eMachines eM250 Netbook for $228!

AzBat

Agent of the Bat
Legend
Bought my 2nd PC in the past 3 years. This time it's for the wife & it's not meant as a desktop replacement. For $228(special at Walmart today) there was no way I could pass it up. Even if it has Windows 7 Starter. Can't believe they're getting this cheap now. Anyway, here's the specs for the techies...

Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60GHz
Mobile Intel 945GSE Express Chipset
1GB DD2 533/667 MHz SDRAM
10.1" LCD
2.5" Seagate 250gb Hard Drive (ST9250315AS)
Webcam (640x480)
Ethernet
Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
Multi-card memory reader (SD, MMC, MS, MS Pro, xD)
3 USB 2.0 Ports
External VGA
Microphone, headphone jacks
3 cell Li-Ion battery 11.1v 24.4W 2200mAh - 3.15 hours life
multi-touch touchpad
easy access Wi-Fi on/off switch

BTW, there is a note in the manual about one version of this netbook that has a 3G SIM card slot. That would have been cool.

Anyway, other than the inclusion of Win7 Starter, there's not many complaints I've had so far. Would have been nice if it had a sleeve though, but understand why it didn't. I'll have to play with it alot more in the next week. I should find enough faults by then. LOL

Tommy McClain

Probably good in the sense that it'll make it notably easier to find a bigger battery or other accessories at reasonable prices. Acer seems to be using the Gateway/eMachines and Packard Bell brands for most of their "value" and "chain B&M" products these days.

Yeah, I'm finding that out. Must have missed the news about Acer owning those other brands. Wow.

Tommy McClain

The Acer AOD250 is *the* netbook standard out there IMO right now, so don't sweat it at all. I own an AOA150 and love it; bought a 1410 I haven't opened yet, and wondering whether I will keep it or I won't. That's where CES comes in. But for you at $228, no regrets in my book.

The Acer AOD250 is *the* netbook standard out there IMO right now, so don't sweat it at all. I own an AOA150 and love it; bought a 1410 I haven't opened yet, and wondering whether I will keep it or I won't. That's where CES comes in. But for you at $228, no regrets in my book.

Yeah, I'm not regretting it at all so far. Other than Win7 Starter, here are my other 3 complaints...

1) 3-cell 3.5hr Li-Ion battery. All the AD250 models I've seen so far that have a 250gb hard drive, have a 6-cell 8hr battery pack instead. I'll eventually have to buy another battery pack, but for now it's fine.

2)No recovery disks. They have software installed that will let you create them yourself, but you have to have an external DVD writer to do it. And it looks like you can get them from eMachines online, but will cost a maximum of $20. Unfortunately it so new that even the website says they won't be available for 2 weeks.

3) No case/sleeve. I can still buy the exact color & style I want. Looking at hard shell/neoprene combo at the moment. So depending on how you look at it, it might be a positive. LOL

Even with those 3 complaints, they are not major at all. All the positives out weigh them by a long shot. If anybody is interested in a netbook I highly recommend one. Our Walmart still had a few left. I think the $228 price is good till New Years.

Tommy McClain

Back