Etherea² - looking for an investor

Discussion in 'Industry Jobs' started by imerso, Aug 21, 2017.

1. imerso

Newcomer

I have been working on and off on Etherea for a few years now, always using only my spare time. A few years ago it was already in a playable state, with players walking and fighting inside space stations, taking off to open space and visiting planets within a galaxy. Then I froze the project to work on something entirely different on an ambitious job.

Here is a short video that shows some features of the old game:

As said, although not fully complete, it had multiplayer and was playable already. It required a dedicated server though, so I only kept it online for a short time.

Now, I'm back to this project again, and it has a few important improvements. Not only hardware is now more powerful, but I am also a better and more experienced programmer, so I'm in the process of reimplementing everything and it's now called Etherea². This version is compatible with both Oculus Rift on desktops, and GearVR/Cardboard on mobiles. It has many other improvements as well, and I strongly believe on its potential.

Initially, I wrote an entire 3D engine from scratch using WebGL. Then I decided to switch to Unity because it really cuts development time with its many ready features. Here is a mixed video showing part done on Unity, and part done in my own WebGL engine:

I really like the game-design I wrote, and I believe this game can find many people who will like to play it.

At this time, I would like to be able to work on it full time, though, as working only at nights and weekends, when I'm tired already, makes it a painful development. I am looking for someone who is willing to invest on this project and become a partner with me.

If you are this serious partner who wants to bet with me, please contact me at "imerso" ..at.. "imersiva.com".

Thanks.
    Vander

eloyc likes this.
  2. milk

Veteran Regular

kickstart it.

3. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

4. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Nice ! except the burning of "fuel" outside the atmosphere ;)

5. Davros

Legend

not sure your point there, space ships contain oxygen thats how the fuel burns

6. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Ships should burn fuel only when they accelerate and when they slow down, not all the time

7. imerso

Newcomer

Hello guys, thanks for the comments.

I have considered Kickstarter, but with all recent failing projects, even a few big ones, I'm afraid most people these days would not be willing to take the risk. Maybe after I do some more progress then. I hope to have a working prototype with the player starting from one space station, walking through a few simple goals, taking off to space and landing/walking into a nearby planet to complete his first mission. It will also allow full galaxy exploration, although with very limited gameplay yet. With that done, a Kickstarter maybe gains traction. I would prefer to have some initial funds so I could dedicate my entire time even to the first public prototype, though, and only then maybe try crowd funding.

For the new engine (it is being integrated to Unity but it's still a planetary engine), I will most probably be more careful with the fuel burning in outer space (so it only burns when thrusting). Also note that in this game when the ship is inside something like a space station, that something has its own artifical gravity, so it needs to burn as well. That is to keep the fun, as a fully realistic physics would make the game a bit boring, imho.

digitalwanderer likes this.
  8. imerso

Newcomer

Here is a second video of the new version:

There is an urgent todo list yet: in-game editing tool, scripting, multi-user, vegetation and a few other details.

This time I want it to become a platform which in some way resembles Second-Life, that is, not a pre-defined game but instead a place for people to express their creativity by modding it (and providing tools for that).

I am almost decided to kickstart with a twist: if it succeeds, it will be fully open-sourced to all bakers.

Do you think that might work?

Thanks.

9. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Veteran

Can't be open source to a limited community as the limited community makes it closed source. So maybe paid-up license for all backers.

10. imerso

Newcomer

As I understand open-source, it's not necessarily accessible to everyone (that is, "free"). So (as I understand) it would still be open-source, for those who buy it.

Closed-source is when no user has access to the source-code, freely or not.

11. Davros

Legend

The code could be opensource, but not the data (textures, models ect)

digitalwanderer likes this.
  12. imerso

Newcomer

13. imerso

Newcomer

Well =)

I am finding out the hard way that my experimental business model does not validate. The campaign is a colossal failure, with no traction at all. I am back to reality already, so it is back to spare time on/off work again. If some day I manage to complete, good, if not, the gained knowledge and experience will surely help me on my daily jobs.

Thanks.

14. Davros

Legend

Imerso.
    Have you heard of a game called starshatter?
    basically a guy called milo created a space sim and during development matrix games got in touch and offered to distribute it for him
    they also help him completing the game.
    It eventually got opensourced
    you can find details here and get the game and sourcecode
    http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=234.0
    and maybe you can get in touch with him and he can give you some advice

imerso likes this.