Ecstasy 'reverses' Parkinson's disease

bloodbob

Trollipop
Veteran
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16154471-13762,00.html
Ecstasy 'reverses' Parkinson's disease

August 05, 2005

AMPHETAMINES, including the party drug ecstasy, reverse the effects of Parkinson's disease in mice, US researchers have found.

The research did not suggest the use of such drugs to treat the incurable brain disease, but might offer a way to help patients, they said yesterday. The study, at Duke University in North Carolina, treated mice that were genetically modified to suffer from Parkinson's-like symptoms with more than 60 types of amphetamines.

Fourteen of the drugs helped reverse the symptoms, including the tremors and rigidity that mark the disease, raising the possibility of exploring related treatments for humans.
Yay for evil drugs the destroy your mind.
Bah can someone move this to general I posted in wrong forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
bloodbob said:

There's a good reason the doctor's aren't recommending it for treatment:

meth-junkie.jpg

I think the difference in the photos is probably due more to living condition ect then a direct effect of the substances. You probably also missed the part where it says that doctors are already prescribing amphetamines to children and the US air force is still prescribing to combat fatigue.

Of course Meth and ecstasy are two separate drugs, but X does have a problem with random people dropping dead of heart attacks or screwing your liver up beyond belief if you drink alchohol at the same time.

bloodbob said:
I think the difference in the photos is probably due more to living condition ect then a direct effect of the substances. You probably also missed the part where it says that doctors are already prescribing amphetamines to children and the US air force is still prescribing to combat fatigue.
There is a world of difference between amphetamines and meth.

RussSchultz said:
Of course Meth and ecstasy are two separate drugs, but X does have a problem with random people dropping dead of heart attacks or screwing your liver up beyond belief if you drink alchohol at the same time.
I'm pretty sure the heart attack at reasonable doses is wrong ( even at recreational doses ).

About the liver I don't its quite possible then again which would you prefer to have parkinson's and be able to have a few beers on the weekend or not have parkinson's?

http://www.thestressoflife.com/ecstasy_can_trigger_heart_attack.htm
The man reported that prior to experiencing these symptoms he drank a bottle of whisky and taken half of a pill of MDMA. He was diagnosed and treated in the emergency department for acute myocardial infarction as a result of MDMA use. This is only the second case reported showing evidence that MDMA can cause heart attacks similar to those caused by amphetamines, according to the report's authors. (Methylene 3, 4 Dioxy-Methamphetamine-Induced Acute Myocardial Infarction, p. 759)

So in generally while there might be a handful of cases its unlikely. I'm sure drinking 1/2 a botle of whiskey contributed and he probably had a predisposition to heart disease.

I'd prefer they take the knowledge gained that the chemical makeup of ecstasy has efficacy treating Parkinsons and do further research (you know, by those evil drug companies) to get a drug that doesn't make gramma wanna hump everything in sight.

Which reminds me of a joke about a prostitute with Parkinsons...

Well that isn't gonna happen its because of the dopamine released in the brain that reduce the symptoms and its also the dopamine which increases sex drives. Then again grandma probably only has low sex drive because of the Parkisnson's.

RussSchultz said:
I'd prefer they take the knowledge gained that the chemical makeup of ecstasy has efficacy treating Parkinsons and do further research (you know, by those evil drug companies) to get a drug that doesn't make gramma wanna hump everything in sight.
Ecstasy doesn't want to make you hump everything in site it just makes you feel good about yourself, happy and friendly to those around you. There's a lot more than Parkinson victims that could do with an occasional dose...

It's also generally a very safe drug - more people will die of alergic reactions to penicilin than will drop dead after taking ecstasy. A recent UN report showed that around 750,000 people regularly took it in Britain, yet there aren't mass fatalties. The idea that it makes you look like the prostitute in that mug-shot is totall ridiculous - totally different drug and environment. It's also not physically addictive and cheap (you probably save money taking E and going out since you spend much less on alcohol!).

There are, though, serious questions over prolonged long-term usage that need to be looked at. However, I don't think this would concern people with Parkinsons too much.

Parkinson symptoms are - from what I understand - caused by a lack of dopamine in the brain. Amphetamines boost dopamine output to give the effect the drug has on the patient, and hence, reverses the symptoms of the patient.

It doesn't treat the CAUSE though - that a plaque forms around nerve cells and shorts them out/kills them. It only treats the SYMPTOMS.

Also, amphetamines slowly WEARS OUT the brain's dopamine-production capabilities (due to the cells being artificially stimulated to go into overproduction, I suppose), causing lifelong depression etc after prolonged use.

Now, I guess that's not much of a problem in the elderly. Still, this isn't a parkinson cure. It's just a convenient mask to put on to hide the disease.

_xxx_ said:
"XTC reverses Parkinson" - I think many people will be very extatic about this news...

heh.... this means i wont get Parkinsons ;-) (i think there is nuff leftovers from my university days in my system to protect me for next 250 years)

Guden Oden said:
It doesn't treat the CAUSE though - that a plaque forms around nerve cells and shorts them out/kills them. It only treats the SYMPTOMS.
Curry, OTOH, may help cure the problem..... at least some recent research has found that a chemical in tumeric has that effect. Whether eating curries actually helps hasn't be established, but it certainly gives me an excuse to eat them :)

I'll stick with curry tofu recipes, none of that x for me (but if the girls around me want to take it.... ;) )

Crusher said:

meth-junkie.jpg

Sarah Conner, you are coming with me. Your delinquent child is vital to winning the war against the machines, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

Crusher said:

(...)

i hate to say it but yeah its true. those pics are not JUST a factor of the environment (partially, I'm sure, but I'd say also very much of the drug) because of what happened to a vety close friend of mine after a few months of chain-smoking meth. she used to be beautiful and whenever i look at her I see who she used to be... but when I really look and compare, she's nothing like she used to be. Even worse is her personality- she used to be a wonderful, loving, warm-hearted person. Now, she's nothing more than an empty shell.

RussSchultz said:
Apparently this is the progression of meth

that almost made me cry because I've seen that blank, soul-less stare before. in someone i really love.

she is off of it... for now

edit:
and that first picture also looks just a whole lot like her... at 19 years old

edit2:
her at 16...

edit THREE (last one)
she only smoked it for a few months, although she was damn near chain-smoking it. would be on it for 4-5 days, then sleep for 2-3, then stay high for another 4-5...

Attachments

• Amanda.jpg
    Amanda.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 59
Back