Echochrome and Sixaxis

betan

Veteran
Demo is available on Japanese PSN, and core game mechanics is fantastic. I haven't noticed any ambiguities or problems mentioned in one of the previews (admittedly levels were few and simple in the demo).

Of course its real value will be defined by official levels and user created content, but PS3 version has somewhat unique Sixaxis controls that I have been hoping to see for a long time.

You use tilt sensors to turn the level almost like a mouse: Hold L1 (put mouse on mousepad), rotate (move the mouse), release L1 (raise the mouse), rotate (move) and repeat this cycle.
As a result it's extremely fast (way faster than d-pad even with accelerate button R1, and more accurate than sticks at least for me). Possibly the first game for which players with best records will be using motion sensing functionality.

The game also shows the angular limits of tilt sensing on Sixaxis.
It seems a little shaky (probably too much noise from sensors) in the beginning but a few moments later it gets smoother (autocalibration on noise reduction I assume).

Again, I have been waiting for an FPS to try this rotational mouse (Insomniac hear me).

hmm, the sixaxis is extremely fast, but I can only turn about 60~90degrees in all directions. I'm having trouble trying to turn a 180 and have to rely on the analog to do that. However, accuracy is great. I'd actually use R1 to grab the correct positions though :p

hmm, the sixaxis is extremely fast, but I can only turn about 60~90degrees in all directions. I'm having trouble trying to turn a 180 and have to rely on the analog to do that.
In order to turn more than ~90 degrees, you need to release L1, rotate controller back, hold L1 and rotate again (while holding), as one would do with a mouse when run out of space on the mousepad.

Hmmm. I just gave it a shot. I didn't like it.

The puzzles themselves were not intellectually challenging just a dexterity challenge. The graphics really bored me more than I expected even just after a few levels. And I didn't really like the sixaxis controls.

Oh well. I really liked Crush on the PSP. So maybe that game spoiled this genre for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried it...
I like the sixaxis support, thanks for the tips betan.
A retry option would of been nice (Maybe there is, but I cant read Japanese)
And its only a demo...

Hmmm. I just gave it a shot. I didn't like it.

The puzzles themselves were not intellectually challenging just a dexterity challenge. The graphics really bored me more than I expected even just after a few levels. And I didn't really like the sixaxis controls.
Well the demo is surely not an intellectual challenge but how is it a dexterity one, with pause/thinking mode and no visible time-limit?
Just tried it...
I like the sixaxis support, thanks for the tips betan.
My pleasure. :)
A retry option would of been nice (Maybe there is, but I cant read Japanese)
Yeah, an accessible retry, sixaxis inversion and R1 L1 swap options would be nice.

Back