EverQuest Next Canceled

"it wasn't fun"

Probably a contributory reason why Sony jettisoned the studio. Very few MMORPGs manage to strike the balance between grind and fun and even fewer offer anything new or novel over their competitors.

Probably a contributory reason why Sony jettisoned the studio. Very few MMORPGs manage to strike the balance between grind and fun and even fewer offer anything new or novel over their competitors.

I dunno that sounds like a cop out.

SOE launched EverQuest in 1999 after several years of development and it was the first realtime 3D MMORPG that had massive commercial success. They have never managed to repeat that success, even with EQ2 which was not a good balance of grind and fun.

I don't think it's fair to say that it was "a cop out" when Sony tried to make that model work for two decades when there have been many high profile MMORPG failures: Lord of the Rings, Warhammer, Elder Scrolls, Conan.

If the game was good and nearing completion, they'd finish it and make money. It's the same reason Fable got dropped - the product simply wasn't good enough to make money in the market, so it was smart to stop spending money finishing it that'd never be made back.

Sony have no qualms about long, long, long term investment when they trust the product will make an impact.

Thats very shitty news indeed :( !
I was really looking forward to it after my new found interest in MMo games.

There is still Elder Scrolls Online? Occasionally I think about buying it then I just play Skyrim instead. EverQuest was my first 3D RPG and I played it for years and through four of five of the expansions. EQ2 held my attention for barely a few months before my 8 years affair with World of Warcraft began. Frankly I don't know how I had the time!

Back