ETA strikes again

DemoCoder

Veteran
It's not enough we have to worry about religious nut-job extremists, but it seems Marxist separatist nutcases are back too.

DemoCoder said:
It's not enough we have to worry about religious nut-job extremists, but it seems Marxist separatist nutcases are back too.

My first thought was that it was A-Q again, motivated by the Spanish US support. The reasons were partly the date and partly my recollection that ETA is in the habit of giving warnings. But thinking a bit longer ETA seems the more likely culprit, what with the elections and the car with all the explosives recently found that I think was connected to ETA.

Should it be ETA this is an escalation of the violence in more ways than bodycount, provided that I'm correct about ETA's previous warning habits.

Yes, I wondered about AQ too. The multiple semi-synchronised attacks smacked of 11/9 too. Presumably ETA will claim responsibility if it is them? That seems to be the European terrorists way of doing things.

I must admit i was a bit ignorant on the whole eta fact's. Reading up on some of their tactics and agenda, I cant help but wonder how they have any support in their home regions. It doesnt seem like spain has a heavy presence in the basque region, not sure what the hell eta is trying to do. According to polls most basqueans, dont advocate violence for independence.

Well another terrorist group that needs to be taken out.

later,
epic

Hmmm... BBC news is reporting that a political party "closely linked to ETA" are saying they don't think it's the work of ETA.

nutball said:
Hmmm... BBC news is reporting that a political party "closely linked to ETA" are saying they don't think it's the work of ETA.
Could the attack have been so horendous(sp?) that they think their will be some serious backlashes. Apparently about 173 killed so far and 500 wounded. Number of killed still expected to rise.

later,
epic

epicstruggle said:
nutball said:
Could the attack have been so horendous(sp?) that they think their will be some serious backlashes. Apparently about 173 killed so far and 500 wounded. Number of killed still expected to rise.

It's possible.

I know in the past some IRA attacks were "too successful". More than once they failed to claim responsibility, or apologised for killing too many people. That gives you an insight into their mindset.

Apparently not only I found this attack out of style for ETA. The lack of warning, no responsibility claiming, coordination, level of violence and choice of target are all at odds with ETA's usual achievements. They are, IMHO, in line with what A-Q usually strives for.

For argument's sake, let's suppose that this is A-Q's work. Then why did they choose this day? It would make sense (well, in a terrorist meaning of sense) for ETA to wreak havoc close to elections. But why would A-Q do it now, when it's known that security is extra high?

horvendile said:
Apparently not only I found this attack out of style for ETA. The lack of warning, no responsibility claiming, coordination, level of violence and choice of target are all at odds with ETA's usual achievements. They are, IMHO, in line with what A-Q usually strives for.

Yes, that's true. From what I've read of them in the past they work in a very similar way to what we've been used to in this country from the IRA.

The news are now speculating that it might be an ETA splinter group -- a group of younger, more idealistic ETA members who've split from the main organisation (presumably because they thought it had gone soft).

I guess we have to wait and see over the next few hours or days whether anyone does claim responsibility.

Latest reports have claimed 173 dead and 10 separate explosions causing the carnage. 3 sets of explosives timed to explode when the emergency services would be dealing with the crisis were defused.

Spanish authorities seem pretty certain it's ETA at the moment.

Could someone give me a thumbnail sketch of what the ETA is and why the lame fucktards would bomb innocent people to try and forward their agenda? :(

From the little I've read, this is not your typical ETA attack. Though with the recent arrests over the past few years there could be new leadership that's changed 'styles' (hate using that word here).

It doesn't sound like a real ETA attack, they always have 1 person who they specifically want to kill with - 13 - bombs (3 were prevented) that would mean 13 people witch is very unlikely. And ETA always gives hints about his attacks.
Nobody is ruling out Islam Extremists (Spain supported the US on the war in Iraq).

(I believe the ETA wants a part of Spain to become independent, the Basques or something like that)

Another dumb question, but isn't the whole point of a terrorist attack like this to show how your group/faction/killing-psychos can inspire fear and unrest so the group who did it should WANT to take credit for it I should think. :|

Isn't it just wanton violence otherwise?

I read a few articles on that bomb plot but I didnt read the french gov paid that ransom... I seriously doubt they did...

Back