Epic's new PC exclusive title

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Richard, Apr 9, 2012.

1. GMâ„¢

Newcomer

The platform exclusive could well be called Fortnite.

[​IMG]

Chris Mielke may have let it slip on LinkedIn. Since this 'leak' it has now been changed to show Fortnite (TBD)...

... interesting no?

Source: Joystiq.

2. hoho

Veteran

No, I meant Flash

3. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

They could always strip out MP altogether, or at least have a very cut down basic version of it. I doubt many PC gamers would be interested in the MP aspect anyway vs the SP. People would obviously complain but they could offset that by maybe releasing both 2 and 3 with no MP as part of the same package. Keeping split screen co-op intact would please a lot of people too.

4. Malo

Malo YakTribe Gaming
    Veteran Subscriber

Fortnite isn't exactly something new and unannounced though.

5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Isn't Fortnite that kinda Base building Zombie defense type game they mentioned a few months back?

Regards,
    SB

6. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Especially since they cut split-screen from the original:mad2::mad2::mad2:

I agree with pjbliverpool, we don't need deathmatch, give us Gears 2/3 with coop.

The pragmatist in me agrees with you. Knowing Epic's recent with PC gaming ever since 2005, they are certainly trying to pull fast one.

OTOH, if all they want is sell UE4 licenses all they have to do is give Square Enix a license. Imagine the new Deus Ex game running on high end pcs with graphics on par with that UE4 engine trailer. :spooge: ::oops:

7. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Subscriber

I hear they'll be working with John Romero for this PC Exclusive...

8. Davros

Legend

Diakatana 2 We need more robot frogs in gaming

9. kyleb

Veteran

I'm more disappointed with the fact that they cut surround sound in the PC port of the original. Splitscreen is a nice option, but LAN/online co-op is where it's at.

10. green.pixel

Veteran

Yeah, I would like to think they know that mechanics inseparably interact with aesthetics, and not create a noisy mess again. That stuff isn't just important, it's fundamental.

11. I.S.T.

Veteran

Sadly, it's quite rare for a PC game to have surround sound...

12. kyleb

Veteran

What games are you thinking of specifically? I've played a lot of PC games over the years, and the most recent one I've come across besides Gears of War which doesn't support surround sound is Silent Hill 3. Heck, I'm currently playing Omikron: The Nomad Soul, a game from 1999, and it has great surround sound.

#32 kyleb, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2012
  13. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I don't know where this is coming from but I'm 100% sure it doesn't apply to any recent non-indie/non-low-budget PC game.

Unless you mean something other than positional audio.

14. Malo

Malo YakTribe Gaming
    Veteran Subscriber

Maybe he is referring to Dolby Digital AC3 sound.

15. Davros

Legend

Or surround (4channel) vs 5.1

16. kyleb

Veteran

It's not up to PC games to support Dolby Digital anyway, Dolby Digital Live sound devices are what take the multichannel audio output by a game and encode that into an AC-3 bitstream.

For most games that's just a matter picking the speaker configuration in the playback devices section of the Windows sound settings, and then the games will mix the audio for whatever configuration is selected.

#36 kyleb, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
  17. joker454

Veteran

One thing to remember about audio on pc is that anytime a video driver is updated on NVidia hardware it reverts the audio setting back to 2 speakers. So you have to go to preferences and set it back to 5.1.

18. green.pixel

Veteran

I think is worth pointing out that even though they are making a PC-exclusive game, it still doesn't change the overall climate they are developing in and consequently their design philosophy. The industry is pretty different even compared to the time when UT3 came out, not to mention 2K4 or 99.

I wouldn't expect much from this TBH. If it's an FPS, expecting something with the mechanical complexity and variety of 2K4 and without some kind of Skinner Box systems in place is basically setting yourself for dissapointment.

#38 green.pixel, May 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
  19. Davros

Legend

It's this isnt it ?

20. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Uh, so a zombie game with cartoonish team FORTress 2-esque graphics, possibly L4D team shooter-like gameplay?

I guess Valve are a good target to plagiarize; it's the sincerest form of flattery after all.

Meh. Why do we get this as a PC exclusive? :shock: Belongs on a console, why can't this game fuck off over in that direction and stay there.