DX9... and what it gave to me :)

Anonymous

Veteran
I'd like to say something about new DX 9... It's awesome!

with my machine (AthlonXP 2000+ [~1.67GHz], 512DDR 333Mhz, Gigabyte KT-333 GA-7VRX Mobo, GeForce4 Ti4200 @275/550 64MB DDR, XP Pro...) it gave really a lot. I guess everyone now knows UT2003 and it's back-bending reqs, so I'll go straight to this... after installing new DX9 and running UT2003 I haven't noticed nothing really special, but... I had disabled Texture Filtering, running only on Bilinear, no Multi-Sample Masking, running on AA Quincunx with disabled Texture Sharpening. with settings about that I had average of 58-60 fps in DM-Antalus, and about 40-50 fps in CTF-Magma both on DX8 and DX9, but now...

just because I read some things about DX9 before I wanted to check something...

I selected Texture Filtering on Aniso level 8, selected full optimization for DX for all modes (in Riva Tuner You can easily set it up) and - no performance loss like it wasn't before, even more... performance increase, my fps got boosted for about 10 to even 20 something fps, depending on a map! but more, after turning on Multi-Sample Masking performance loss was about - 2, maybe 3 fps! and on AA Quincunx with Multi-Sample Masking it gives me the looks VERY close to AA 4x, but without so drastic performance loss... so, I don't know how it will work for ppl with different cards, but for all of You with GF4 Ti4200 it's worth at least to try! so far RivaTuner hasn't got full support of DX9, so I guess even more is to be achieved.

good luck :)

Back