EA to Skip E3 this year 2019 in favour of EA Play

if you have announcements to make, but no press conference, but you want attention on your titles for 2019/2020 - but you don't want to pay for the conference space - Where would you put it?

On YouTube :v

As I stated in the Sony E3 [no-show] thread, E3 doesn't carry the same impact it once had in the 90s or early 2000's. With all the social media and streaming sites (YouTube, Twitch, etc.) including all the specialized events by Sony, MS, Nintendo, and game developers... E3 is just somewhat of a relic within the IoT world of today.

Some next gen EA vertical slices might pop up at Microsoft's conference tho, EA is smarter than you guys think.

Some next gen EA vertical slices might pop up at Microsoft's conference tho, EA is smarter than you guys think.
Which more or less is what I was trying to get at.
I get that everyone thinks youtube and streaming works, but not every studio has the same good will capital as others. Nintendo can get away with anything with their crowd, their prices never change, and they never compete on performance. Their fans just love their 1st party titles and don't really look for much else. Sony will return when they are ready. Leaving MS as the remaining large stage if your title has multi-millions invested into it, you're going to give it the best viewer ship possible by announcing at the largest press conference this E3.

TLDR; your studio invested 100+ Million on a title. Don't get all cute and shit and just do a youtube release. If the title fails to hit expected sales, shareholders will fire the CEO outright because they didn't announce it on a large stage where all industry eyes will be for 2019, I'm not even sure what the expected savings will be for not announcing a marketing partnership and putting that title on the big stage. Why wouldn't you want to ride the hype that you aren't paying for. I dunno, perhaps I'm losing my mind. But i can't see multi-million dollar investments of new IPs or big additions to existing ones not getting support.

Last edited:
Which more or less is what I was trying to get at.
I get that everyone thinks youtube and streaming works, but not every studio has the same good will capital as others. Nintendo can get away with anything with their crowd, their prices never change, and they never compete on performance. Their fans just love their 1st party titles and don't really look for much else. Sony will return when they are ready. Leaving MS as the remaining large stage if your title has multi-millions invested into it, you're going to give it the best viewer ship possible by announcing at the largest press conference this E3.

TLDR; your studio invested 100+ Million on a title. Don't get all cute and shit and just do a youtube release. If the title fails to hit expected sales, shareholders will fire the CEO outright because they didn't announce it on a large stage where all industry eyes will be for 2019, I'm not even sure what the expected savings will be for not announcing a marketing partnership and putting that title on the big stage.
True, the amount of exposure you get from a press conference can not be easily understated. I guess all eyes on MS this June.

Leaving MS as the remaining large stage if your title has multi-millions invested into it, you're going to give it the best viewer ship possible by announcing at the largest press conference this E3.

Microsoft shows off goods and wares at E3, thousands of fans and gaming press shows-up, streamed live worldwide, get's international press coverage, social media raves (or not) about goods and wares, hundreds of YouTube videos are made surrounding the conference.

Sony shows off goods and wares at rented large venue, thousands fans and gaming press shows-up, streamed live worldwide, get's international press coverage, social media raves (or not) about goods and wares, hundreds of YouTube videos are made surrounding the conference.

Other than not competing with each other directly at one event, it gives gamers and the gaming-press more time on enjoying the shows presentations, products and services at both events. IMHO, seems like a win-win for both.

Microsoft shows off goods and wares at E3, thousands of fans and gaming press shows-up, streamed live worldwide, get's international press coverage, social media raves (or not) about goods and wares, hundreds of YouTube videos are made surrounding the conference.

Sony shows off goods and wares at rented large venue, thousands fans and gaming press shows-up, streamed live worldwide, get's international press coverage, social media raves (or not) about goods and wares, hundreds of YouTube videos are made surrounding the conference.

