Everquest 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by epicstruggle, Nov 21, 2004.

1. gurgi

Regular

Vanguard is all I'm really looking forward too after recent alpha testing of another game. I think I will end up playing two games. Warcraft for my raiding/phatlewtz fix. Vanguard for my adventure/RPG urge, and eventually maybe raiding fix (we'll see).

Three cheers for The Visionâ„¢. =P

2. Solzhenitsyn

Newcomer

I have to agree with ChrisRay. what kills me about this game is the content. I think the content in Desert of Flames for instance is of good quality - there just isnt nearly enough of it.

The thing that really blew me away about the original Everquest was how massive the world was. Even on a server that was bursting at the seams population-wise, I could easily slip away to a corner of some underused zone and wonder how many people had even passed through this little area. I dont get that feeling with EQ2.

Even EQ2 itself was badly rushed to get out the gate before WoW. Ever wonder why Fallen Gate is where it is? It was supposed to be in Nek Forest, but Stormhold wasnt finished, so the devs just took Befallen, which was supposed to be in the western end of the commonlands, renamed it Stormhold and plunked it down in Antonica, and Fallen Gate was downtiered and scooted over into its place.

Its the things like that that really rile me about the game. T6 imbuing recipes not being in the expansion was a huge gaffe, then when they put them in they make cobalt scout weapons actually worse when imbued. nice.

Apparently the Devs are considering something like AA. I guess they are worried about striking the right balance. How do you make an AA system where the upgrades are good enough that people will be inclined to grind away for them without making them so strong that it renders obsolete the players who dont have them yet? Im thinking next expansion. AA didnt even make it into eq1 until about 18 months after launch.

#742 Solzhenitsyn, Oct 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2005
  3. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

Ya.. I finally gave up on EQ 2. I cant say I didnt give it a good chance either. Put about 6 months play time into it and managed to get a 51 troubador, and 3 charactors in low 30's and 1 other in high 40s. The game just lacks something that makes me want to come back. Its honestly a little discouraging since I had such high hopes for the game.

WoW is at least staying playable for me but EQ 2 just doesnt have what it takes despite the fact that it already has had an expansion. I doubt WoW will have the life EQ 1 had either though. But blizzard does seem to be doing an ok job with content adjustments. Will just have to see. I gave EQ 2 a good 6 + months to come together. And it just didnt work out for me. Bummer. :(

4. Solzhenitsyn

Newcomer

feh. Im finally to the point where im burned out. The expansion is in my opinion a bust. There are things that are very nice but lets face it, it dosent hold a candle to the first two EQ1 expansions. Guild leader and two of the main officers just quit the game, and it looks like the remaining leadership is considering disbanding. I think the game mechanically is working pretty well, but the content is just lacking, and what little there is tends to be unfinished or reeks of being kludged together at the last minute.

I actually dont mind still playing here and there, if only because I dont think there is anything better out there right now. I guess im in a holding pattern till I can try Vanguard or maybe even something like Auto Assault. Im almost level 57 and basically I log in, do a grifter quest (~2-4% exp) and then play Battlefield 2 for a while. maybe ill pick up Civ 4 in the near future.

5. Ty

Ty Roberta E. Lee
    Veteran

Why would WoW have more staying power than EQ2 for you, ChrisRay?

Just curious as I've thought WoW was the more "shallow" of the two.

6. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

My subscription needs renewed this weekend and I was just thinking last night about letting it lapse again, especially since I can probably ding to 55 by then. A lot of people have quit my new guild and I've just been running into more really rude people, behavior that makes me shy away from MMOs and prefer my Gothic 2s and Oblivions.

7. jvd

jvd
    Banned

errr how so ? I was just on last night playing

8. KimB

Legend

What I'm saying is you like it because it was the first one you got into, and you aren't seeing the benefits that other MMORPG's offer. Every MMORPG has its own benefits and drawbacks.

9. ChrisRay

Veteran

Simply because theres more to do right now. More content. PVP, and end game instances. Right now I just feel WoW has more to offer content wise than EQ 2.

10. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Na i played the realm and meridan 56 before ultima online .

Ultima online had many many aspects missing from every mmorpg since.

It was great hanging with my guild in our castle just bsing about what adventures we had that week . It was great that we could find our own part of the world put down our castle and our houses and hunt there .

Personaly though i think the skill based system was the best thing as u can go and kil lanything and still hae it counted towards your skill. So you didn't have to get stuck in zone b killing something to your lvl 30 to move to zone c and d to kill till your lvl 40 .

11. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Hmm, with Oblivion delayed until next spring and my interest in EQ2 sharply waning. . . .

12. KimB

Legend

World of Warcraft is pretty good. I think it lacks the high-end content of EQ2, but it has a lot going for it as an MMO.

Me, I'm playing City of Villains. I really like the solo game in CoV, and I think it's a bit easier to find groups and whatnot than WoW. It has even less of a high-end game, of course, but it'll at least keep me occupied for a few months :)

13. jvd

jvd
    Banned

told u to get a xbox 360 :)

Yea i burned out on eq2 again . Friggen sucks . But oh well one less bill

14. ChrisRay

Veteran

What do you have to lose? Its worth trying out in any event. I played EQ 2 and WoW extensively before I finally decided which one I preferred. If you have time then its your enjoyment. :)

15. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

I'll give you all the loving you need if you start an Alliance character on Laughing Skull.

That's a standing thing for any of you guys, too.

16. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Heh, renewed my account for one more month. SOE's anniversary birthday gifts are coming up on the 9th and I just joined a new guild. And dinged 55 and got a kick-ass pet spawn spell I want to upgrade to Adept 3.

17. KimB

Legend

yeah, I'm never going to buy any more than one month at a time. I've done the math, and it seems like every time I've bought more, I've ended up losing money.

18. Solzhenitsyn

Newcomer

speaking of exploits, any way I can get that level 58 Brigand Master spell off you with a Beyond3d Discount [tm] ? :)

19. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Finally dinged Quarto to 60. Recently opened up the virtual wallet and got every one of his spells upgraded to at least Adept 3. First maxed-out MMO character I've had for about three years, since DAoC.

20. jvd

jvd
    Banned

I'm waiting for either tabla rasa or star trek online . I'm kinda burnt out on fantasy genre , its al lthe same.

Though i'm enjoying d&d i know i'd get bored of it in 2 or 3 months