Ever watch someone going insane upgrading their phone?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
My son has been putting off upgrading his phone for too long and was forced to as they're doing away with the 3G networks around here and his S7 edge would no longer work.

Got him a Pixel 6. It was supposed to come in a week but it showed up today and me and his sister activated it while he was half awake and he's been going nuts trying to transfer over/log in to all his apps on his new phone. :LOL:

I know it can be frustrating, but he's really going bonkers and it's sort of cracking me up. I was annoyed that it was "so damned hard to activate!" because it took me almost 5 whole minutes on their website to get it working. (I was seriously annoyed that it didn't just work the first time, I am sooo spoiled! :LOL: )

I know it's stressful to change phones, but it's almost sitcom level of frustration for him. I can't help but keekle a little.

App should (I say "should" because some apps didn't auto transfer and if it did, it losses its save files) auto transfer when doing the oobe as long as you use the same Google account.

Btw what do you mean by activating it? in the US, it came to customer in a disabled state?

Transferring his phone number from his old phone to his new one, it's the act of assigning the number to the phone and yeah they come in a non-functional state until they are activated.

Ah I see. Is an embedded virtual sim thingy I assume?

In my country we still use old fashioned physical Sim card so simply eject the card and insert it to the new phone hahaha.

Btw pixel 6 is a good choice indeed! Google even provides regular feature drops. The camera quality also I believe it will keep getting better and better. As Google's algorithm can feel like magic at times.

It also doesn't seem to have any inherent defects like older (pixel 1 and 2?) pixel phones (e.g. Bootloop).

It has a sim card, but it's programmable and gets written to over the wifi network before activating on the cell one from my understanding.

Me and my wife have Pixel 3a XLs, my daughter has a Pixel 4a 5G I think? Ever since we got our 3's we've fallen hard for pure Google android, I really like my Pixel. :love:

Not sure about the activation, mine just worked fine after putting the sim in and all apps got transferred from my old OnePlus 3 without problem. Even the android tv remote that doesn't work on newer phones anymore...

Pretty happy with the phone. Obviously a big step up from what I had. My only gripe is the screen has a lot of discoloration at angles. It's mostly visible with whites so not that big a deal but still. Also charging isn't that fast and I felt I might as not have gotten that google charger.

Android 12 does need some work though. What annoys me most is a lot of apps don't fully use the top and/or bottom of the screen. Even googles own apps don't. YouTube uses the whole screen but for example Chrome doesn't fully use the bottom of the screen.

My big bitches about 12 are the lockscreen, the way your background disappears when you are choosing from active apps, and the removal of a weather app that just displays the temperature and such.

Other than that, it's not as good as 11 for me. :p

That is odd. I am on tmobile and just got a flip 3. I took the sim out of the note 9 and put it in the flip 3 and it just worked. The other nice thing is samsung smart switch. I just plugged in both phones and sat them next to each other and everything transferred including games it took awhile since it was a lot of data but it did it over a wifi direct connection

I'm on Sprint, which I'm pretty sure is now T-mobile but it's an odd thing from a customer perspective as we have some legacy contracts. :|

My big bitches about 12 are the lockscreen, the way your background disappears when you are choosing from active apps, and the removal of a weather app that just displays the temperature and such.

Other than that, it's not as good as 11 for me. :p
My pixel constantly harasses me about updating to 12 but I can't yet. Android 12 disables the ability to use the side volume buttons on a chromecast device, or any remote control device to control volume, like when I send my Spotify to my Google Home devices. Apparently some legal issue with Sonos having a patent on the functionality that is being "resolved" in 12L.

My pixel constantly harasses me about updating to 12 but I can't yet. Android 12 disables the ability to use the side volume buttons on a chromecast device, or any remote control device to control volume, like when I send my Spotify to my Google Home devices. Apparently some legal issue with Sonos having a patent on the functionality that is being "resolved" in 12L.

Android 12 also disables full screen gestures for 3rd party launchers.

Dunno Google has fixed that or not tho.

I was so in love with 11 and how polished it is, and then 12 slapped me in the face like a dead fish. :(

EDITED BITS: After upgrading to 12 me and my daughter set my wife's phone so it won't upgrade unless she asks it to and stays on 11. She's not good with early adoption. ;)

I think I will be experiencing the upgrade frustration when my xiaomi arrived in a few days.... To replace my current xiaomi that I damaged....

(water gets inside, finger print sensor short circuited. Fixed the finger print sensor by disassembling it and drying everything, but I blew up the modem. Probably too much heating when drying the phone)

I need to remember to make sure Microsoft authenticator transfers fine...

New phone and cat medical expenses... There goes my budget for an eink tablet...

Oh and my little bro keeps goading me to buy pixel 6. Despite he's the one with money (and just proudly brag to me the previous day he got lots of money). Sometimes I want to punch my lil bro 🤣

Got the new phone on the weekend and managed to transfer some stuff

"some stuff" because turns out Google was lying when they say the OOBE wizard gonna copy from old to new phone.

1. It only copies apps from Google play store
2. Delisted apps are not copied. Need to manually go into app license history and download
3. None of the app data got transfered so need to relogin, etc.

The phone itself is surprisingly good, with out of the box camera2api features enabled. Thus allowing me to use modded Google camera app. Instantly upgrading the photo quality.

Seriously, why the only android manufacturer that able to do magical computational photography is only Google? Sure huawei can do so too, but they went into faking the photo (e.g. Replacing moon texture with their own) instead of improving photo quality.

Back