DX11, the next frontier: OS unification

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
With the shift from dedicated GPUs that do all in hardware to GPGPUs that need and OS and everything that goes with it, I think DX11+ will be about having the GPGPU kernel absorbed into Windows. DX10 is currently laying the foundation to do just that.

GPGPU makers might be very happy with that transition, as they are first and foremost interested in designing hardware, not OSes.

Microsoft would definitely be very happy with that, as it allows them to make the rules.

The Linux crowd would be very happy with that, as long as they could get the low-level documentation needed to do it themselves.

The users should be very happy with that, as their games will simply work, without needing to jump through the hoops of getting just the right "driver" (actually an Application Programming Interface with compiler and libraries) installed to get it working. And even AMD cards would work well under Linux.

Then again, if AMD and nVidia consider their innards restricted and agree only to work with Microsoft under NDA, we all lose.

Fortunately, there is much more than Windows. Everyone (but Microsoft, unless it runs Windows Mobile) wants that vast amount of non-windows computers (including your watch, MP3 player, router, DVD player, navigation system and mobile phone, most of which run Linux or Symbian) to be able to display yummy 3D graphics.

Unfortunately, I don't think that AMD and nVidia want to hang out all the low-level specs for everyone to see, nor will they be able to make contracts with the Linux crowd (the only one that really matters), unless Linus abandons the OpenSource model. If he can. Although they might with Symbian.

Another interesting point to consider is, that it would be very cost-effective for the hardware manufacturers to drop OS development as soon as Microsoft takes over.

So, where does that leave Linux, or OpenGL SE as a valid platform? Or do we need Windows to run on the device to be able to have ass-kicking 3D graphics?

Do you WANT to pay for Windows on your watch, phone or MP3 player?

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw, I think an animated, 3D watch would kick ass. I haven't used a watch for ~20 years, but I would buy one that would make a spectacle of it. Which is the direction all those accessories are taking to make an impact and profilate themselves.

The simplest example is your mobile phone. Where are the nice 3D effects? My navigation system (my mobile phone) could really benefit from that.

Last edited by a moderator:
With DX10 arriving with vista wiill dX11 come with micerosoft's next OS you think or ill it take even longer?

DX9 lasted lamost half a decade after all..

Peac.e.

I gotta agree.

It's not happening.

What do you think the Games For Windows Initiative is for?

Desktop Linux is, IMO, ready for prime time. It'll do what most users need, with little fuss: email, websurfing(with flash, even), office stuff, listening to music.

The only thing missing, preventing a mass exodus(or not, who knows?) is games support.

Microsoft didn't come up with the GFW initiative because they want MORE people to come to PC gaming (any that do are icing on the cake).

With the shift from dedicated GPUs that do all in hardware to GPGPUs that need and OS and everything that goes with it, I think DX11+ will be about having the GPGPU kernel absorbed into Windows.

Just imagine how many security holes THAT would open up. :???: It would certainly be faster, but at what cost? Now, I could see them doing this for a game console, but not for a general-purpose PC.

The only thing missing, preventing a mass exodus [to Linux] (or not, who knows?) is games support.

You're confusing the gamer market with the market as a whole. The reality is that the mass exodus is not occurring because most people either a) don't know what Linux is (or even an OS for that matter - the "so long as it works" mentality), b) don't know how to switch or where to get it, c) are happy with Windows (you'd be surprised how many people are happy with Windows).

You're confusing the gamer market with the market as a whole. The reality is that the mass exodus is not occurring because most people either a) don't know what Linux is (or even an OS for that matter - the "so long as it works" mentality), b) don't know how to switch or where to get it, c) are happy with Windows (you'd be surprised how many people are happy with Windows).

You're correct, of course.

I believe, however, that nongamers don't like being told that the Sims won't work, too.

If WINE was 100% complete, and integrated into distributions by default, it'd be much easier to convince people to at least try out Linux. Of course, many probably do feel that windows is good enough.

Of course, many probably do feel that windows is good enough.

I'm one of them :) Windows has its shortfalls but I enjoy what I see as an OS with a very user-friendly yet still flexible interface and great compatibility. I couldn't go OSX for the last reason and I can't stand Linux because, last I checked, it lacks both. As long as Linux is an OS built by nerds, for nerds, I can't see it ever leaving its niche. Of course, I haven't used Linux once in two years. Perhaps some progress has been made. I've been hearing some good things.

MS's recent move to interconnect Xbox Live with this PC version I believe they called "Windows Live" seens like it will be a HUGE step forward. MS is correct that making the PC more like a console (for gaming at least) is a great way to keep the platform from shrinking furthern and perhaps even gain some share from consoles.

Besides the alternative OS's that would be screwed, I still think that integrating the graphics functionality into the Kernel is a terrible idea. I recently read a ATI/AMD interview that talked about all the bugs that can occur and how they often have to work around them via the drivers. I can just imagine the incredible number of crashes that would occur system-wide if all of this was running as part of the kernel.

Back