Dynamic resolution vs reconstructive rendering

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Proelite, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Proelite

Regular

Dynamic:
    Halo 5
    Division
    Doom

Reconstructive:
    Quantum Break
    Rainbow Six siege
    Killzone SF mp.

What are the pros and cons?

Which do you like to see more going forward, especially on Neo and Scorpio.

I feel reconstructive provides the most consistent image quality, but dynamic resolution is probably the more scalable across different platforms.

2. Rangers

Legend

I was just thinking the other day, given the thought 4k is too demanding for even Neo/Scorpio, maybe they can do dynamic 4k, just like we see today with 1080P.

Have I ever mentioned I hate dynamic res?

3. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

I don't think that the two approaches are actually comparable.

Dynamic scaling is used because it can adapt to the workload, really quickly, in order to keep frame rates stable.
    Reconstructive rendering serves a different purpose, as it can not adapt to peaks in the stress; it's main purpose is to enhance image quality by overcoming performance limitations.

The only common aspect is that both rely on a deeper understanding of human visual perception, by aiming to take advantage of its inherent weaknesses.

4. Scott_Arm

Legend

Give me both!

BRiT likes this.
  5. scently

Regular

Indeed. A game that can scale resolution dynamically while using reconstructive rendering will be best. Especially with the advent of Neo and Scorpio. Temporal image and motion resolution will be improved massively. Don't know how feasible it is though.

milk likes this.
  6. Proelite

Regular

Considering that dynamic reconstruction uses previous frames data, I as under the impression that these two methods are inherently incompatible if resolution changes are extremely often.

Shifty Geezer likes this.
  7. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

Isn't Halo 5 using some type of temporal AA? That'd require some level of reconstruction; and technically it should be possible - sure, image quality would suffer, but the entire point of dynamic scaling is that players can't stop to take screenshots when the workload gets higher ;)

Edit: als check DF's Doom tech interview, where Tiego talks about exactly this for a bit :))

#7 Laa-Yosh, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  8. Proelite

Regular

IMO dynamic resolution works best on 30fps titles. At 60fps I am able perceive the details better in motion so the resolution change is noticeable.

9. milk

Veteran Regular

Thats why idealy the game should only allow dynamic res adjustments under heavy motion, by checking the velocity buffer if one is avaliable or comparing current and past frames (like killzone on vita does). That way res only changes when its hard to notice it, and when stationary the engine allows the fps to drop in favor of image stability, which is also ok because the frame drop is also less noticeable if the scene is mostly static any way. Its the best of both worlds.

Scott_Arm and Laa-Yosh like this.