Other than not competing with each other directly at one event, it gives gamers and the gaming-press more time on enjoying the shows presentations, products and services at both events. IMHO, seems like a win-win for both.
For me I'm just against the idea that E3 press conferences are useless. That's all, I think a lot of people are looking at some really strong IPs that have huge goodwill already and they can practicality do gang busters if they sold next week; and getting that confused with anyone being able to do it.

These are games that were not announced at a press conference this year and went purely the youtube route.
Please check the amount of views:

The Sinking City: (even as much as it is marketed by PS, shown on IGN etc etc) I'ts not getting anywhere close to the views we see for trailers presented on E3 stages.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sinking+city+e3

^^ and there are a lot with the biggest one being presented by Sony below at 700K

Control is also doing slightly better than The Sinking City at 1M+ views and it got announced at Sony's conference. Goes to show how hard it is to get noticed.

So anyway, I think this idea that E3 can piss off because of youtube, is imo, not fully baked yet. If we left a lot of titles to organic promotions and word of mouth, most studios would die, and given their investments, this would be a tragedy.

If Sony were to hold a press conference at some date and some venue, very advertised, press invited, and they show games, would they be less viewed than if that same press conference was held at E3?

Same with EA?

If Sony were to hold a press conference at some date and some venue, very advertised, press invited, and they show games, would they be less viewed than if that same press conference was held at E3?

Same with EA?

Doubt it. Sony and EA are so well established in gaming that any live or streaming pressers would be internationally covered, and watched by millions of viewers (live, streamed, recorded, etc.).

Same with EA?
They would still be viewed and do very well I think, at the very least, vastly better than a pure youtube strategy (you are at the whim of the youtube algorithm)
E3 being the junction of multiple conferences may increase the viewership more than a isolated conference, because the expectations are higher and thus more people are waiting and reporting on the biggest announcements around that time.

There might be a small correlation that being around E3 the venue as to leading to more success, vs. the releasing your announcements during E3 (the second best thing you can do)

A lot of companies have talked about being overshadowed by competitor news etc. And there is probably a strong case for that, and they likely have data points to suggest this. But the largest number of written articles/media about games during E3 is probably unmatched at any other time of the year; and this is likely because as a media company, it's most efficient to send writers to write/video as much as possible during E3. As a games website, you're going to get the most hits because you've got all the content from as many sources as possible all at once. Advertising is at it's highest payout when your traffic is at it's highest. So E3 is a bit of a 'Super Bowl' effect for gaming websites and advertising.

Whereas separate events it might be costly to send a journalist here and then next month over there and next over there, Xbox may not care to advertise on sites during a Sony press conference. But may try to overpay sites to dominate during E3.

Last edited:

Sure, but then you see press coverage generated by a new trailer for a much anticipated game dropping on YouTube in 2018 like God of War, Spider-Man and RDR2, all of which got insane amounts of press coverage including in non-gaming media from new trailers or footage - and enjoyed coverage longer because of less competition.

I don't know how many podcasts you listen to, but the ones I ones I do paint a different story of E3 by the people who cover it. E3 is the equivalent of 3-4 months press coverage condensed into five days; what used to be three official press event days plus conferences that start on the weekend prior, but now it's down to two (IIRC) official press days. You're not getting good quality press coverage from E3, every site is simply regurgitating the same pre-prepared PR material. Interviews are staged or heavily managed by PR people. The press people are rushing about, frazzled.

Events like this, EGX, GamesCom are great for the public. I get along to EGX when I can.

That's a pretty big 'other than'. Anything somebody announces, unless it is earth-shattering, is going to be the centre of attention for anywhere between 60 seconds and maybe a few hours before something else is announced that garners everyone's attention and knocks your story down any gaming web page. The volume of coverage of E3 is also going to be more than casuals will consume. And casuals are by far the biggest number of portion gamers.

In Government Press Office, they refer to media days like E3 goods days to bury bad news because very people can keep up with it all. You just can't if you have a full time job or other full-time commitments, a family etc. It's too much.

Back