Enemies new Unity demo

Looks nice but these Unity demos are so far removed from actual game development on the engine.

I was going to post something similar. To be fair, real-time production is it's own thing these days. It's not all about games as it was in the old days of Unity/UE.

Also, who doesn't like cool real-time demos?!

That weird fringing around her hair (you can see it at 1:10 in the video) is throwing me off. It exists around her body as well, but less obviously. It makes it look like she's been cut and pasted into the scene.

Looks better when the scene behind her head is dark. Also doing weird things when the planet is behind her head. Especially weird in the lower right corner of her head starting around 1:36. It's like her hair is disabling the DOF of background objects or something?

Yeah, a lot of weird rendering artifacts involving her hair and the background.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:

The fact they have other quality settings for lower end hw like the consoles means this engine is going to scale quite well i think. The 4k as i understand, is already upscaled using hardware-dlss and then it can achieve 30fps.... quite heavy on hardware, seeing it was a 3090 being used. Never thought Unity would be this impressive, but its certainly good to see its not just UE5 out there.

Looks truly incredible. Crazy how just 26 years ago, this... was a realistic real-time rendered human character model.

maxresdefault.jpg

And now we're here:

FOZUWg9XoAYypjr

I know it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.. but even pre-rendered CGI from back in those days doesn't even begin to come close. Tech engineers and artists are absolute wizards.

Looks truly incredible. Crazy how just 26 years ago, this... was a realistic real-time rendered human character model.

maxresdefault.jpg

And now we're here:

FOZUWg9XoAYypjr

I know it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.. but even pre-rendered CGI from back in those days doesn't even begin to come close. Tech engineers and artists are absolute wizards.
Comparing a game to a tech demo is flawed.

And now we're here:

FOZUWg9XoAYypjr

That fringing around the hair and body just bugs the hell out of me, it's the only thing I can see whenever I look at it now. I really REALLY want to know what the heck is going on with that. Whatever it is, if this ever makes it into a game, hopefully there will be a way to disable it.

Pre-rendered CGI doesn't have that image destroying (IMO) fringe around characters, however. In this particular shot it really makes the hair look bad (especially on the left side).

Regards,
SB

That fringing around the hair and body just bugs the hell out of me, it's the only thing I can see whenever I look at it now. I really REALLY want to know what the heck is going on with that. Whatever it is, if this ever makes it into a game, hopefully there will be a way to disable it.

Pre-rendered CGI doesn't have that image destroying (IMO) fringe around characters, however. In this particular shot it really makes the hair look bad (especially on the left side).

Regards,
SB

Looks to me like they are hairs being hit by the back light. They're breaking down the way most thin lines do in rasterization. I don't see anything weird about the edges around the body. It's picking up and reflecting the colour of the light behind her. I honestly don't see anything that looks like a "fringe." It's thin hair and the clothing looks pretty much correct. That image is shockingly good for real-time graphics.

This just looks like loose hairs that break down a bit because pixels. Not sure if there's some chromatic aberration or that's just depth of field.
upload_2022-3-21_22-57-17.png

This just looks right. The pattern in her clothing is metallic or glossy and it's bouncing the light from behind her towards the camera. It seems like there might bee a thin edge that's reflecting the light where maybe it shouldn't, but that may just be another line of that glossy/metallic material.
upload_2022-3-21_22-58-22.png

Last edited:
Looks to me like they are hairs being hit by the back light. They're breaking down the way most thin lines do in rasterization. I don't see anything weird about the edges around the body. It's picking up and reflecting the colour of the light behind her. I honestly don't see anything that looks like a "fringe." It's thin hair and the clothing looks pretty much correct. That image is shockingly good for real-time graphics.

This just looks like loose hairs that break down a bit because pixels. Not sure if there's some chromatic aberration or that's just depth of field.
View attachment 6349

This just looks right. The pattern in her clothing is metallic or glossy and it's bouncing the light from behind her towards the camera. It seems like there might bee a thin edge that's reflecting the light where maybe it shouldn't, but that may just be another line of that glossy/metallic material.
View attachment 6350

It's less bad there (still quite bad), but perhaps you'll be able to see it here.

Capture.JPG

There appears to be multiple things going on, the most noticeable is that it appears that DOF on background objects is disabled in the vicinity of the hair.

If real life video, photos or game rendering looked this bad, everyone would notice, but for some reason it's getting a pass here and I have no idea why.

It looks far worse in motion than it does in the still picture, but ever since I've seen it, there's no way for me to not see it anymore.

The fringing I thought I was seeing with her clothing appears to be just where the decorative pattern of her sleeve gives way to the solid material. So, my bad on not looking at that bit more closely before.

Regards,
SB

probably best human face cgi I've ever seen, looks defenitly better than human faces in matrix awakens demo

They must have used motion capture to make the facial expressions and body movement so natural. Usually it falls apart when they start talking but this looks so real.

Reactions: snc
It's less bad there (still quite bad), but perhaps you'll be able to see it here.

View attachment 6351

There appears to be multiple things going on, the most noticeable is that it appears that DOF on background objects is disabled in the vicinity of the hair.

If real life video, photos or game rendering looked this bad, everyone would notice, but for some reason it's getting a pass here and I have no idea why.

It looks far worse in motion than it does in the still picture, but ever since I've seen it, there's no way for me to not see it anymore.

The fringing I thought I was seeing with her clothing appears to be just where the decorative pattern of her sleeve gives way to the solid material. So, my bad on not looking at that bit more closely before.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, thin geometry really does fuck post-DoF over. It happens is many current games too, they just don't often have situations which are as pathological as this one: multiple intersecting layers of pixel-thin hair strands.
Realtime rendering always takes two steps forward, one step back...

@Silent_Buddha Still not sure exactly what I’m supposed to be seeing. All I see is hairs that are reflecting the colour of the light that are breaking down because they’re thin. It’s still a real-time render so all of the under-sampling issues apply. Potentially TAA problems as well. DOF and or chromatic aberration. There’s nothing in that demo that looks even remotely close to bad to me.

@Silent_Buddha Still not sure exactly what I’m supposed to be seeing. All I see is hairs that are reflecting the colour of the light that are breaking down because they’re thin. It’s still a real-time render so all of the under-sampling issues apply. Potentially TAA problems as well. DOF and or chromatic aberration. There’s nothing in that demo that looks even remotely close to bad to me.

It looks amazing to me. The materials and lighting on the hair, skin and clothes are bonkers. The facial animation still seems a little off but it’s one of the best I’ve seen.

Back