Dysfunctional state of modern software

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by green.pixel, Jan 17, 2019.

1. green.pixel

Veteran

Good read about the dysfunctional, bloated state of modern software.

pharma and milk like this.
  2. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

had read this some time ago, and this got my attention. Totally right.

3. tuna

Veteran

We discussed this guy's whining in another thread.

BRiT likes this.
  4. Davros

Legend

He has a point, and the reason is time is now more valuable than cpu cycles and memory
    Us old timers remember hunting down different cdrom drivers because it freed up an extra 8k of conventional memory
    that doesnt happen any more.
    and if I was still programming I doubt I would be changing int to byte when possible to save 8bits

Cyan likes this.
  5. tuna

Veteran

Performance (however you measure it) matters for a lot of stuff. But instead of whining you can
    1) measure
    and
    2) use the stuff that satisfies your desired performance.

#5 tuna, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. milk

Veteran Regular

Are you guys seriously dissing this? Aren't we technology enthusiasts? Don't you agree 100% with all said in that post. Even if it is somewhat repeated, I think it actually hasn't been said enough. I absolutely hate how inneficient software is. I hate it that I have no choice but to buy a new phone and computer every 3 years if I just want to keep using it the same way I was before. This talking point is important and it's worth repeating as many times as it takes.

pharma and Cyan like this.
  7. tuna

Veteran

Why do you not use efficient software then?

8. tuna

Veteran

Why do you have to do that? Do you have a magical computer that becomes slower after 3 years?

9. milk

Veteran Regular

Yes. I had a old iMac that would get noticibly slower with every new OSX update. After I just stopped updating, some software couldn't update as well. Chrome and Safari for example. As those two were not updating anymore, some websites would not open anymore. Basic shit. It was not a 3 y.o. computer honestly. It was 8. Still. Google Maps and YouTube should still be able to open on a 8 years old iMac. At least in a basic manner.
    I think you underestimate the state of utter wrecklesness at which modern software development is at.

10. milk

Veteran Regular

I always try to go for the less inefficient options and still they aren't great. A browser that is not chrome will just not open a lot of pages correctly, for example. Try working with graphic design without using Industry's standard Adobe Software... Try living a normal life within modern society without Windows, OSX, Android, iOS, Chrome, Facebook, Windows, Gmail... It's an utter uphill battle.

11. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Its so easy to function without Facebook and iOS and OSX. More people should do so.

12. milk

Veteran Regular

Not so easy depending on what you work with and the circles you interact. People often use facbook/messenger as their main tool for communication, certain events ask you to post your name on their FB event Page's timeline to get a discount. Group projects are often posted on Google Drive. These are just some examples. This talk that you can go be a hermit and grow your own wheat is a lazy excuse to be lenient with the absurdity of modern software industry.
    EDIT: There are lots of things that are only done through Twitter and I miss out on because I don't wanna open an account there too.

13. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Dont be a sheeple. Its easy. Just make the choice.

14. milk

Veteran Regular

Yes, I'll tell a potential client: "no what's app, sorry, I'm not a sheeple like you. Just install Tor Messenger exclusively to talk to me. BRiT said it's easy.

15. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

You have a choice. It's not forced on you.

16. rcf

rcf
    Regular Newcomer

The author isn't just talking about bloat and lack of performance but also about bugs, glitches and the fragility of modern software, where random stuff happens and nobody knows why (for example just look at the Windows10 thread where people complain about the Start Menu not working anymore).
    He also mentions programmers constantly reinventing the wheel for no good reason and still struggling with the same issues (probably because most of them don't know the history of their own field).

#16 rcf, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    pharma, milk and green.pixel like this.
  17. milk

Veteran Regular

Look, you are correct. I'm not here yelling "hey, somebody fix all world problems form me!" I'm merely embracing this guy's pointing out how many things are crazily bellow optimal while a whole industry keeps building more ON TOP of the shaky base they didn't finish up completely on the first time.
    The world certainly has no obligation to be perfect for me. But I at least am happy to know there are software engineers out there who are tired of adding yet new features that barely work to products that are full of other features that don't work from the past 30 years.
    We shouldn't always complain, but we shouldn't never complain either.

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  18. tuna

Veteran

You had a computer that ran fast software. Then you ran slow software on it and now you complain that the computer is slow? If you do not want the new functionality, security etc, you do not have to update your software.

Modern web sites are software delivered as javascript to your browser. And there are many other browsers other than Chrome and Safari.

I work in modern software development. Do not underestimate the whiners in the world.

Yet people continue to use windows. I have heard people complain about windows since 1997, but for desktop use it is still the most used OS by a wide margin. So why should MS change?

#18 tuna, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2019
  19. tuna

Veteran

Voting with your wallet and usage is probably more effective.

Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  20. milk

Veteran Regular

Trust me, I do that as much as possible within my lifestyle while weighted against my other priorities.
    Still, I just like when the point of software/hardware ineficiency, overgenineering and instability is brought up because I feel like the general public has no idea how bad it actually is. It's not like our gadgets operate at half or a third of the speed they could, or that battery could last a couple hours more, I'm sure they could be multiple thousand times faster, if software was more tight and neat. And it's not like it's a avoidable, most problems and bugs riddling software today are modern versions of things discovered and learned at the birth of computing, and we've had knowledge of best practices to avoid the. since then, it just doesn't get used because our industry is drunk on it's own fetish for speed of innovation regardless of how much of that innovation ends up forgotten before it ever actually gets used. The sheer crazy ammout of poorly implemented abstraction layer and virtualization on top of abstraction layer doing redundant work many times over piles up to make almost everything be millions of times slower than they needed to be. It's not a small detail, it's a Frankenstein monster of planetary proportions.
    This wastes time, patience, sanity, energy, and generates tons of garbage, that could be avoided.

pharma likes this.