Enemy Territory: Quake Wars coming to PS3/360

Titanio

Legend
Great news :)

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2007/2/13-32

The war between the GDF and Strogg will soon be igniting on next-generation consoles as id Software and Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) today confirmed that Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars™, the team-based first person action title, and already one of the most anticipated new properties of 2007 is coming to next-gen platforms. In this epic multiplayer-focused game, players can choose to defend humanity as a part of the Global Defense Force (GDF) or destroy it as a merciless Strogg alien invader. Under the executive production of id Software, Nerve Software is developing Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, while Z-Axis is the developer for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.

“We're pleased to be working with Nerve and Z-Axis to bring the highly-anticipated gameplay from Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars to the Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 system,” said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software.

16-player online on the consoles, though..I thought the player limit was higher on PC?

24 players on PC for the maps they're shipping.

Kevin Cloud: The game is balanced and designed for 24 players. Sometime after release people will probably make 64 player maps and run bigger games, but a 400 player game is not in the foreseeable future – primarily due to the server bandwidth requirements in tracking all those players with the precision required in a fast-action shooter.
http://www.planetquakewars.net/content.php?content.44

I wonder if they're doing a straight port or re-designing the maps for 16 players.

Is this old news? I remember looking forward to this on 360 back when it was announced at e3 2005. Perhaps it's new to ps3?

Looked like a great concept though from what I remember. Outdoor>Indoor FPS :smile:

What the consoles don't need more of, bad id games ported from the PC. I think online only games like the BF series will fail on the consoles, especially with the current small userbases. People will buy and play it for a month and move on to the next big online game.

You sure you're not thinking of the wolfenstein game? I think this is news as far as both platforms go.

No It was definitely Quake Wars, perhaps it was just speculation at the time but I'm pretty sure it was reported to be headed to xb360 back then.

Either way, looked like a good one at the time, hopefully it comes out while it's still notable!:smile:

Sounds awesome, but I can't help but think I'd still prefer the PC version. W:ET is one of my favorite PC games and I can't possible think of playing it with a ps3/360 controller. But I'll see, this is pretty good news though. :)

Are they all releasing the same day, or PC version first?

If they have enough brains to include kb/m support I'll take a look. If they don't cap players at 16 I'll be genuinly interested. And if we can get crossplay between pc/consoles I'm all over it.

Some quick Googling:

Nerve Software has worked exclusively with id on the Wolfenstein and Doom franchises.
Z-Axis Games made X-Men: The Official Game.

As cross-platform port comparisons go, I don't think this will end well.

Since id software arent the ones developing the console versions, hopefully the console versions(more specifically the PS3 version) wont have framerate/graphical problems (among other things).

Raven built Quake 4 and ported it to the 360. The id developed games I've played have always been solid, they are just hit and and miss on the games they farm out to others.

I am fairly certain this was announced at first to be both PC and Xbox 360, I believe the PS3 release is the only new information here. I believe this could be further confirmed by the fact that Z-Axis (read: a no name) is handling the port to PS3, while Nerve (read: handled RTCW multiplayer) is doing the Xbox 360 port. I know I'd certainly trust Nerve far more than Z-Axis.

Curious about the 16 player limitation, is this a fall back on the lack of dedicated servers?

I am fairly certain this was announced at first to be both PC and Xbox 360

I don't believe it was ever officially announced. Speculated and no commented, but never confirmed. I know on another site where there are a number of us fans of RtCW that we have been waiting to see any official announcements. If there ever was one we missed it and there are a lot of peeps posting news on forums. Hard to imagine this one going unnoticed by pretty much everyone.

Curious about the 16 player limitation, is this a fall back on the lack of dedicated servers?

Good chance of it. I know with my Cable service (6mb downstream, 384kbps upstream) that the upstream bandwidth gets saturated at about 6-12 players, depending on the game.

Is this old news? I remember looking forward to this on 360 back when it was announced at e3 2005. Perhaps it's new to ps3?

Looked like a great concept though from what I remember. Outdoor>Indoor FPS :smile:

Its definately old news, carmack been talking about this coming to next-gen consoles for a good while.

I believe this could be further confirmed by the fact that Z-Axis (read: a no name) is handling the port to PS3, while Nerve (read: handled RTCW multiplayer) is doing the Xbox 360 port. I know I'd certainly trust Nerve far more than Z-Axis.

No-names don't get such projects. Probably the studio is new, but the people are console veterans.

No-names don't get such projects. Probably the studio is new, but the people are console veterans.

No doubt they have to have staff with some experience, but just looking at Virtua Tennis 3 I think we can see how publishers dispense dev teams onto projects based on their expected importance and sales (PS3/AM2, Xbox 360/Sumo Digital). That id/Splash Damage outsourcing scheme isn't surprising when the market conditions are considered. The 360 has a larger install base and more FPS fans. Now if they were really serious they would aim for H2 2007 to fill in the slow period AND avoid the Halo 3 wave (plus HL2 and a ton of other FPS). But even then QW should be unique enough to stand out at any time of the year. This title is definately on my radar.

Yeah but I believe the PC version got delayed to 2008.

So console version, long time coming, even if simultaneous release.

Yeah but I believe the PC version got delayed to 2008.

That's financial 2008 which starts April 2007 for Activision...so there's no new delay, it's the same one from last year that pushed it to 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back