eax dll files and GTA SA

I have the following well-known problem with GTA SA:
When it rains or the heat effect is active, my sound crackles.
I have an Audigy2 soundcard.
Now before I completely wreck my system with the installation of older drivers (currently, I have the newest ones installed), I would greatly appreciate the following:

Do you have GTA SA installed?
Do you have an Audigy2 soundcard
Your sound does NOT crackle in the situations mentioned above

If you can answer all those questions with yes, please send my your eax.dll and eaxac3.dll files. Contact me in the thread or per PM

Btw: Decreasing sound acceleration did NOT help my problem at all.

Thank you very much in advance
Greets boxleitnerb

Edit: Thx digitalwanderer for the note. I dont exactly know what the difference is between the ZS and the non-ZS version. I would prefer files of the ZS version, but people who only have the vanilla Audigy2 could lose a word or two as well on their experiences :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The patch fixes this specific issue, and the missing-sounds-while-raining issue, but breaks most mod support. Have you tried it?

http://www.gamershell.com/download_10219.shtml

*edit* http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=195220

This thread also provides many possible solutions, such as downgrading your EAX dll to a previous version that apparently makes a significant difference.

*doube-edit* I was previously using an Audigy LS, had the same crackling/vanishing sounds, originally reverting to the earlier EAX dll did prevent the issue from occuring EVERY time it rained, buit in the end the patch cleared everything right up. Having done upgrading since I was running that card, and now running a fresh unpatched install of GTA SA on my Audigy 2 ZS, I get no sound issues...this could possibly be due to Audigy 2 drivers being different to Audigy LS drivers, perhaps something has been fixed at some stage by creative...uh, if any of that made any sense :p

Guess what thread came up when I googled to fix this problem that cropped up since I switched from an Audigy2 to an Audigy2 ZS... :LOL:

Thanks for the links. :)

i have gtsa
i have no crackles
but only an audigy 1
any help ?

ps: do you have the latest openal installed ?

pps: eax dll is also used by stalkker, riddick, infernal, chrome specforce, max payne 2
do you have any of those ?

eaxac3.dll version 1.1.2.0
eax.dll 4.0.0.1(gta-sa)
4.0.0.0 (riddick)
3.0.1.0 (max2)
0.0.0.1 (summoner)

any of them any good to ya

I'm using the 3.0.6.6 one that was recommended in the links above, but it didn't fix the problem.

I'll keep trying, it's sort of fun to have a problem like this again to hunt down/research/fix...it's been a while for me. :)

Thanks for the eax.dll info, I have some of them and will try their .dlls as well as get the latest OpenAL.

Back