England wins Ashes

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
They deserved to win, played some great cricket in this series. Though Aussies were themselves to blame for not winning last test. They dropped Pieterson on ZERO...

Aussies will win the next one, then the one after and then so on until they lose once more and then win another 500 matches.

The difference is the aussies used to ahnilate us. Warne put it right when he said "England might not be the best in the world, but they could be if they play this well consistently".

K.I.L.E.R said:
Aussies will win the next one, then the one after and then so on until they lose once more and then win another 500 matches.
Once they've rebuilt their team - a lot of their key players from this test series will be retiring now or very soon. They will have a tough time replacing players like Warne (who really single-handedly prevented a more humiliating defeat for the Ausies). It will be interesting to see whether they can get in good new blood....

Anyway, congrats to England for playing some brilliant and entertaining cricket. Special mention, too, must go to the spirit in which both teams played, with good sportsmanship on both sides.

sytaylor said:
The difference is the aussies used to ahnilate us. Warne put it right when he said "England might not be the best in the world, but they could be if they play this well consistently".
Even as an Aussie, I think it's great that England won - because it's boosted the profile of the game in the UK. For example, I've noticed a lot more kids playing cricket in the parks around our area (in the UK) which has to help the game.

The ashes went against all that, the drama was non stop. Both teams through everything at each other and the whole series see sawed every couple of overs.

England are better than the Aussies at the moment and they deserve to win, Pietersen is a great player and he comes from the next country who will win the Aussies. Cannot believe they suffered to play Harmison we trashed him for 9 runs per over. Aussies is on their way out the same with the Tri-Nations (Rugby) they lost all their games in it.

Am I the only one who finds the topic name rather funny? :)
Perhaps it's because I don't know a thing about cricket (and it's one of the few sports I don't know a thing about), and know even less about "Ashes" except the obvious meaning of the word. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Crisidelm said:
and know even less about "Ashes" except the obvious meaning of the word. :)
The obvious sense of the word is, in fact, correct. The ashes literaly are... ashes. They are (supposedly) the burnt remains of the bales (the little 'sticks' that go on top of the stumps) from the very first test match between England and Australia.

Diplo said:
The obvious sense of the word is, in fact, correct. The ashes literaly are... ashes. They are (supposedly) the burnt remains of the bales (the little 'sticks' that go on top of the stumps) from the very first test match between England and Australia.

Ach so! Remarkable prize indeed.

Diplo said:
I don't know if it was from the first match but, just to add to this, it was (jokingly) meant to signify the death of English cricket. There's some info here.

In Affectionate Remembrance
of
E N G L I S H C R I C K E T,
which died at the Oval
on
29th A U G U S T, 1882,
Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances
R.I.P.
N.B. - The body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia.​

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ashes are (allegedly) the remains of the bales from the test where Australia first beat England. Cracking series this time around but I'd have to say not too many of the supporting Aussie bowlers look up to much. They've certainly got rather large boots to fill in Warne and McGrath!

The Aussies should stop playing cricket because Glen McGrath and Shane Warne are too old, a batsman joining that list is Adam Gilchrist, darn that guy is good but he's really a little bit too old now...

Diplo, I dont really think Aussie needs to rebuild. They have so many good players they could field 2 teams. Esp with regard to one dayers. I think they lost out of cockyness and some bad coaching/tactics/captaincy.

I think you and others Dawid are being a bit harsh on the Aussies in the tri nations. They pushed us(NZ) very hard in the last game, with half the team almost being 2nd stringers. Matt Rogers played well for a first time five eigth at internation level. They had an horrific injury toll. Tho South Africa were very unlucky not to win this year, very good team.

Bails not Bales

and yes that letter in 1882 was the start of the the Ashes, after all how could a colony of convicts defeat the home nation, the seat of the Empire?

Australia are ok for batsman, but need to think about how the hell they replace Warne & McGrath. They do need to change 4-5 of the ream.

Back