Eat Sleep Play (Interview)

Gradthrawn

Veteran
Interview with Jaffe and Campbell, founders of Eat Sleep Play. Covers a wide variety of topics. God of War 3, platform exclusivity, future projects, closing studios, among others. Interesting tidbit:

Again, Scott had plenty to say concerning this topic, but it's stuff they wish to keep under wraps right now. We can tell you a few things he said: first of all, they're using the Warhawk engine as the basis for the game. This makes sense, of course, as Warhawk was an Incognito title.

I wasn't aware that this degree of code sharing went on amongst developers. Particularly between 1st and 3rd parties. Then again this may be a special case due to the nature of their current business relationship (SCEA and ESP). Regardless, I'm glad to see that engine being put to use for something else. It, and the artwork supporting in, in Warhawk have aged quite well, IMO.

EDIT

It occurred to me that "using the Warhawk engine" is ambiguous, and could mean a plethora of things. I'm thinking along the lines of how developers currently use the Unreal Engine (or at least, as I understand how they use it). Some clarification on that would be nice. Specifically as to what part of the "engine" they're using. I wonder if they're using the netcode. With them saying they're using the Warhawk engine I immediately think of a network focused game, but that's not necessarily the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. That was a good interview.

I agree with your thoughts concerning the netcode. I looked at ESP's jobs section and they are hiring for an online gaming software engineer. Also with the fact they were looking to do a PSN release (or BR still up in the air), I believe it very well could be network "only" type of action game :smile:

Jaffe said in the past that they were working on a new Twisted Metal game so that's probably what they are talking about.

Jaffe said in the past that they were working on a new Twisted Metal game so that's probably what they are talking about.

Very easy to see a new Twisted Metal* game running on Warhawk engine. Driving Warhawks Jeeps is sometimes like TM death match arena feeling.

Yes, but the interview has Jaffe talking about owning his own IPs as it's more lucrative, the whole reason for going independent. If they don't own the Twisted Metal IP, I can't see their next project being TM, at least not in name and characters.

Why did I post this in the Console Games section? For the life of me I can't remember why. :LOL: I think I was thinking God of War III, for some reason.

Yes, but the interview has Jaffe talking about owning his own IPs as it's more lucrative, the whole reason for going independent. If they don't own the Twisted Metal IP, I can't see their next project being TM, at least not in name and characters.

With the interview being all over the place (which I actually liked that), I think maybe he was speaking about that in more general terms. They (ESP) will probably own some of the IPs for the projects they put out, but that may very well be separate from their deal with SCEA. The SCEA deal could be to simply get them on their feet (and provide funding during these turbulent economic times), so that they can be in a position to own their own IPs. Anyone know who Calling All Cars belongs to?

I'm hoping they (PSXExtreme) post the unabridged interview at some point, with all the stuff deemed OT, and the stuff they agreed to save for later.

I would love to see a Twisted Metal using the Warhawk engine, only because the Warhawk engine works so wonderfully with 4 player split screen.

Honestly, if they made a 16 player Twisted Metal with some large scale environments (well, large enough to have some fun in with big jumps) I would go bananas.

I'm not sure what the point of the interview is, they still haven't announced their game, and in the end what really matters is NOT Jaffe or Campbell, but the game they're making.

Back