EA plans for launch pre-built PCs in conjunction with the release of Crysis Warhead

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Galduta, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Galduta

Veteran

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=14638

2. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

Interesting idea, but very few baseline PC customers will fall for such an idea. Gamers or people interesting in PC gaming though I think are somewhat a shot. Honestly though I think and hope EA just doesn't push Crysis Warhead for them, but PC gaming in general, especially for the $600 one, as it should be affordable as well as a viable entertainment/gaming/media system, not just games.

3. slapnutz

Regular

Its kinda pointless since all people need is either a 4870 or gtx280 to play Crysis itself on High/VeryHigh at 19200x1200 playable. (no AA or Vsync)

Both thoese cards are cheaper than a $600 solution.

4. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

You're assuming they already have the other needed equipment as well with your statement. Processor, proper motherboard, proper memory amount, a good PSU, a quality cooling case are all really essential for those cards. These systems are not targeted towards people could just throw in another new video card upgrading from say a 8800 series card. It's for someone who say is still using a 6800 series card and wants a all inclusive system preconfigured for them to run the game they're looking at.

EA has a big enough push that this type of action could REALLY help the PC as a platform. If they can manage to do it properly (make money from the game, not from the hardware) then they could easily show that a $700 computer can be DAMN GOOD these days and that'd go a LONG way in helping the image of PC gaming. But, it's EA and they're scum so I have next to no hope with this.

5. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

EA selling really crappy PC's (preloaded with ads and/or spyware) to consumers could kill PC gaming. I really don't expect that EA is trying to help anyone but themselves, so I really expect pretty bad PC's for the money.

6. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

I wonder if they'll bundle one of those with the Collector's Edition.

Oh well, if EA doesn't have any other ideas to spend the marketing bucks...

7. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Where do I buy a "subway" monitor? :razz:

Now they should be able to offer good PC's with E8400 + HD4850/HD4870 and 4GB RAM. Such a PC will do very high at console resolutions or high at premium resolutions.

8. Fu3lFr3nzy

Regular

I expect the system spec to be something like:

Standard C2D
    2GB RAM
    160GB HDD
    400W PSU
    HD 4850(4870 if theyre feeling real gracious :razz: )

Though, seeing as Crytek has good relations with Nvidia, I would probably expect an 8800GT in there.

9. L233

Veteran

This could be a good thing, if EA doesn't get greedy and is smart about it (yeah, fat chance).

Looking at some US website, the cheapest PC that could be considering "gaming capable" from Dell is about $1200 and that's with a fucking ATI 3870 - and you have to have some knowledge of what constitutes a gaming PC in order to configure it correctly. HP isn't much better. And then we have these ridiculous specialized "Gaming PC" builders like Alienware and Falcon Whatever, who'll sell you mid-range PCs in ugly cases for $2000 - but hey, at least you'll get an oversized 750W PSU, a high-end SLI mainboard and a free assrape with your mid-range hardware.

I don't know whether there are any smaller PC builders in the USA which let you customize a sensible gaming PC. There are a few in Germany but that isn't really all that helpful. If you know enough to properly configure a gaming PC, you can most likely build it yourself. So the BTO-stuff is more about convenience.

What the market needs is a retail brand of affordable, sensibly configured gaming PCs that people can buy off the shelf at WalMart etc. while being confident that they've bought something that will allow them to play all games reasonably well for the next 3 or so years. I'd say $750 tops without monitor.

Fujitsu actually tried something like that a couple of years ago in Europe with their "T-Bird" brand of pre-built PCs. They failed, mainly because they were too expensive and because they updated their products far too infrequently.

It'll be interesting to see if this EA Crysis PC thing will work. It's not a bad idea, actually. Maybe publishers should form a joint-venture or something for establishing and promoting a gaming PC retail brand. It wouldn't even have to make a profit, just cover the costs of operation.

#9 L233, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  10. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Crysis Warhead will feature 4 graphic settings levels, 3 of them are Mainstream (medium), Gamer (high), Enthusiast (very high). This sounds like its inline with the 'Crysis Warhead certified' PC lineup EA will offer. :smile:

11. cloudscapes

Regular

somehow, I won't be completelly floored if it's revealed that the very highest setting, (or a certain feature if the highest demands too much) will be available only on these custom PCs.

12. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

that would be totally ridiculous but I also wouldn't be floored if it happened. Fortunately for us if it did happen it would get hacked it a matter of days.

13. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

That will never happen. It would totally obliterate sales of the game.

14. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

All effects will be available for all. You will even be able to set the settings to enthusiast (very high) in DX9/WinXP SP2 ingame. Dunno about object-motionblur though. :smile:

15. CouldntResist

Regular

Will these PCs play unskippable "Challenge Everything" logo on each boot?

16. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

:grin:

Put -devmode in your shorcut and then r_displayinfo 0 in autoexec.cfg file and then you can escape all videos! [​IMG]

17. Fox5

Veteran

You know, I'm not sure about voodoopc and the rest, but the entry level alienware computers are reasonable and don't charge much of a price premium over assembling if yourself. I think their entry computer is around $1200, and is about worth that cost in the parts.

18. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

You can build a better computer for about $300 less, significantly better at that. They really gimp on parts such as the hard drive, I mean 250GB in a $1,200 computer? Not good. A 9800GT when you can get a HD4850 for $170~. Etc, the full parts list I made quickly also includes the OS, and you can still stay under their price and grab a 22" monitor. If i would have spent more than 5 minutes at Newegg I could have found even better parts for the price.

19. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Their entry system isn't a very smart build for parts if you were doing it yourself. You could build a faster system for less. You don't really need a 680i board or a 750watt PSU unless you actually want SLi. And clicking on any upgrade options is just a ripoff ($170 upgrade to e8500, $550 upgrade for gtx280...) .

20. L233

Veteran

OK, I used one of the smaller BTO PC retailers here and customized a €800 PC. For that price I got a C2D E8400, 4GB RAM, a GTX 260, a GigaByte P35 board and a 500 GB HDD. The rest of the components is also good (Coolermaster Centurion Case, Corsair 550W PSU, DVD writer etc.). Plus, a copy of Vista 64 Home premium.

I tried to replicate something comparable to that €800 PC on Alienware's German website and it adds up to €1300. That's a 60% mark-up. Sure, some if it is the oversized PSU and the SLI mainboard but that stuff really has no place in a mid-range PC.

Even if I upgrade to Alienware standards (like an Antex P180 case, a Corsair 750W PSU and an SLI mainboard), it's still overpriced by about 40%.

The US prices are hardly better. $1100 buys you a AMD X2 5200+, 2 GB RAM, a 250 GB HDD and a frigging 9600GT. That's essentially a low-end PC. It's a joke. So yeah, I remain convinced that PC builders like Alienware are part of the problem.