European PS3 to rely on software emulation

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Carl B, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

In a surprise <a href="http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4331&NewsAreaID=2" target="_b3d">press release</a> made by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe earlier today, it was revealed that the European version of the PlayStation 3 - set to launch March 23rd - would also be the first hardware revision to feature a greater reliance on software emulation for achieving PS2 backwards compatability.

Written about <a href="http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38360" target="_b3d">recently</a> in the context of comments made by Sony CFO Takao Yuhara, the EE+GS legacy hardware presently included in the PS3 has always been one of the most prominent targets for cost-savings; beyond the chip itself, spillover benefits include reduced board complexity and memory module expense. Sony has had dedicated teams working on perfecting emulation of the complicated PS2 architecture for years now, and the situation has only been made more difficult by the extremely large variety of methodologies developers used when coding their software to extract performance in that exotic environment.

Additionally, it seems the move to fuller emulation comes before all of the kinks have been worked out. States SCEE president David Reeves:"Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology."

Further language in the release makes clear that the support for catalog PlayStation 2 titles on this newer PS3 revision will begin as 'limited.' Although the list of supported titles will no doubt expand as time goes on, and likely include the majority of 'important' games to begin with, one of the key lines of appeal Sony has chosen to emphasize in the past has been the idea that future Sony platforms support legacy games as well. The amount of PR devoted to this subject will likely create some blowback for them now, and it speaks to the complexities of emulating the Graphics Synthesizer that the effort is being essentially halted in what Sony considers to be a 'good enough' state.

Geo likes this.
  2. tuteja1986

Newcomer

So they are not including the Playstation 2 emotion processor in the euro Playstation 3 :(

So let me get this straight they make us pay more... $200USD more in Australia and give the 1st 20K PS3 owner a free Blu-ray movie. Not only that but we have to hope that ps2 software emulator is very stable and bug free which would be a record for Sony as its software support is shockingly terrible and if I remember correctly the reason why its MP3 player didn’t sell was because the software required to use with it was so buggy beyond believe.

Then they also advertise that they are giving away free game " GT HD" which is already free in Japan and USA so i don't see how it is really benefiting the Australians PS3 buyers. Sony is also under the impression that no one will buy a 20GB PS3 which is sort of wrong as i know people willing to buy a PS3 in Australia but they will no way in hell pay $990AUD for it. Most people couldn't care less that if it had 20GB or 60GB hard drive but they do care about the price. $770AUD 20GB PS3 would sell much better than the 60GB model. I would be surprised if Playstation even sold more than 50K in Australia in the 1st month.

The funny thing is that i imported my Playstation 3 for $499USD 60GB model (Japanese version) + $40USD shipping. My buddy walked into a store and bought it for me which was amazing since i know if i had asked my buddy to do the same for a Playstation 2 when it was launched , he would just laugh at me and say it would be impossible. You can also import it much cheaper from Playasia which is much cheaper than retail price at your local store.

Ahh all console company are screwed up in some major way. Currently i don't know which company to hate more.. Nintendo for its arrogances or Sony for screwing everyone but US/Japan.

3. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

It's not possible that Sony's supply-constrained for EE+GS chips, right?

4. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

Everything is possible but I think it's most likely a way to reduce costs..

5. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Nice analysis, Carl.

What I find a little weird in Sony's position is that there seems to be a tension between two competing ideas. One, that HW emu is there to make things *easier* and save them effort, and yet Two, they're saying they're pretty much done spending any effort on BC. If the statement had actually said that they are confident that sw emu has reached a solid place and will continue to improve over time, there would no doubt still be some disgruntlement, but not quite as much as this "no HW, and no real effort on the SW side past this" message that's on the page right now.

6. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

I think that the hardware wasn't in there so much to make things easier on them before rather than just a way to ensure they reached the level of B/C they wished to reach. The idea was that software emulation would be able to basically supplant hardware in all its functionality and then some, but clearly a wall has been hit and I guess it's time to move on, since total B/C doesn't seem in the cards anymore.

Which is too bad in a sense.

7. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

It's too bad the BC compatibility site isn't up either, and apparently won't be until Euro launch day. Nothing like FUDing yourself, y'know?

8. INKster

Veteran

Anyone willing to dry up the presumably small European supply of PS3's for that enormous price differential (compared to the rest of the world anyway) just to play old PS2 titles deserves to be shot. :lol:

j/k.

But i still think it's true that those early, fat-wallet European adopters, are the ones less likely to care about BC.
    By the time the console is here in any significant quantity and reasonable price, the PS2 might be had for mere pennies, like those late, "really" dirt-cheap Gamecube bundles i've seen over here in the past year or so.

The irony is this:
    Every specialty store here has at least one PS3 on display and running games, demos and Blu-ray trailers, but they are all US models... :???: