hope you don't mind our humble currency. :wink:

17. blakjedi

Veteran

Well done Wavey..! Welcome to America..! Hope to see ya around DC whenever you get the chance. Oh and now you cant argue with Marco anymore about Xenos, or else people will say you're doing "PR speak" for ATI ... D'oh! Congratulations to you and you're wife.:grin:

18. Silent_One

Newcomer

Congratulations to you. I've read you / seen you from the days of 3Dfx Gamers and wish you all the best....

19. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

"..." wait or is it "yes"

20. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Absolutely congrats Dave. I wish you the very best, but you will be missed here.