erased

Okay lets say you have a 512x512 texture that has checkboarded transparency per texel ( think of a chess board but say the white squares a see through ). If you wanted to model that with triagle it would require roughly 262144 triangles. Okay so thats for 1 tile of the that texture now if you had say a fence of it that had say 20 tiles your talking about 4 million triangles I think thats gonna do some horrible things to your vertex processing.

This is the worset case example but alot of cases wouldn't be that much better. I also think geo instancing does'nt work that well with models that have lots of triangles.

Now thats for blocky pixels if you want to make the model smooth you will need many more triangles.

Re: textures or instancing?

ninelven said:
Regarding the problem with transparent textures and aliasing, it seems to me that these might be good cases for the use of geometry instancing instead. Of course, I don't really know what I'm talking about, so I don't have a clue as to performance viability. Yes, no, maybe?
You mean like jittering each partially transparent surface N times and giving each 1/N max opacity? If so, it might work. Jittering it in screen space would be a minor trick, but it should be doable.

Inane_Dork said:
You mean like jittering each partially transparent surface N times and giving each 1/N max opacity? If so, it might work. Jittering it in screen space would be a minor trick, but it should be doable.
Dunno could you align it up properly by jittering the vertex in screen space for some reason this doesn't seem right ( it could be valid theres just something in the back of my head saying theres a problem )? Regardless your going to have other problems because your not just doing opacity tests your also doing N looks up on the texture colour which will lead texture bluring you would atleast need to fiddle with the texture LOD. Actually I don't even think you could get that far can you do an alpha blend and test at the same time?

ninelven said:
Regarding the problem with transparent textures and aliasing, it seems to me that these might be good cases for the use of geometry instancing instead. Of course, I don't really know what I'm talking about, so I don't have a clue as to performance viability. Yes, no, maybe?
I really don't see how. If you simulate the textures with geometry, you won't need instancing much because the batches will be so large.

Back