Embracer Studio Acquisitions and Divestitures

I don't know if the timeline matches up for this one, though. I guessed Epic earlier, but 2K is the publisher of Borderlands. Assuming they are happy with the sales of Borderlands and the Tiny Tina spin off game, they could be a suiter as well.
Yea for MS the timing may not work for this particular studio. The only thing I can think is if the ABK stuff wraps up this month. With the deals MS has made like letting Ubisoft have the rights for abk cloud licensing they might be willing to do the same with 2k and borderlands.

I suspect we're on a path where eventually only extremely large corporations or console hardware manufacturers will be able to afford to develope and produce AAA games.

Others like EA, Square-Enix, etc. will increasingly have to rely only on established IP that sells well and if any underperform significantly then they will be out of the market.

Regards,
SB

I suspect we're on a path where eventually only extremely large corporations or console hardware manufacturers will be able to afford to develope and produce AAA games.

Others like EA, Square-Enix, etc. will increasingly have to rely only on established IP that sells well and if any underperform significantly then they will be out of the market.

Regards,
SB

Or development has to be done smarter than it currently is. I'd wager we will see multiple games from a developer in parallel using largely the same asset work so that multiple games can be launched in quicker succession.

Or development has to be done smarter than it currently is. I'd wager we will see multiple games from a developer in parallel using largely the same asset work so that multiple games can be launched in quicker succession.
It's Duncan Croft, Lara's intrepid tomb-raiding cousin y'all.

ddj98do-03bc2a7e-e047-44d8-b4f8-ac03fc4680a6.png

Don't Embracer hold the Duke Nukem IP? I guess that means the chiseled brute isn't going to be kicking any alien ass any time soon.

Don't Embracer hold the Duke Nukem IP? I guess that means the chiseled brute isn't going to be kicking any alien ass any time soon.
Yeah, they own Gearbox and 3DReams. I guess more accurately, they own companies that own Gearbox and 3DRealms. Those Duke 1+2 remasters might end up as permanent Evercade exclusives.

It's Duncan Croft, Lara's intrepid tomb-raiding cousin y'all.

ddj98do-03bc2a7e-e047-44d8-b4f8-ac03fc4680a6.png
lol, I mean if you make a stone wall in tomb raider do you need to make a whole new one for deus ex ? If you make a pistol for laura can it not be used in another game?

Nah, I think asset re-use is okay so long as it's not obvious cut and paste.
I don't even care if it is. Buildings are made out of bricks that look the same in real life. I see several cars of the same make and model on my way to work everyday. Real life is an asset flip, so why would our video game representations of real life things be any different? It doesn't make sense to pay people to model and texture municipal trash cans for every game set in New York City when someone has already done a fine job at that, so either re-using a stock in house asset or purchasing one from an asset library is a fine choice.

Back