EA causes further casualties: Sony axes sports games!

Only football and basketball, it seems--I guess they're behind the times. Frankly, I forgot Sony DID continue to make their own sports titles. :p

I've never liked EA's sports games myself. Konami have always been by far the best at reproducing my favourite sport in videogame form (by far is a massive understatement BTW).

They are just moving thier sports games to to the next console. I really don't see how this has anyhting to do with "EA pressure".

Does Sony even make sports games? :D

Konami makes the only sports game I care about.

Here´s a hint, FIFA is still light years behind it.;)

marconelly! said:
Speedball was awesome! I can only say.... "Ice-Cream".... "Ice-Cream"...
"Ice cream" was from Speedball 2. Which was even more awesomest :)

hehe yeah now that you mention it, it was part 2. Gees the memories... :D

It was just so cool to hear the ice cream guy calling out when ever there was a guy smashed KO on the field... certainly had elements that were way beyond other sports games at the time (like the ability to throw the ball into this tube and then came out hot so the oponent couldn't hold it for a short time).... It would be great to see some of these classics back.

Heck, I should get out my Amiga 2000. I still have hundreds of diskette's with games and programs (ranging from "Emerald Minds" to "Desert Strike" onto many others that I just can't remember what their name was. o_O

EDIT:
Almost forgot my favorite game of all time: "Lotus Challenge" by Gremlin. That game had quite an impact, made me the die-hard Lotus fan I still am today. Hehe... 8)

Talk about a thread taking a giant left turn, hahaa... Not that I mind though, Speedball was a cool game.

Still surprised to hear EAs football games suck though (the REAL kind of football I mean, the kind enjoyed by a couple billion people or so), I remember Konami regularly waxing EA's bottom on the N64. Would have thought they'd wisened up somewhat since, but most sports games do seem stuck in a rut since many years so maybe it's not so strange after all. There's hardly any difference between each successive generation.

ChryZ said:
Speedball 2 ... I love that game, wasn't there a remake on the "this-gen"-radar?

How about a GBA SP version or a Pocket PC version?

http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/our-games/future/speedball2gba/index.htm
http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/our-games/present/speedball2pocket/index.htm

Speedball Arena looks to have vanished though

http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/downloads/images/speedball-arena/

Personally i think i would prefer a looking down from the top game in style with the old games, just done with 3D graphics instead so you could sense the depth. The 3D engine could be used for replays where you saw the actual action up close and from different angles.

Brutal Deluxe 4Ever!

Almasy said:
Does Sony even make sports games? :D

Konami makes the only sports game I care about.

Here´s a hint, FIFA is still light years behind it.;)

Oh come on!! give the guys some credit!! they spend millions in advertising, u dont expect they can afford to make good games do u!!! :LOL: Just kidding, they have made some cool games in the past... just not good FIFAs for 10 years

I still don't understand EA's relocalisation tactic of bought over development studios. Not everyone will be willing to move to another area, so there will mostly be a decrease in production quality IMHO.

There's no point in buying a dev studio if they lose the people it consists of by forcing them to move; after all, the people IS the studio. The computers, software etc, it's all inconsequential and can be easily replaced, while talent cannot.

Back