Fortnite by Epic Games [PC Edition]

The platform exclusive could well be called Fortnite.

chrismielkeheaderimg530px1512.jpg

Chris Mielke may have let it slip on LinkedIn. Since this 'leak' it has now been changed to show Fortnite (TBD)...

... interesting no?

Source: Joystiq.

Epic owns the Gears IP, but then I don't know what they'd have to do with the multiplayer/co-op side since the sequels have become so heavily tied into the XBL service, assuming they want to self-publish ala Alan Wake. Epic may be allowed to put out a PC version, but then maybe won't have the backing for publishing or additional funding to spend time reworking the multiplayer side (then additional PC QA)? In the end, it may not even be worth Epic's time at this point. :p

At least Alan Wake only had the SP to worry about.

They could always strip out MP altogether, or at least have a very cut down basic version of it. I doubt many PC gamers would be interested in the MP aspect anyway vs the SP. People would obviously complain but they could offset that by maybe releasing both 2 and 3 with no MP as part of the same package. Keeping split screen co-op intact would please a lot of people too.

Fortnite isn't exactly something new and unannounced though.

They could always strip out MP altogether, or at least have a very cut down basic version of it. I doubt many PC gamers would be interested in the MP aspect anyway vs the SP. People would obviously complain but they could offset that by maybe releasing both 2 and 3 with no MP as part of the same package. Keeping split screen co-op intact would please a lot of people too.

Especially since they cut split-screen from the original:mad::mad::mad:

I agree with pjbliverpool, we don't need deathmatch, give us Gears 2/3 with coop.

I think they are looking for something to showcase UE4. That can't currently be done on consoles.

Once that mission is accomplished, I'm willing to bet they go right back to console first developement.

Regards,
SB

The pragmatist in me agrees with you. Knowing Epic's recent with PC gaming ever since 2005, they are certainly trying to pull fast one.

OTOH, if all they want is sell UE4 licenses all they have to do is give Square Enix a license. Imagine the new Deus Ex game running on high end pcs with graphics on par with that UE4 engine trailer. :spooge: ::oops:

I hear they'll be working with John Romero for this PC Exclusive...

I`d love a true successor to UT2004 - bright, colorful and not abused for showing off new engine effects. Not holding my breath tho.

Yeah, I would like to think they know that mechanics inseparably interact with aesthetics, and not create a noisy mess again. That stuff isn't just important, it's fundamental.

I'm more disappointed with the fact that they cut surround sound in the PC port of the original. Splitscreen is a nice option, but LAN/online co-op is where it's at.

Sadly, it's quite rare for a PC game to have surround sound...

What games are you thinking of specifically? I've played a lot of PC games over the years, and the most recent one I've come across besides Gears of War which doesn't support surround sound is Silent Hill 3. Heck, I'm currently playing Omikron: The Nomad Soul, a game from 1999, and it has great surround sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, it's quite rare for a PC game to have surround sound...

I don't know where this is coming from but I'm 100% sure it doesn't apply to any recent non-indie/non-low-budget PC game.

Unless you mean something other than positional audio.

Maybe he is referring to Dolby Digital AC3 sound.
It's not up to PC games to support Dolby Digital anyway, Dolby Digital Live sound devices are what take the multichannel audio output by a game and encode that into an AC-3 bitstream.

Or surround (4channel) vs 5.1
For most games that's just a matter picking the speaker configuration in the playback devices section of the Windows sound settings, and then the games will mix the audio for whatever configuration is selected.

One thing to remember about audio on pc is that anytime a video driver is updated on NVidia hardware it reverts the audio setting back to 2 speakers. So you have to go to preferences and set it back to 5.1.

I think is worth pointing out that even though they are making a PC-exclusive game, it still doesn't change the overall climate they are developing in and consequently their design philosophy. The industry is pretty different even compared to the time when UT3 came out, not to mention 2K4 or 99.

I wouldn't expect much from this TBH. If it's an FPS, expecting something with the mechanical complexity and variety of 2K4 and without some kind of Skinner Box systems in place is basically setting yourself for dissapointment.

Uh, so a zombie game with cartoonish team FORTress 2-esque graphics, possibly L4D team shooter-like gameplay?

I guess Valve are a good target to plagiarize; it's the sincerest form of flattery after all.

Meh. Why do we get this as a PC exclusive? :oops: Belongs on a console, why can't this game fuck off over in that direction and stay there.

Back