Encyclopedia Brown & The Mysterious Case of the PS4 and the Missing Anisotropic Filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers

Legend
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-evolve-face-off

Evolve Face Off, 900P X1 1080 PS4. Mix of very high to high PC settings on the consoles mostly according to DF. Solid 30 FPS with some weird 300 ms stutter.

But, worse AF again on PS4.
8ubKF7H.png

blzl2hy.png

That's really interesting. Why is the PS4 having trouble? It doesn't cost that much in framerate if I ramp up the AF on a pc game like Crysis.

Evolve Face Off, 900P X1 1080 PS4. Mix of very high to high PC settings on the consoles mostly according to DF. Solid 30 FPS with some weird 300 ms stutter.
TCP packet drops or something if they're talking about online. Maybe the motion tweening was accidentally borked and will be patched?

Why don't we have an explanation for the missing AF in PS4 games yet?

Did any dev ever commented on this? Is it hardware or software related?

What about AF in The Order for instance?

Why don't we have an explanation for the missing AF in PS4 games yet?

Did any dev ever commented on this? Is it hardware or software related?

What about AF in The Order for instance?

Most of the 1rst party game will have AF. After I remember after Thief programmer of the ICE Team said on twitter there is no reason to not have AF on a PS4.

The PS4 can do it. There are multiplatform games that do it on PS4, even games developed alongside PC/DX versions.

It has to be a performance thing. Surely...?

It must be a performance thing. I'm looking at the DF video, and besides AF, they are missing a bunch of environmental shadows:
Link to the video :

Very noticeable missing shadows at:
1:07 (no self casting shadow on monster)
1:16 (rails barrels etc)
1:28 (tree)
3:41 (no self casting shadow on monster)
AF problems very noticeable at
2:58

Last edited:
But Evolve on PS4 has also better resolution, slightly better performance and Higher quality ambient occlusion than the XB1 game so the performance reason is still not valid like it wasn't with Dying light which had also better resolution and better performance on PS4.

PS4 even with better res has some room to spare (in those 2 games at least) so why not use it to activate AF at low level like it's done on XB1?

By the way I laughed watching the DF comparative video. Almost only showing contrasted and lighted areas (it's a generaly very dark game), they slowed down the video speed, with the view towards the ground texture where the AF difference is easily noticeable...Good job as usual.

But Evolve on PS4 has also better resolution, slightly better performance and Higher quality ambient occlusion than the XB1 game so the performance reason is still not valid like it wasn't with Dying light which had also better resolution and better performance on PS4.

PS4 even with better res has some room to spare (in those 2 games at least) so why not use it to activate AF at low level like it's done on XB1?

By the way I laughed watching the DF comparative video. Almost only showing contrasted and lighted areas (it's a generaly very dark game), they slowed down the video speed, with the view towards the ground texture where the AF difference is easily noticeable...Good job as usual.

They aren't there, the shadows just aren't there. This isn't about being fooled by ambient occlusion, they not exist.. at all.

Haven't we already had this discussion?

Bf83Qjl.png

You tell me they deactivated AF on one ridiculously low quality oblique texture on a 2.5D game like Strider because of performance reason? Seriously?

The discussion keeps happening because PS4 games with different engines from different developers keep shipping games with reduced or missing aniso.

Not sure what trying to make this discussion about Strider again will achieve.

We know the hardware can do aniso. We know multiplatform games can do aniso, even when developed alongside a D3D version. We know developers value aniso because they're sometimes using it in the Bon version. So why aren't they using it on PS4?

There is something going on, and Strider doesn't make this go away, or mean it's not happening.

Maybe AF is more developer dependent on the PS4, than XB1? Both PS4/XB1 have shi**y AF at times... GTA V being one of those games.

Anyhow, it doesn't seem to be a widespread of an issue with Sony's internal developers, nor most 3rd party developers. At the end of the day, both systems have their quirks and limitations. PCs as well... :yep2::nope::mrgreen:

I would guess this is a bug... not even the fence to the left is casting a shadow on PS4 (as the tree behind the player might be culled for performance reasons).

EDIT: Does this game have time of day?

EDIT2: Way to be disingenuous...

The subtitle to the pic above is:

Changing lighting and environmental conditions results in variable light and shadow positions across all three platforms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back