E really does equal mc^2

ninelven said:
More like mg^2, but it will prolly be another 50 years before they figure that out...
Umm, huh? If you by 'g' mean the Earth's gravity acceleration (9.8 m/s^2) then the units don't add up. If you're thinking about gravitational potential energy, then the formula has been E=mgh ever since Newton's days.

LeGreg said:
It could have been rewritten to E=m with the right choice of units.
Ahhh, Planck units. These are used a bit in cosmology, and unlike joules, meters etc, they don't depend on arbitrary measures devised by human beings.

That guy was brillant beyond strange. The strangest thing of all is . How many of these guys were born around the same time. For give my spelling but a lot of Tesslers stuff is still top secret.

arjan de lumens said:
Umm, huh? If you by 'g' mean the Earth's gravity acceleration (9.8 m/s^2) then the units don't add up. If you're thinking about gravitational potential energy, then the formula has been E=mgh ever since Newton's days.
I meant neither. ;)

arjan de lumens said:
Ahhh, Planck units. These are used a bit in cosmology, and unlike joules, meters etc, they don't depend on arbitrary measures devised by human beings.
They're used in most of physics, actually. They're just damned convenient.

Oh, God. These stupid things pop up all over the place. Special relativity is indeed self-consistent and has been measured to a fantastic degree of accuracy (through measuring the absoluteness of the speed of light, and measuring the electromagnetic interaction). The statement that the theory of special relativity is incorrect is just plain absurd today.

Special relativity isn't complete, of course, but that's not the same as saying it's not correct.

Ah, well, the speed of gravity is typically assumed to be the speed of light, so we just use c. There are, of course, experiments conducted to attempt to measure that the speed of gravity is indeed c, but they are rather hard to do.

ninelven said:
I guess you didn't actually read the links.... oh well.
No, I've known about the experiment in question for some time. And the second link is very questionable. Most particularly, it would be hard to reconcile with quantum mechanics.

Of course, in the end, it doesn't really matter much, because the relative velocities of macroscopic objects in relatively close proximity are always so much lower than the speed of light as to make the propagation speed of gravity pretty much irrelevant: it's only interesting as a way to understand the nature of gravity. So it's good that people are attempting to devise experiments to measure the speed of gravity. But it's going to be a while before we get any good measurements, just because it's such a challenging thing to measure.

That said, astronomical data has been doubling pretty much every year for a while now, so it's conceivable that it won't be that long.

Perhaps you should email the guy then; his address is at the top of the page. I'm sure he would like the feedback.

arjan de lumens said:

Ahem, only if you accept that 1 + 1 always equals 2 everywhere in the universe, which if going by the scientific method is only a theory and never a certainty, as such even Planck units are inherently anthropologic because they are derived from human experience.

1 + 1 has to equal 2. If it does not then having definitions for things would be entirely stupid, mean our lives are pointless, and mean everything we have done is completely pointless. That's utterly bullshit if you think that. In order for 1 + 1 not to equal 2 you'd have to change the definition, which would be completely retarded, and brings up a favorite thing of mine: It always seems like the greatest "thinkers" are amazingly stupid and happen upon things by great chance, and even if they can solve the riddles of our existence couldnt figure out how to open the flaps on a damn cardboard box because they'd be spending to much time anazlying if it means the same to open the box here than over there, just plain RETARDED!

Back